The most famous hole in golf to be lengthened!!

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Over a 100 years untouched but even it hasn't escaped the relentless quest for more length in golf....where will it all end??

OLD COURSE ROAD HOLE TO BE LENGTHENED

AHEAD OF 2010 OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP AT ST ANDREWS

NEWS RELEASE ISSUED BY THE R&A
16 October 2009, St Andrews, Scotland: The 17th hole of the Old Course will be lengthened ahead of the 150th Anniversary of The Open Championship at St Andrews. The ‘Road Hole’, which has remained the same length for more than 100 years, will increase in length by some 35 yards to 490 yards. A new Championship tee will be constructed on the practice range of St Andrews Links Trust.
It has long been suggested that the 17th hole would benefit from additional length to restore the original challenge of the hole. In advance of the 1964 St Andrews Open, three-time Open Champion, Henry Cotton, recommended the alteration stating: “I would make a tee just beyond the railway line on the other course [he was referring to the Eden Course which is now the practice range]. It would restore this drive to its former value.”
An increased premium will be placed on an accurate drive of sufficient length over the sheds, encouraging players to take driver from the tee. The fairway will be widened slightly on the left hand side to ensure that the tee shot remains fair. Crucially, the difficulty of the second shot will be re-established, making it more difficult to hold the approach on the putting surface and increasing the threat posed by both the road behind the green and the Road Bunker.
“The 17th was played at the same yardage in 1900 as it was in 2005 and this fuelled our belief that the formidable challenge of this iconic hole should be returned for The Open Championship,” said Peter Dawson, Chief Executive of The R&A.

“Over the years, we have seen the threat from the road behind the green, and to a lesser extent the Road Bunker, diminished as players have been hitting shorter irons for their approach shots allowing them to avoid these hazards more easily. This change will ensure that the hole plays as it was originally intended.”

“We have spent some time discussing this with The R&A and I know they have carefully considered making this change for The Open Championship,” said Alan McGregor, Chief Executive of St Andrews Links Trust.

“The Road Hole is the most famous hole in world golf and we believe the changes will increase the challenge of the hole whilst remaining true to its spirit.”

Work on the new Championship tee will commence in the coming weeks. The lengthening of the ‘Road Hole’ is the only significant change planned for the Old Course ahead of the 2010 Open Championship.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
But I see their point - if they're hitting 7's and 8's into the green, the bunker and the road become bystanders barely in the game.
It looks like its only for the pro championships so Joe Average isn't going to suffer. It is a shame but to make it the challenge it was when I started watching golf in the 80's something's got to be done.

Screwback

Tour Rookie
Visit site
dont think the extra length is a bad thing but i dont think that was the hole that needed it. The pros always seem to worry about that hole and there are still some big numbers posted there each tournament that is held at st andrews.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
After watching limited amounts of the Dunhill Links the other week I hardly saw any of the pros go down the right side to leave the "easier" shot into the green.

They are so long that I actually think it played harder for the pros, nearly all of them were in the deep left rough with no real shot to the green and a lot of them just playing for the front right edge. To get the drive down the right they were having to shape the ball towards the OOB fence which is not something they want to be doing.

How many came off saying 4 was a great score on 17 and 5 wasn't to be scoffed at!! Leave it alone

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think that all this lengthening of courses is a good thing at all, just because some mega talented,well coached & practiced pro's can get round a course 3 or 4 under shouldn't cause the panic that it does.Why do we pay money to watch pro golf? surely it isn't to watch the cream struggle in 8ft deep rough and try to get out of seemingly impossible bunkers in less than 6 shots is it? I think it's to see how good golf can be played when you are prepared to put the time and effort in to it. If the likes of us club golfers were doing it they might have a case but lets not forget just how good these guy's are and if it bruises the ego's of the odd golf course architect then so be it.To quote Geoff Ogilvy in a recent interview "I'm looking forward to playing a major that is not touted as the longest toughest major yet!"

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
I think it will be a good thing, the hole was starting to play to short for the pro's who were knocking short irons in this should give it a bit more bite again

DavidWhite

Banned
Visit site
Well the R&A said the point was that they now have to hit drivers off the hole. I like that. I hate seeing the most famous holes that are supposed to be long and tough get hybrid/9ironed.

Driving should be a big part of the game and some of the longer guys can pretty much just hit fairway woods all day off the tee.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think its not a bad thing, making the drive more of a challenge. Imagine standing there on the Sunday with the OB, knowing that left will be tricky and that even a good drive will leave you being challenged by the Road Hole bunker and the problems long. I guess the proof will be in the pudding next year.

DMC

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think this was on the cards for a while now,to many courses are losing there bite due to the distance pro's are hitting the ball,anything that brings back some degree of difficulty should be welcomend.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
For a moment there I thought they were lengthening the 12th, 16th or 18th at Augusta. Thankfully it's just some ancient old hole in Scotland somewhere <phew>

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Ain't never going to play there so really don't give a stuff. It is like someone saying they are changing some Japanese grammar, who cares?

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Ain't never going to play there so really don't give a stuff. It is like someone saying they are changing some Japanese grammar, who cares?

Me.

TBH rather than lengthen the hole, I'd personally prefer it if they restricted the length and efficiency of modern equipment.

I know it'll never happen, but it'd be easy to make the pros use a shorter ball, and then we'd see how the modern guys shape up against the old boys.

:p

matt01

Head Pro
Visit site
if they do make it long by 30 yards as they are saying it will not add that much i would say if the wind picks up it would add more that the 30 yards,so maybe they should just leave it

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
They're only making it longer for the pros so no problem with me. It's meant to be a long approach shot. Was a 2 iron for me when I played it after a perfect drive, which makes it formidable. Isn't that part of the attraction of the hole?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Um, never going to play there because:

It's too expensive, too far away, and you can't book it unless you stay there, which I never will.

I would guess that for the money, in Scotland, there are better courses.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Your missing a treat Murph...if you were ever up I would gladly arrange it and play it with you and as a well educated man I would be willing to bet you would love the subleties and intrigue of the Mother of Golf....Do it before you disappear off earth.

Oh and you don't need to stay there to play.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
.....and you can book it, either by entering the ballot if you've got one other to play with, or in advance if you plan to stay at an hotel there.

You're right, though, Murph. There are better courses for the money...but fewer better experiences.