The Golf Sixes Portugal

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I took my (non golfing) daughter along to centurion last year. The whole thing (venue and format) made it the perfect day out for us. Still haven't got her playing yet though...

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not too enamoured with it, seems all a bit too quick, only 6 holes for match play , also playing from a mat over a swimming pool with a disco blaring away right next to the tee :ROFLMAO:

Yes. Seems all far too gimmicky.

Personally think there is always room to mix up the format and try different things in terms of moving away from strokeplay, having a team event, shorter format, play-off holes, music, etc. But to try and incorporate all of these in to a single event... you are already losing the battle.

Would like to see them maybe build a purpose built matchplay stadium course over 6 or 9 holes... with stands / screens / double greens / floodlights... so they could have these events and make it a real spectator event that people could get a great view on the property.

I reckon if this was in the UK, it could become a good event, given how good the attendances are at the likes of the British Masters and the BMW PGA.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I covered the event at Centurion and it was a joke then. But hey it kept a few marketing people with something to do thinking up the idea.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yes. Seems all far too gimmicky.

Personally think there is always room to mix up the format and try different things in terms of moving away from strokeplay, having a team event, shorter format, play-off holes, music, etc. But to try and incorporate all of these in to a single event... you are already losing the battle.

Would like to see them maybe build a purpose built matchplay stadium course over 6 or 9 holes... with stands / screens / double greens / floodlights... so they could have these events and make it a real spectator event that people could get a great view on the property.

I reckon if this was in the UK, it could become a good event, given how good the attendances are at the likes of the British Masters and the BMW PGA.
It has been played in the UK at Centurion before and not sure whether a fixed date/venue would be better or not. I'm not sure we have anywhere in the UK with floodlights but if the ET wanted to go down that route places like the Dubai swing early in the year or Turkey would work (and bigger names). However I think the ET like this as a stand alone event to promote the game to more than the normal golf watching public.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
It has been played in the UK at Centurion before and not sure whether a fixed date/venue would be better or not. I'm not sure we have anywhere in the UK with floodlights but if the ET wanted to go down that route places like the Dubai swing early in the year or Turkey would work (and bigger names). However I think the ET like this as a stand alone event to promote the game to more than the normal golf watching public.

Yeh - but I'm thinking more of a purpose built place to get the crowd involved. Lets say you played a 6 hole loop twice, it would be a format that could be played over a couple of hours and the floodlights would mean it could stretch into the early evening for people coming in after work etc. Spectators could see a lot of golf and with a big double green, there would always be loads of action.

Completely different to watching a strokeplay at a 'normal' course where it can be very tricky to follow someone round and keep a sense of what is happening.

So from the specatator point of view, it would have to be GB&I or certainly not in Dubai or Turkey.

Play some kind of matchplay series around a venue where spectators can get a great view of what is happening.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I kind of like the format. I would not want to watch it every week, but for a once a year event I find it quite entertaining. The only thing that totally gets on my nerves is the music.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
The only thing that totally gets on my nerves is the music.
This seems to be a chronic disease in all walks of modern life. Why must EVERYTHING be accompanied with unnecessary razzamatazz? Is there some weird marketing dogma that you can bamboozle people into believing an event is exciting? Doesn't work on me - in fact has the opposite effect.