OGC memorable moments

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
With the Open a couple of weeks away I've been thinking of previous ones.
First recollection was Peter Thompson winning at Birkdale in 1965 on black and white TV.
Interviewed after by Harry Carpenter, he asked him if Birkdale was his favourite course.
"Probably." replied Thompson.
1975 at Carnoustie the only one I ever went to. Saw the top of Jack Nicklaus's head, and can't remember much else.
1978 St Andrews. Nakajima at the Road Hole.
1999 Carnoustie. Jean van de Velde would have won had he taken a drop from the burn on the 18th.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
golf-course.jpg

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1977 for me
Nicklaus and Watson 'Duel in the Sun'

It was the year I first started playing. I was staying at the in laws the other half was happy to just sit in the garden chatting to her Mum and Dad whilst I watched it on their colour TV (we only had black and white).

Part of what got me really hooked on the game.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I only missed attending one Open from 1976 to 1999, I've only been to a couple since. Always went for the week, watching the local lads in Final Qualifying on Sunday and Monday, then practice followed by the four rounds (it finished on a Saturday until 1980).
Favourite memories - 1976, Johnny Miller's year, the crippling heat and the first sighting of Seve. 1977 and the Tom and Jack show, I remember exactly where I was when they played the iconic 72nd hole. 1978 with Jack (my favourite player) hunting down Simon Owen on a course completely changed by the different wind direction in the final round. 1979 and Seve's magical victory at Royal Lytham. 1987 and Faldo's emergence from the doldrums. Greg Norman destroying Royal St George's in 1993. John Daly at St Andrews in 1995 (mainly for Costantino Rocca celebrating 'that putt' from the Valley of Sin.
Happy Days

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
For those who remember the Open Golf Championship as it was then called, and not by some other name, they will know it wasn't all about money.
It was more about the honour of winning it. Arnold Palmer was one to thank for this. He did a large amount to publicise it in America.
Reading the above post brings back memories for me.
Seve's deliberate shot into the car park, knowing he could take a free drop from there. Sounded like cheating but he didn't make the rules!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I haven't been watching golf for decades or anything, but Spieth's win was memorable - when he carved that drive so far right, but got a drop from the TV truck and a smashed a worldy back in play. Such drama.

I do remember the famous Van de Velde cock-up, as I was pretty young but my parents used to watch the Opens back then so I saw it. I guess I was 12 or 13, hadn't started playing golf yet, so a bit mad to see a bloke on TV paddling about with his shoes and socks off when he was supposed to be winning a competitive sports event. Also not many majors are won with a score of 6 over par nowadays. o_O I think many would prefer that than people carving up the course like Smith did last year.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Gene Sarazen won The Open in 1932 where he premiered the new-fangled Sand Iron.
This used to be displayed at Prince's, but became too valuable for insurers to cover it in such an insecure manner of keeping.

In 1973 Open at Troon, he had a hole-in-one at The Postage Stamp. He was 71 years old. I remember it well.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Great moment that, and how refreshing to see a swing that was not manufactured.
I used to enjoy watching Lee Trevino with his own 'home-made' method of swinging the club down the target line.