Golf's biggest chokers

Topper_Harley

Medal Winner
Visit site
Some thoughts on this:

Scott Hoch (who missed a two footer to beat Faldo in the 1989 Masters)

Doug Sanders (missed a similar putt to beat Nicklaus in the 1970 Open)

Greg Norman (multiple chokes - in 1986 he led every Major after round three but only won one, and who can forget his collapse in the 1996 Masters?)

Jean Van De Velde (the Open at Carnoustie in 1999)

Who else can we add to this not-so-distinguished list? Dare we add our very own Monty?

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Monty - massive choker
John Cook
Bjorn - 'once, twice, three times' a splash shot choker
My mate Mark - every time he has a good round going he fills his pants

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Craig Stadler - missed two footer in Ryder Cup
Luke Donald - Every time he gets in contention
Mark Calcavecchia - Huge choke to let in Monty at Kiawah Island
Mickelson at this year's US Open

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
let's add Bernhard.. atrue great but he still missed that tidlier at Kiawah

After my display in the winter foursomes this w e - afraid you can add TrueBlue to that list....argh! 3-up after six, poised to go 4-up after 7 - cue some fats, some thins and some fricking shanks...lost on 16.....darkness still not lifted

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That was a tricky six footer - certainly not what I would call a tiddler!

Bernhard actually did very well even to have a chance for a half on the last considering that he was 2 down with 4 to play but won the 15th and 17th to keep his hopes alive.

Just to show that it hadn't affected him mentally too much, he won the German Masters a week later.

Anyway, surely you can't label someone a choker because of *one* missed putt??

chirs

Visit site
im with muttleee, d'u know anyone hu has recovered from multiple cases of the yips to still be such a great!?
and it was hale irwin who tried his very hardest to give it away that day!

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Let's not forget that Hale Irwin's viciously hooked drive received the helping 'hand of God' from some Maradonna-like character in the crowd just to even be in play off the tee - and that Langer gave him what looked to me to be a decidely generous gimme given the circumstances. Oh well, it's all in the past now.
As for chokers, how about the slightly random Harrison Frazar? Having spent a couple of years backing him on the PGA Tour, I know from harsh reality that there's a man who would struggle to finish off a tournament if he had a 15 shot lead and the rest of the field were suddenly taken violently ill on the back nine - but I'm not bitter!