Viewing figures for The Open are out .... Shocking!

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Plenty on this thread sound like their opinions are attempts at self-justification for their £60 plus a month habit, suckling on the Murdoch teat.

It cannot be a good thing for golf, however you try and dress it up, that millions watched on the BBC in the past and a significantly smaller number watch it now that it is on Sky. To say otherwise is very silly.

Depends entirely on how the R&A use the extra 7 or so million quid a year

D

Deleted member 16999

Plenty on this thread sound like their opinions are attempts at self-justification for their £60 plus a month habit, suckling on the Murdoch teat.

It cannot be a good thing for golf, however you try and dress it up, that millions watched on the BBC in the past and a significantly smaller number watch it now that it is on Sky. To say otherwise is very silly.

Also going on about it is silly, the BBC made a decision, now we are left with simple choices, Internet, Sky or Radio, it's not about justifying paying for Sky, as others have said it was available for free on many platforms.

I have Sky, but not the Sports, I never missed any of it.

It's now down to the R&A to ensure they use the money wisely to attract people to the game

D

Deleted member 18588

Sky treat you like a child they constantly tell you to be excited and try to wow and gee everyone up it is insulting and condescending the treat you like it's the first time you have ever seen a golf club.

The exhibition of golf that I saw on sunday was the greatest I have seen in 33 years of loving this sport I didn't need to be told to be excited it's not football.

Golf is generally watched by golfers, the BBC understood that, if you were not excited already watching the golf on Sunday then maybe golf isn't the sport for you.

But then there really is not anywhere worse for self-aggrandisement and hype than Radio Best Mate otherwise known as 5 Live.

Constantly bulling up any programme on BBC and in their sports coverage claiming to have the best coverage with the best commentators.

It is a characteristic of modern broadcasting, whether on TV or radio, to make constant claims that an event is the best, most exciting ever and that the broadcaster's coverage somehow adds something. In my experience it doesn't.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sky won't care over first year viewing figures. It will build over the years once people get used to the idea. Peter Alliss can't go on forever (the Beebs only pull for their coverage). As for the live figures, hold it where there are more people, in the south Of England. or at least with better (quicker /easier) access. Scotland is a pig of a drive up to, even from the North of England. From the Midlands or even South, nuts to that !

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
3 hours from Manchester to Glasgow and motorway all the way. What's so bad about that? 5 hours from Birmingham and again motorway all the way.

You've never driven on the M6, have you? :D

But in all seriousness, the point you make is perfectly valid.

Last edited:

Radbourne2010

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mmksolutions.co.uk
I was constantly contacted by www.connoisseurgolf.com trying to get rid of their Hospitality packages, which included reserved seats in 18th Grandstand all week. Eventually they were willing to do a deal 60% cheaper than advertised, even on the Thursday of the event! Attendance figures were down by 30,000 over the week compared to 2004. Is it any wonder when priced at £80 for the day plus getting there & back and adding food, drink and other sundries? That said, the logistics in & around Troon were top notch. Trains from Glasgow on Sat morning for instance at peak times (8-10am) were going every 10 minutes to Troon with Shuttle buses to the Course every 2-3 minutes.
The Grandstands at virtually every hole were also a step up on 2004, although at areas like holes 7 & 8 it actually took away the spectacle I'd enjoyed at the last two events there watching the booming drives down 7 from the bank on the left & getting a ground level view of shots on Postage Stamp. The Video Boards on every other hole were very much in keeping with a regular PGA Tour event & did away with the Archaic manual scoreboard system in operation at most European Tour events.
The build-up on Sky, which started on Tuesday, was very entertaining but way over the top. Suspect in a couple of years that will be scaled back a touch.

One caveat, I went to a bar in Glasgow on Friday late afternoon/evening. The Open was on every screen in the packed pub near Central Station until 7.30-8pm so not sure if these figures are taken into account.

It's also interesting that the actual crowds were significantly lower than anticipated, with partially empty grandstands throughout. Pretty sure Sky can't be blamed for that!

However, the actual viewing figures for Sky can only really be compared with BBC in a very simplistic manner, completely ignoring all other factors. The 'reach' of a subscription based service vs a 'free to air' service is always going to be considerably lower, and if reach was a primary objective for the R&A, they should never have sold the rights to Sky.

But ultimately I'm not very surprised by the figures - I think they're about right, arguably slightly better when compared to our no. 1 sport, football: Sky's (2015, before BT) Champions League games for the early qualifiers and griup stages avergae just below 800,000 compared to ITVs just below 5million. Are we concerned about footballs reach? The figures get even worse if we take BTs Champions League figures - <250k watched BT, 1.3m watched ITVs highlights).

I strongly believe what attracts people is the participants - McIlroys Open victory attracted more viewers than Zach Js, on the same channel. These are comparable figures. What was the difference? The interesting thing this year is the live crowds swelled when McIlroy (fro example, a big and popular name) teed off on Friday, but dipped when his star fell. If this weeks Top 2 / Big 3 / Fab 4 / Fantastic 5 (delete as appropriate) fell to mount a challenge, interest drops. For example on BT who free to aired both European Finals this year - Champs Lge Final, the pinnacle of the game, 1.8m; the Europa Final (many peoples tin cup /pointless trophy), 5m. The difference was the participants. I don't think Sky will be concerned yet.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
3 hours from Manchester to Glasgow and motorway all the way. What's so bad about that? 5 hours from Birmingham and again motorway all the way.

