Shame on you GM!!

T

thecraw

While filling out your golf's greatest questionaire I got to question two and was at first baffled then disgusted about the omission of Sandy Lyle's historic and groundbreaking Masters victory of 1988!

The significance of this victory should not be undermined or belittled and played a huge part in "shaping" the future of European Golf. Not only was he the first Brit to win at Augusta he was the launchpad of further success and proved to the World and European golf what was achieveable.

Having the collapse of Van de Velde or even Faldo's 18 pars at Muirfiled ahead of this is incredible. Tom Watson's sentimental run at Turnberry or Doug Saunders missed tiddler shouldn't even come close to the 1988 Masters performance of Mr Lyle.

_44544761_lyle88_512x288.jpg

I'm actually quite angry at this omission Mr Harris.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Crawford my good man
I see you have got out of bed on t' wrong side this morning. Me too... then I got parking ticket on my car at 7.45 am because I hadn't read a parking suspension notice on our road properly then the dog did a crap in the dinning room (thankfully wooden floors) so I’m going to argue today!

The category you felt Lyle's Masters win should have been short listed in was 'memorable moment of the last 100 years'. My view is that category was for the actual 'there and then' moment rather than the significance of it when viewed retrospectively as I'm thinking you are doing. I also feel that given Seve had already won in 1980 (first European and a contemporary of Lyle's means it didn’t have the impact of say Jacklin's 1970 US Open win

We included the Van De Velde 1999 and Watson 09 (plus Sanders) to give the list a bit of variety and also because those are moments of despair (especially when played out on such a big stage) are part and parcel of what golf is all about

This is all of course subjective so appreciate you may feel differently. We did of course include Sandy's bunker shot in the greatest shots of all time

In hindsight maybe I should have done an 'other' tick box as we did on other questions so you could have inserted your own favourite

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site