the knock down shot

B

birdieman

Just back in from an hour at the field. Very windy today so thought I'd practice into a strong headwind in the belief that if I encounter this on the course I'll know what to do!
It's part of the new years resolution to practice what I'm bad at rather than what I can do ok.
Anyway thought I'd hit up you lot as there are a few links regulars amongst you, aren't there?
My understanding -
Extra club to reduce backspin, ball back in stance to de-loft club, shorter swing, weight to left side?
Tried all these but I was all over the place - low, high, left, right. Where am I going wrong? Was hitting a 6 iron.
What is the key to this shot?
I don't have to play in the wind too often but would like to get this shot down better. :D

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The key points are to not swing at full speed, and to keep the hands in front of the ball.
When I am playing a knockdown shot I only backswing and follow through to around 3/4 of my normal swing and put the ball further back in my stance.
Seems to work well for me.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
not sure if this shot is on there but search videojug and golf in the same search bar, guy called rikard strogert or somethin like that has a quite a few instructional videos that are top notch, may even have this shot on there too.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
This is something that I have worked on a lot this year.
I generally only play the ball slightly further back,take at least one more club,grip down,use my normal swing but once I feel my hands set on the backswing just turn through normally with commitment.
THe key being not to force it,remember that you have already shortened the club to approx same length as what you would normally use.
I feel this is an easy method which doesnt modify your normal swing much.
Have had my only 2 holes in one in the last year playing this shot.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't really play this shot. Now and again I might club up as much as two irons into the wind (not links wind though!) and deliberatelty choke down, put the ball back a bit and hit it a bit lower, sure. I like to think I'm not swinging it back as far, but I only really have a full and 3/4 swing. Anything in between is guess work.

I do however hit a lot of 9 irons instead of PW into greens with a gentle(r) swing.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
To my mind, a 6 iron is not the club for a knock-down shot. Far better to shorten up a 3 or 4 iron and hit a stiff wristed shortened backswing off the back foot. A 6 iron needs to go a long way back to really de-loft it.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Why are we talking about specific clubs?
Use whatever you need to get the job done surely.

golfcitydweller

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
u can use any club u like for the knock -down shot ...just don`t be fooled by playin the ball to far back!down the shaft and ball between centre and back,half swing keeppin hands forward ..and cover the ball ..practise and find out ur distances with each club .good luck

B

birdieman

It's a shot used when playing into a headwind or crosswind when you need to keep the ball trajectory low and restrict the ball's backspin to prevent it climbing into the wind. It's a penetrating boring flight. It normally stops immediately upon landing because it's into the wind. The shot you are describing is a 'bump and run'.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks birdie, I could have used it today. 5-i off the tee just kept climbing then went almost sideways. From the sound of this I will need to get at least a 4-i in the new set.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Birdieman, when I play this shot I hood the club thus making it 1 club stronger and place the ball opposite my right toe with my hands central of stance .. but the hard bit is telling yourself it aint going to break your wrists when you hit down on the ball.

Gasp

Head Pro
Visit site
I think it's pretty much been covered here, but for me....

1/ Ball back in your stance, just inside your right foot.

2/ Choke down slightly on the club and impart a nice controlled 3/4 swing. Never has the adage "let the club do the work" been more appropriate. Also the harder you hit it, the more spin you impart which is what we want to avoid on this shot.

3/ Hands ahead of the club head at impact. This "Hoods" the club to lower the loft. As Mad says dont be afraid to feel as though you're hitting down on the ball, it is called the punch shot.

4/ Truncated follow through keeps everything nice and controlled.

5/ Make sure you use enough club to get there. Doesn't matter what it is, but remember it's in to the wind, you've choked down on the club so it's shorter and you're only using a 3/4 swing.

Sorry if all I've done is repeat previous posts. But this is my check list.