Carnoustie

B

birdieman

I had the great pleasure of playing Carnoustie championship links today in the company of Atticus Finch and his pals Tam and Brian.
Unlike most of the UK it was pretty sunny and all we got in the way of rain lasted less than a minute on the 18th. Things didn't look so good when I passed the Glenshee ski centre on the journey down; it was snowing!

The course is absolutley fantastic, easily the hardest I've played, we played from the whites and if you're not driving the ball really well you will struggle. I would still say it is fair, it doesn't try to trick you.
Just about every flag is well guarded and the greens were super quick, not what an inlander like me is used to!

I punched above my weight on the front 9 getting to the 9th tee at +1 but I was found out round the turn and the putter went a little cold on the back 9 but I was happy with an 82 (39/43) on my first visit.

Highlights-
1. hitting the 18th green in 2 shots from the white tees into a slight headwind, something Padraig and Jean Van de Velde couldn't do! ;)
2. Birdieing the famous Hogans Alley (hole number 6).

ps Atticus Finch hits a very very long ball! I got mine at 6 out to about 300 with a nice tailwind and a bit of roll, AF knocked his about 50 yards further!

My sincere thanks to AF and his pals for the invite.

here are a few pics

AF at Hogans Alley
P1010901.jpg

Birdieman at 18th tee
P1010916.jpg

The difficult 17th crossing the Barrie Burn
P1010914.jpg

B

birdieman

It wasn't still, there was enough wind to factor it into shots but not to make it impossible.

On my very infrequent trips to the coast I always hope there is some wind and everything is running hard and fast as for me that's what true links golf is.

Yesterday for me was just about perfect weather wise.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Have played Carnoustie a few times (was always the highlight of our annual trips to Scotland) and I have to say it is the finest course I have ever played.
We used to play 18 around the Burnside (a superb course in it's own right) in the morning, nip into town for a pie (the hotel wasn't there when we used to visit) and then take on the Championship course in the afternoon.
We always used to visit in late May, and one year we went we played the Burnside course in short sleeved shirts, it was a gorgeous start to the day. In the afternoon, the weather turned while we were out on the Championship, and I have to be honest...it was the worst weather I have ever played golf in. Howling winds, driving rain. The course was almost unplayable, certainly the back 9 was sheer hell. How you could experience such a variance in one day is beyond me. I think the highest number of points scored on the back 9 by anybody that day was 7 or 8!!
But it still doesn't stop me looking back at Carnoustie with great affection and your photo's bring some memories flooding back.
Thanks

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looks like a perfect day for it guys....and nice photos.

I've had the pleasure of playing with Atticus and Brian around the course too and was looking like breaking 80 last time......until the last 5 holes which just murdered me with doubles and trebles. Can't handle the pressure these days! You lucky, lucky boys.

Hope you enjoy Spey Valley, birdieman. I think you will.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Aye, cheers for that Birdieman, You couldn't show my career 5 iron into the 15th or anything like that could you?
You had to show me nearly bloody dislocating my shoulder and moving the ball 10 yards.
Thanks Homer. To be honest, I could hardly see the ball at address and I was quite pleased with the result believe it or not.

Up 0.1 today.

dangermouse

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It'd cost me about £40 a round in lost balls there. How the hell did you manage to find the thing in that cabbage patch in the first place?

Looks fantastic, not at all jealous, honest. AF - you are a lucky man playin there all the time.

carn9698

Visit site
Carnoustie is golf. I recommend the Craws Nest Tassie tournament 1st week in Sept every year. £180 for 5 rounds around the big 1 & Burnside. You will come back year on year to measure your golf.

Hcp 6.6

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bloomin marvellous birdie!

What a treat for you and pictures that make me sad not to be able to get out on these classic courses.

and to think......I watched all the Open coverage "that time" and for the life of me could never work out why the guys made such a hash of it!

18th in two.....cool...

Even on my best day, I'd be laying up.

grumpyjock

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Looks good and I hope you will return, always like playing the links and hope to be up again before the winter sets in.
Glad you had good weather because when it turn it turns with a vengence and when the sea harr comes in you have to listen for the foghorn to guide you home.
Played the old course in mid august and when the rain came down there was no visibility at all.
Haste ye back and el hae a pei an a pint we a hauf as weel.