Viewing figures for The Open are out .... Shocking!

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The point on viewing figures is moot really - the BBC didn't want to show it live and didn't bid. What were the R&A supposed to do.

As far as grandstands are concerned a large number are reserved seating so even if there is a queue to get in they won't be filled. Frustrating as these are the best seats usually. Almost always allocated to sponsors.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
TV rights can be a very touchy subject and believe me be careful what you wish for. Scottish football tried to hold all to rights and hold for the highest bidder (Setanta) and after they went pop our final option was BBC who paid Scottish football less than Gary Lineker.

Be greatful for Sky, they will pump plenty into it and the R&A will reciprocate into the foundations of the game.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
In between all the beer menu's (mines also a Stella) I have only seen one set of figures from the OP. I know someone (may have been LP, may have been someone else) from the Mail which varied greatly and so I am wondering how accurate these numbers are to start with. Ultimately though as long as the R&A turn a profit and then reinvest the funds to help the game here and abroad what's the real issue at the end of it all?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Wow it broke records for low viewing figures, must have been good.

Thats a totally irrelevant point.

as shown in previous posts. Percentage was, the same if not more of the target audience watched it.

I never watch the soaps, ever. But if I finish a programme and pop in the garden for half an hour and it's on. It still counts for the figures. Much like my second aunt twice removed Marge, who may well have the open on but couldn't name a player, venue or previous record.

Everyone who wanted to watch it did so. Anybody who didn't (bar maybe the 3 people in a village who don't get 2mb download speed) missed out by their own stubbornness and nothing else.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Sky treat you like a child they constantly tell you to be excited and try to wow and gee everyone up it is insulting and condescending the treat you like it's the first time you have ever seen a golf club.

The exhibition of golf that I saw on sunday was the greatest I have seen in 33 years of loving this sport I didn't need to be told to be excited it's not football.

Golf is generally watched by golfers, the BBC understood that, if you were not excited already watching the golf on Sunday then maybe golf isn't the sport for you.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Sky treat you like a child they constantly tell you to be excited and try to wow and gee everyone up it is insulting and condescending the treat you like it's the first time you have ever seen a golf club.

The exhibition of golf that I saw on sunday was the greatest I have seen in 33 years of loving this sport I didn't need to be told to be excited it's not football.

Golf is generally watched by golfers, the BBC understood that, if you were not excited already watching the golf on Sunday then maybe golf isn't the sport for you.

That sounds like you are really insecure, being affronted by Sky's hype. To the uninitiated, hype might encourage them into the game or at least to watch more.

As for the viewing figures being shocking; I'd be surprised if the R and A didn't do their research and know within 10,000 how many Sky subscribers there are and how many were likely to switch on.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The numbers are not "shocking" shocking but sad shocking. The amount of people who go could not watch it live is sad.

The real message is the BBC needs to revamp to be able to offer free to air live sports like the open, they lost it for a few good reasons and sky probably did a better job of covering it.

With all this modern technology we should be able to buy our Viewing piece by piece but that's hardly profitable. Unless TV learns from the microtransactions much used and often maligned in the gaming industry.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
That sounds like you are really insecure, being affronted by Sky's hype. To the uninitiated, hype might encourage them into the game or at least to watch more.

As for the viewing figures being shocking; I'd be surprised if the R and A didn't do their research and know within 10,000 how many Sky subscribers there are and how many were likely to switch on.

If wanting to be treat like an adult rather than a child makes me insecure, then maybe I am.

D

Deleted member 16999

If wanting to be treat like an adult rather than a child makes me insecure, then maybe I am.

It's not how you're treated that makes you a child, it's the way you react.

This goes for everyone, we are all intelligent people and know the difference between fact and spin, all advertising is done to draw you in, Sky are a business and profit is their base line.
Don't like it, don't watch it, the moaning about adverts and commentators and coverage is daft, you're an adult, no one forced you!

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Maybe some of you are missing the big point that the UK TV audience is only a small percentage of the worldwide viewers.

The coverage this year was miles better than anything before, the finale also. The R&A are more interested in the potential of the remaining untapped worldwide public rather than the stale UK golfing fraternity.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
It's not how you're treated that makes you a child, it's the way you react.

This goes for everyone, we are all intelligent people and know the difference between fact and spin, all advertising is done to draw you in, Sky are a business and profit is their base line.
Don't like it, don't watch it, the moaning about adverts and commentators and coverage is daft, you're an adult, no one forced you!

Its fine I watched Sky footage with the sound off and had the golf on the radio, it gave me something to listen to during their many adverts.

I love the Open just because Sky tried there best to ruin it doesn't mean I cannot watch it.

S

Snelly

Plenty on this thread sound like their opinions are attempts at self-justification for their £60 plus a month habit, suckling on the Murdoch teat.

It cannot be a good thing for golf, however you try and dress it up, that millions watched on the BBC in the past and a significantly smaller number watch it now that it is on Sky. To say otherwise is very silly.