The Golf Sixes Portugal

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not too enamoured with it, seems all a bit too quick, only 6 holes for match play , also playing from a mat over a swimming pool with a disco blaring away right next to the tee :ROFLMAO:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I lasted about 10 mins before I switched over. The constant boom, boom, boom wasn't for me. Golf transcends generations but taste in music differs.

D

Deleted member 15344

Shocking , embarrassing dumbing down of the sport - winning a Comp on “nearest the pin” ?! Really poor all round.

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
My mates we discussing this on the course today with one of the guys confusing it with something called speed golf which was also recently on TV.

Both sounded awful to me.

D

Deleted member 15344

Any different from winning a footy match on penalties?
It's a "fun" way to decide a winner in a "fun" competition.
In a penalty you still put the ball in the net which is the aim of the game 🙄

Fun competition? It’s an ET event with a prize fund of 200k going to the winners - and it’s decided on nearest the pin ? It’s not fun it’s a joke

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
In a penalty you still put the ball in the net which is the aim of the game 🙄

Fun competition? It’s an ET event with a prize fund of 200k going to the winners - and it’s decided on nearest the pin ? It’s not fun it’s a joke
I think you need to lighten up a bit Phil.
Is this real golf?
It's the ET version of a Texas Scramble or Greensomes
It's not a proper Tour event - they have to have a prize fund to get some Pros to play it.
It's designed to try to get youngsters involved in the game.
You're just taking it too seriously

D

Deleted member 15344

I think you need to lighten up a bit Phil.
Is this real golf?
It's the ET version of a Texas Scramble or Greensomes
It's not a proper Tour event - they have to have a prize fund to get some Pros to play it.
It's designed to try to get youngsters involved in the game.
You're just taking it too seriously

Real golf ? Well it was until they decided a ET sanctioned event by a nearest the pin Comp - someone posted a thread about the Comp and i gave my opinion about it

Do you know any comps that decide the winner by nearest the pin ? In a club ? Society ? Tour

No issues with the greensomes , mixed etc but it’s not fun for someone when there is a sum of money that could change a players career. The idea of the sport is the get the ball in the hole - not who gets it closer to the pin.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This was a load of fun, targeting a different market. Fast and furious with a bit of novelty, the swimming pool hole.

As for the nearest the pin, great fun. I loved that as a change to extra holes. It was real sudden death, great to watch and something that gives a simple and instant result.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's as random a way of deciding a winner as countback.
The competitors all knew it was going to happen in the event of a tie
If they were that against it they wouldn't have signed up for it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I didn't like the coverage, and in particular the likes of Vernon Kay on the course and some of the commentary team but as a format its good to see the tour trying to do something different. Lets not forget its the third year of the event so it's not a new thing and don't they tee off over a swimming pool in something like the Turkish open as well? As for NTP why not? Adds a bit of drama and is something different in keeping with the event and everyone knows the format before they start. Also good to see some LET pros playing

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
it was fun to watch and the golf was pretty good ,golf is struggling at the moment and the ET are doing as much as they can to make it more to the liking of younger people to get them interested in our sport,so sixes for me is good for golf, how mant of you lot that post on here only took the game up after you couldnt do any energetic sport like football or rugby. if you did take it up as a youngster how many of the other younguns are still playing ,before you diss sixes ,what do you suggest the ET does to get people talking about and playing the game .
you only have to look at the old farts v the whippersnappers to see that the average age of todays golfer is nearer fifty than twenty.
we need these tournaments to move golf forward and get out of the dark ages that far too many clubs and their members seem to be living in .

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Shocking , embarrassing dumbing down of the sport - winning a Comp on “nearest the pin” ?! Really poor all round.

Personally I thought that was the highlight of the tournament.

As per OP I didn't enjoy/get into it at all and watched about 30 minutes over the weekend, the shootout had a wee bit of fun and excitement, real test of skill and nerve.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
All of us on the golf forum are already golf fans - probably excessively so, as we are on a golf forum! Golf Sixes isn't aimed at us.

It's about getting others interested in something that perhaps is more accessible to people who don't know about golf than a 4 day, 156 field, 72 hole tournament might be.

It's not really my cup of tea. But when it was at Centurion, I know people who took children and who loved it. I don't think it generates OWGR or Race to Dubai ranking points. I like that it promotes the women's game a bit. Why not try new formats, give things a go?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
All of us on the golf forum are already golf fans - probably excessively so, as we are on a golf forum! Golf Sixes isn't aimed at us.

It's about getting others interested in something that perhaps is more accessible to people who don't know about golf than a 4 day, 156 field, 72 hole tournament might be.

It's not really my cup of tea. But when it was at Centurion, I know people who took children and who loved it. I don't think it generates OWGR or Race to Dubai ranking points. I like that it promotes the women's game a bit. Why not try new formats, give things a go?
Definitely. I remember there being a lot of families at Centurion and a lot of stuff aimed at kids in the tented village part and I can't see any issues if there are no ranking points or Race to Dubai points at stake. Fits neatly into the calendar when a lot of the top players are preparing for the US Open and is a good advert for the ET as well as a way of getting people aware of the game

It was mentioned yesterday about giving it a go at our place, playing 10-14 and the 18th

Wolf

Visit site

Absolutely spot on...

Short format as someone who already follows golf it can be hard to get into. Yet Mrs Wolf who shows an indifference to the game as in one minute she wants to try then the next finds watching it boring, she loved it as it wasn't overly long she could see how it was possible for women and men to compete against each other. I even came home from golf Saturday to find her and my youngest daughter fully engrossed in watching the German women playing against the guys.

These are the people its aimed at and allows the idea of getting into golf to be a little more fun for those that may have pre conceived ideas of it being a boring old man's game.

As for nearest pin, again its fun and at least its decided on the skill of using a club and not count back like our club comps. This tournament was purely aimed at the likes of those I mentioned and as a result there's at least 2 people in my household want to now give it a go,. Had they not seen this event they wouldn't be bothered.

Just sack off Vernon Kay and all is good.