The Open 2016 - TV Coverage

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
So with Sky Sports have live coverage this year, the BBC are showing highlights each evening as expected, all standard stuff

However ....

I've just noticed that Thursday Live coverage is also being shown on Sky 1, so a better chance of more viewers at least on that day!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Will it make a difference which Sky channel it's on if people haven't got access to it or don't want to watch their coverage. Personally I'm really looking forward to seeing how they go about it

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Plenty of people who have Virgin or other systems get some Sky channels. We get Sky 1 so I'll be watching it on that.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Plenty of people who have Virgin or other systems get some Sky channels. We get Sky 1 so I'll be watching it on that.

I agree Imurg and get my Sky via Virgin. However I feel there will be a lot who don't have simple access and won't get a Sky pass or watch it on Ipad or mobile. The viewing figures vs the BBC's last year will be interesting, but I do feel they will invest the effort into making a good viewing spectacle in the way they do with the Ryder Cup

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Sky will not hold back in my opinion, the coverage will be excellent, bar the adverts.
Only time will tell if it's a good thing, I enjoyed the bbc as well.

D

Deleted member 15344

The coverage itself will be superb - the adverts , Monty , Roe and Radar will be the annoyances - if they give prominent roles to Howell ( unless he is playing ) and Dougherty then the commentary will be good.

They will throw every bit of technology at it and for a golf lover it will be great

It's the 3-4 million casual viewers that the sport has lost that is the issue.

D

Deleted member 16999

It's the BBC that has ruined it for the casual Golf viewer, whether the viewing figures are up or down good luck to Sky.

We have one Scottish Tennis player with a realistic chance of winning Wimbledon and we suffer endless hours of Tennis coverage for 14 days, sometimes on both BBC 1 and 2, we have a number of British Golfers in with a chance of winning, imo, the worlds best Golf tournament and we get highlights for a few hours over 4 days.

Thank god Sky were willing to pay up otherwise we'd be following it on the net.

10 days of Wimbledon are during the working week!

D

Deleted member 15344

It's the BBC that has ruined it for the casual Golf viewer, whether the viewing figures are up or down good luck to Sky.

We have one Scottish Tennis player with a realistic chance of winning Wimbledon and we suffer endless hours of Tennis coverage for 14 days, sometimes on both BBC 1 and 2, we have a number of British Golfers in with a chance of winning, imo, the worlds best Golf tournament and we get highlights for a few hours over 4 days.

Thank god Sky were willing to pay up otherwise we'd be following it on the net.

10 days of Wimbledon are during the working week!

Sorry I'm not sure how BBC have ruined it ?

For the The Open they showed live coverage from 7/8 in the morning until 8 at night 12 hours a day until the Sunday which started around 10/11ish

D

Deleted member 16999

Ruined it for the casual viewer, not how they covered it.

D

Deleted member 15344

Ruined it for the casual viewer, not how they covered it.

But How did they ruin it though ?

Over 4 million watched last years Open

They got out bid by Sky who want to have all the main sports on their channel.

D

Deleted member 16999

But How did they ruin it though ?

Over 4 million watched last years Open

They got out bid by Sky who want to have all the main sports on their channel.

As per your post it's possible 3-4 million casual viewers may or may not view it, some of them may have taken up Golf.

As a licence payer I think the BBC were wrong to give it up a year earlier and not to try and outbid Sky, the amount they spend on Tennis compared to The Open is wrong.

D

Deleted member 21258

It's the 3-4 million casual viewers that the sport has lost that is the issue.

I'm gutted I don't have sky and IIRC BBC gave up the rights a year early but gutted whatever :(

I think it is bad for the sport, think about tennis and the public/private members tennis courts, when wimbledon is on it is busier as a result of being on telly.

Got to be a bad news for golf clubs/driving ranges and casual golfers who get encouraged to play due to telly showing golf and also youngsters not perhaps having a go due to it being on telly

However I am gutted:p

D

Deleted member 15344

As per your post it's possible 3-4 million casual viewers may or may not view it, some of them may have taken up Golf.

As a licence payer I think the BBC were wrong to give it up a year earlier and not to try and outbid Sky, the amount they spend on Tennis compared to The Open is wrong.

But for the Tennis they get two whole weeks of coverage

They get over 10 million alone just for the final - it's one of the most popular events on the Sporting Telly Calendar.

The viewing figures suggest the outlay is right

Same as what they judge The Open

There are prob a lot more license payers who would complain if the BBC overpaid for The Open.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have one Scottish Tennis player with a realistic chance of winning Wimbledon and we suffer endless hours of Tennis coverage for 14 days, sometimes on both BBC 1 and 2 .....
not sure I understand this, Wimbledon is shown for fourteen days because that's the length of the tournament. The Open is shown, and was shown on BBC, for the full 4 days too.

...we have a number of British Golfers in with a chance of winning, imo, the worlds best Golf tournament and we get highlights for a few hours over 4 days.
again, don't really understand what your saying. BBC showed the live coverage when they could, and now they can only show highlights. Are you suggesting they should do?

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd imagine The Sky coverage will come across as far more professional and appealing to Golfers than the usual dumbed down BBC coverage we're used to.

I honestly think if a casual viewer was previously looking in, maybe curious about giving golf a try, the sight of Ken Brown rolling balls on greens trying to convince us that Gravity is amazing and floating Rubber ducks down the Swilken Burn...They'd think, Nah I'll give it a swerve.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

not sure I understand this, Wimbledon is shown for fourteen days because that's the length of the tournament. The Open is shown, and was shown on BBC, for the full 4 days too.

again, don't really understand what your saying. BBC showed the live coverage when they could, and now they can only show highlights. Are you suggesting they should do?

They gave up The Open a year early when they didn't have too.

Not complaining about the standard of the live coverage they showed when they showed it.

In my opinion they have got the priorities wrong, showing a Major event which could inspire British kids should be a priority, Tennis has one player, Golf has many.

There are approx 3 Million people participating in Tennis in the UK compared to 4 Million who participate in Golf.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I'm not a casual viewer and I won't be able to watch it live now that it's not on the BBC and I suspect that there will be many more like me who won't pay the Sky dollar who, therefore, will also be missing out on live coverage.

D

Deleted member 15344

They gave up The Open a year early when they didn't have too.

Not complaining about the standard of the live coverage they showed when they showed it.

In my opinion they have got the priorities wrong, showing a Major event which could inspire British kids should be a priority, Tennis has one player, Golf has many.

There are approx 3 Million people participating in Tennis in the UK compared to 4 Million who participate in Golf.

You can't compare the two events

Both have different appeals and tennis have quite a big viewing population

The BBC has to try and cater for all the population - Wimbledon is clearly a big audience for them

Why should they prioritise an event that has less viewers and is only on for 4 days as opposed to 13/14 for Wimbledon