Yes, but you missed the other bit. England is a more densely populated area than Scotland so more will be inclined to jump in the motor and go and watch live. Also, there is still a hold on wage increases, so to factor in petrol, accomodation (everyones on the make especially the house owners, this I know for a fact!!!!) food and drink prices when you get in not to mention 80 notes to get in. Sorry way out of my buget, and I suggest many others.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
£80 for over 12 hours of action with the top golfers in the world. Good value IMO when you consider how much it is to watch an hour and half in the premiership, what is it a ticket now? £45-£50.

What gets my goat is food prices, £7.50 for a burger + £3 for chips

Might be good value, but if you haven't got it or can't justify or afford to spend £80 in this way then value for money doesn't matter a jot.

My brother and I thought about going down on the Sunday as we were at family home 35miles from Troon - - but when we discovered the cost we knocked it on the head - and we could both afford it. Instead we watched it on Sky.

Last edited:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes, but you missed the other bit. England is a more densely populated area than Scotland so more will be inclined to jump in the motor and go and watch live. Also, there is still a hold on wage increases, so to factor in petrol, accomodation (everyones on the make especially the house owners, this I know for a fact!!!!) food and drink prices when you get in not to mention 80 notes to get in. Sorry way out of my buget, and I suggest many others.

Other than a small stretch in the NW England doesn't have enough quality championship links to hold Open championships. (I haven't forgotten about RSG just generalising here)

So, forget the distance it's the cost when you're there that puts you off then?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Sky Subscribers - 10 mil

So 10% watched the final days play - thats actually not that bad when looked at in the cold light of day - when you consider they have only got to a million once ( RC Medina ) it's ok and would say expected levels

How much extra did Sky pay - £5mil ? ( think their contract was £15mil where as the previous BBC one was £10mil ) so there isn't much more money to go around and think a lot of that will go on the extra prize money

I don't know what schemes the R&A do - do they give funds to any of the golf unions ? Can't recall anything from them at our place but do see schemes from EGU ?.

Would be interested to know what they will do to help improve participation and grassroots golf.

As for the crowds on the day - one of our members goes to every Open with his 7 mates and they said there was something feeling different about the comp this year , they said the buzz just wasn't there and it felt a bit flat a lot of the times - whilst the golf being played was out of this world the atmosphere didn't match it throughout the 4 days ? Reading some comments on social media it seems a popular thought ? Maybe it being a two horse race had something to do with it ? But on telly there seemed to be more excitement and atmosphere with the Johnstone group ?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sky Subscribers - 10 mil

So 10% watched the final days play - thats actually not that bad when looked at in the cold light of day - when you consider they have only got to a million once ( RC Medina ) it's ok and would say expected levels

How much extra did Sky pay - £5mil ? ( think their contract was £15mil where as the previous BBC one was £10mil ) so there isn't much more money to go around and think a lot of that will go on the extra prize money

I don't know what schemes the R&A do - do they give funds to any of the golf unions ? Can't recall anything from them at our place but do see schemes from EGU ?.

Would be interested to know what they will do to help improve participation and grassroots golf.

As for the crowds on the day - one of our members goes to every Open with his 7 mates and they said there was something feeling different about the comp this year , they said the buzz just wasn't there and it felt a bit flat a lot of the times - whilst the golf being played was out of this world the atmosphere didn't match it throughout the 4 days ? Reading some comments on social media it seems a popular thought ? Maybe it being a two horse race had something to do with it ? But on telly there seemed to be more excitement and atmosphere with the Johnstone group ?

how many have Sky sports of those as surely thats the more important figure? nearer 5-6m?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

I think someone touched upon it the other week and being there on Thursday I thought the same, it wasn't exactly a spectator friendly course IMO. There were lots of places where you couldn't see anything, I think we landed the best spot on the back of the 9th green where you could also see the 10th tee. In other spots you were miles from the action rather than being at the side of the fairway.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sky Subscribers - 10 mil

Is that 10m Sky Sports subscribers or just some form of Sky? Seems a lot.

Re the atmosphere, tbh other than 2 outrageous rounds apiece from Stenson and Mickelson it was pretty attritional stuff and, in the main, not particularly exciting viewing. The last day was obviously out of this world by the final pairing but elsewhere nothing much was happening and a lot of the "superstars" were nowhere. JB Holmes 14 shots behind in 3rd place isn't going to whip up a frenzy is it!? Throw in the bad weather and I'm not really surprised by their view of the atmosphere.

On the attendances, seem to be in keeping with other opens at Troon? Each Open attracts different sized crowds for different reasons.

Comparing Sky's £15m to BBC £10m is a red herring aswell. There would have been significantly less than £10m if they'd stuck with the Beeb, maybe zero if the Beeb really didn't want it and Sky didn't step in. No competition for the rights = low cost, not like the PL with BT and others bidding.

D

Deleted member 15344

how many have Sky sports of those as surely thats the more important figure? nearer 5-6m?

Sorry yeah it's between 5 and 6 million Sky Sports subscribers and there is around 12 mil subscribers to Sky so it's about 20% of the Sports subscribers who watched the golf which i think is prob the expected number

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sorry yeah it's between 5 and 6 million Sky Sports subscribers and there is around 12 mil subscribers to Sky so it's about 20% of the Sports subscribers who watched the golf which i think is prob the expected number

I expect sky will be more than happy with that number, they will also do everything to ensure its not on the same weekend as the Lords test match next year I expect.

Ultimately it would be great if we could get the coverage sky provide on free to air tv but that horse has now bolted (on pretty much every sport)

Any idea on the Beeb viewing figures for the highlights?

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is it just me who doesn't give a flying flip about growing the game and TV viewing Figures?
Same as I wouldn't if I played Football Darts Snooker or Tiddlywinks, as I'd imagine there all in decline too.