The Open 2016 - TV Coverage

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Same old arguments.

The only people watching golf on TV are already committed golfers. Broadcast TV is a dead end and future golfers will be found in the on demand streaming and social media networks. So arguing about whether Sky or BBC is better for attracting new players is irrelevant when the entire landscape of media is changing around us.

D

Deleted member 16999

You can't compare the two events

Both have different appeals and tennis have quite a big viewing population

The BBC has to try and cater for all the population - Wimbledon is clearly a big audience for them

Why should they prioritise an event that has less viewers and is only on for 4 days as opposed to 13/14 for Wimbledon

Of course I can compare, I'm a licence payer and have a right to an opinion.

To me The Open should have as much or if not more clout than Wimbledon,

And the BBC have let some people down by giving it up a year early.

D

Deleted member 15344

Of course I can compare, I'm a licence payer and have a right to an opinion.

To me The Open should have as much or if not more clout than Wimbledon,

And the BBC have let some people down by giving it up a year early.

Or the R&A let some people down by going for more more money instead of more viewers

It's always easy to target the BBC

D

Deleted member 16999

Or the R&A let some people down by going for more more money instead of more viewers

It's always easy to target the BBC

The target is only the BBC in this case as I am legally obliged to pay for a TV Licence and they had the Golf for years.
Can't really target ITV etc.

selwood90

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not a casual viewer and I won't be able to watch it live now that it's not on the BBC and I suspect that there will be many more like me who won't pay the Sky dollar who, therefore, will also be missing out on live coverage.

I'm in the same boat. Don't have sky, or the spare income to pay the 60 something quid a month they want for the sports channels. May well get a day pass if they are reasonably priced on 2 of the days and settle for highlights on the first 2.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of the most annoying things about the BBCs Open coverage is that it just didn't progress over recent years, no effort made whatsoever to inject some life into the coverage. Same dull commentators and the usual handful hanging about who've never even played the game to any kind of standard.
Michael Vaughan interviewing Tiger at the Masters? Embarrassing stuff.

Compared to their Wimbledon coverage which is excellent and the amount of Money and effort which is pumped into the Glastonbury coverage it just comes across that it had been low on their list of priorities for some time.

They could of and should of made it work, it's a shame they didn't.

Sky will do a fantastic job, no doubt.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. Don't have sky, or the spare income to pay the 60 something quid a month they want for the sports channels..

Do what I did and get an android box so you can stream ALL sport and movies free...
I was a loyal Sky customer for 21 years, however the cost in the end became disproportionate in relation to other bills. Sky have become too gready - simple as.
Now I have left they have offered me £100 credit and channels for half price. If they offered me this before I left I would have stayed, however the offers to stay were pathetic. It just goes to show how gready they are and if they treated me with some respect they would not have lost my custom.
And before certain others say "so it's ok for me to watch while others pay" well sorry yes if they choose to pay so be it, but at the end of the day Sky should not have tried to rip me off.
Bridges burnt....

DCB

Visit site
At least if it gets carried over to the Monday I bet we'll get to see it all.

Are you saying the BBC wouldn't show full coverage on a Monday 😉

They managed to fit the tennis in on Sunday didn't they .... 😉

BBC lost interest in Golf a long time ago, I think Sky will do a great job this year and will drive forward in future years. If we are relying on one week in the year to keep our sport alive then we're stuffed already.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site

BBC lost interest in Golf a long time ago, I think Sky will do a great job this year and will drive forward in future years. If we are relying on one week in the year to keep our sport alive then we're stuffed already.

This post sums it up perfectly for me.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The coverage itself will be superb - the adverts , Monty , Roe and Radar will be the annoyances - if they give prominent roles to Howell ( unless he is playing ) and Dougherty then the commentary will be good.

They will throw every bit of technology at it and for a golf lover it will be great

It's the 3-4 million casual viewers that the sport has lost that is the issue.

Howler has qualified, not sure how or where.:confused:

I think he will make an excellent lead commentator in years to come.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

In fairness they don't have top programmes like cash in the attic or bargain hunters to reschedule on a Sunday.... :rolleyes:

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Same old arguments.

The only people watching golf on TV are already committed golfers. Broadcast TV is a dead end and future golfers will be found in the on demand streaming and social media networks. So arguing about whether Sky or BBC is better for attracting new players is irrelevant when the entire landscape of media is changing around us.

My Mum tuned in for Rory winning 2 years ago, no chance of her picking up the clubs, so there's no doubt depending on what way it goes the viewing figures can dramatically increase on the BBC but it won't translate to people picking up the sport.

Good point re: Streaming and on-demand, this is the present and the future of young peoples consumption. I've no issue with Sky having it - they wanted it. It's the same as tennis - I will watch some of Wimbledon but have no intention of taking it up. Same as rugby, formula 1, pro-kabaddi etc.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My Mum tuned in for Rory winning 2 years ago, no chance of her picking up the clubs, so there's no doubt depending on what way it goes the viewing figures can dramatically increase on the BBC but it won't translate to people picking up the sport.

Good point re: Streaming and on-demand, this is the present and the future of young peoples consumption. I've no issue with Sky having it - they wanted it. It's the same as tennis - I will watch some of Wimbledon but have no intention of taking it up. Same as rugby, formula 1, pro-kabaddi etc.

Shame. I was hoping for a GM kabbadi team soon

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
I Think Mike H mentioned some time ago BBC didn't bid for it at all , & then gave it up a yr early .. ( I could be wrong tho )

you remembered pretty nearly correctly William

bidding for the live rights from 2017 went like this...
first round bids... BBC did bid but went in very low (small increase on current figure), sky went in very high (they bid well over the odds). In subsequent discussions it soon became very clear BBC didn't want live rights only highlights
Feb 2015 R&A announced sky had won live rights from 2017
In June 2015 the BBC denied reports they wanted to end their live coverage a year early
In September 2015 BBC asked to be released a year early from their contract. sky were asked by the R&A if they would broadcast from 2016 - they took the opportunity

Oxfordcomma

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Think both sides are right here tbh. Sky will put more effort in and produce a better live broadcast, because as many have said this wasn't a priority for the BBC.

But for many, me included, this means they just won't see it without resorting to illegal streams and I know you disagree Mike but I think that has to be bad for the game.

Illegal streams is what I plan to do, anyway, for me it's the hurdle of giving money to Murdoch that is insurmountable. If BT had won the rights I'd probably be coughing up for the subscription.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Positives about the coverage going to Sky ...... no more Mark James, Hazel Irvine and Peter Alliss ........ the prosecution rests your Honour.