spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thought I'd start a thread on Gins to recommend or avoid

My favourites ATM are

Roku

Ukiyo Tokyo dry gin

Bombay Citron Pressed

One to avoid us the Ophir black lemon. Was on offer last week in Sainsbury's, awful 🤮

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some of my favourites are Blackpowder Flintlock, Song Cai and a Whitley Neil gooseberry gin.

I found craft gin club good and was a member for a while but did have a big discount on it at the tine. Definitely worth joining in time to get their Christmas box.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Slake Gin - made by a local distillery in West Sussex
Whitley Neil Mango and Papaya
Gordon's Passionfruit

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Opinion on Silent Pool .. Not very far from our place.
The gin is not bad.. but sometimes I feel they seem to be better at Marketing than the gin itself

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The gin is not bad.. but sometimes I feel they seem to be better at Marketing than the gin itself

Feels like a lot of gins are good are marketing and the taste is pretty meh. A lot of the flavoured gins don't really taste like what they're supposed to be, more a change in colour.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Feels like a lot of gins are good are marketing and the taste is pretty meh. A lot of the flavoured gins don't really taste like what they're supposed to be, more a change in colour.
This is why I don’t like flavoured gin.

The botanicals are meant to be the gin’s flavour. Anything on top of that is just artificial tasting to me.

I don’t like my gin too floral but not bland either. Brooklyn is probably as strong as I go, botanically speaking.

Mandofred

Visit site
The wife likes Tanqueray. But in the last year has had several bottles as gifts of No.3 London Dry Gin....triangle shaped bottle with a key on the bottle. She says it is noticeably nicer.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We like gin but have to say there seems to be some that know far more than I.
Couple of questions
1. Can you tell the difference between gins? how,is a good hin determined as it is now our drink compared to Vodka?
2. How much should I be paying for a litre?
3. we like Tanquerary ( spelling). Where is that on the scale?

We have had Aldi gin. Sorry!

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Isn’t all Gin about marketing?

My wife runs a local Gin Festival so we have a lot of different bottles kicking about very few have been unpleasant.

Nibbs is one of the good ones she will buy, also localish to you if you are near the Silent Pool distillery.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We like gin but have to say there seems to be some that know far more than I.
Couple of questions
1. Can you tell the difference between gins? how,is a good hin determined as it is now our drink compared to Vodka?
2. How much should I be paying for a litre?
3. we like Tanquerary ( spelling). Where is that on the scale?

We have had Aldi gin. Sorry!
See post #9.
Most supermarkets have offers for example Sainsbury's have the Whitley Neil directors cut down £9 to £20 which is very nice

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
The wife likes Tanqueray. But in the last year has had several bottles as gifts of No.3 London Dry Gin....triangle shaped bottle with a key on the bottle. She says it is noticeably nicer.
No.3 is on my top three list. Its very nice, subtle flavour and very smooth.

If she likes Tanqueray then, if she hasn’t tried it, their No.10 is very much like London No.3 in its subtleness.