The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
Just brought a video up of the three - were they all Ashley Young?? Haha.

First one I'd say no pen. It's one of those ones that people have been complaining about recently, where Young is the one playing the ball and the opposition player just lunges to put his foot in the way and take the 'kick'. No pen.

Second one would be very harsh. He sort of turns around and the ball is immediately kicked at him, as he tries to bring his arm down as quick as he can. No pen again.

Third one looks a bit of a mess though. Very clumsy tackle - I'll say penalty for that one. One penalty out of the three.
Yes, I think the third one was the only incident that has any real credibility as being a bad decision. The others are just red herrings, where Forest hoped that they'd be given in their favour, and are now crying like babies because they didn't get the. There is no doubt that if they had happened at the other end of the pitch, and Everton were given penalties for those first 2 incidents, Forest would also be crying like babies, say they were never penalties and then continue with the victim mentality.

As for the 3rd one, yes most think it was a bad decision, and I wonder how the VAR viewed it? I don't blame the onfield referee too much, as it can be difficult to see sometimes whether the ball was won or not, so you have to make a guesstimate. But why did VAR not intervene to say the ball was not won?

But, I bet fans of most clubs have cursed bad decisions, where the general opinion is that the final decision was wrong. I remember a few weeks ago talking about DCL not getting a penalty that looked stonewall.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just brought a video up of the three - were they all Ashley Young?? Haha.

First one I'd say no pen. It's one of those ones that people have been complaining about recently, where Young is the one playing the ball and the opposition player just lunges to put his foot in the way and take the 'kick'. No pen.

Second one would be very harsh. He sort of turns around and the ball is immediately kicked at him, as he tries to bring his arm down as quick as he can. No pen again.

Third one looks a bit of a mess though. Very clumsy tackle - I'll say penalty for that one. One penalty out of the three.
Agree with all those having just seen the incidents for the first time too.

The handball rule is a complete mess nowadays - this whole "arm in an unnatural position" that gets trotted out....it would be unnatural to have it clamped to your side while running!

simsini

Visit site
That is YOUR opinion, which you are now using to provide some sort of evidence of a conspiracy.

My opinion is that Bruno was clean through on goal and would have had a shot. The defender level with him was 2 or 3 yards away and wasn't getting there before him. And Rashford was running at pace, it doesn't take a lot to wipe someone out at that pace. He clearly didn't initiate contact, as the Forest player threw in a leg. Unless Rashford is guilty for daring to try and run past the defender?
So in your view Rashford was a penalty. Have you watched Yates vs Everton? Williams vs West Ham? Awoniyi vs Newcastle?

simsini

Visit site

The handball rule is a complete mess nowadays - this whole "arm in an unnatural position" that gets trotted out....it would be unnatural to have it clamped to your side while running!
But this is where the obvious inconsistencies come in when Coventry got a penalty and Grealish wasn't given too. All 3 were penalties in my view and yet here we are with 1 out of 3 given, and the likes of Dermot Gallagher saying they would be given in Scotland as if they are playing a completely different sport up there.

One thing that should absolutely change is the audio should be heard by the tv audience and crowd in the stadium in real time when VAR decisions are made, and the crowd in the stadium should be shown the video replays in all instances. It happens in other sports and there should be maximum transparency.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

It would have been horribly unfair to give that one, he's running and turning, it would have been downright bizarre for him to try and do that with his arms by his side, as you say - and he appears to lower his arms as soon as is reasonable, but it's already been struck. Granted, his arm blocks the cross, but what could he realistically do to avoid that? Nothing. Perhaps we need a new punishment for incidents like this, where it's an indirect free kick in the box or something like that.

Swango1980

Visit site
So in your view Rashford was a penalty. Have you watched Yates vs Everton? Williams vs West Ham? Awoniyi vs Newcastle?
Why do I need to view multiple other incidents to determine whether the Rashford incident was a penalty or not?

Yes, my view was that Rashford was a penalty. And I probably would have had a different view if the Forest player didn't throw in his leg.

Maybe you should aim your frustration at the Forest defender who didn't do his job. Even if you think it was a dive, he was only in that position because the Forest player let him run past him.

Swango1980

Visit site
Just saw the highlights of Real Madrid v Barcelona. Didn't realise they didn't use goal line technology in La Liga, which resulted in controversy when the ball looked like it could have crossed the line, but VAR images were not conclusive, thus Barcelona were not awarded with a goal. Very surprised they don't use the goal line tech, I though every major league would have had it for years.

Of course, it had to be Bellingham who got the injury time winner.

simsini

Visit site
Why do I need to view multiple other incidents to determine whether the Rashford incident was a penalty or not?

Yes, my view was that Rashford was a penalty. And I probably would have had a different view if the Forest player didn't throw in his leg.

Maybe you should aim your frustration at the Forest defender who didn't do his job. Even if you think it was a dive, he was only in that position because the Forest player let him run past him.
Those other incidents were far more clear cut as penalties and Forest weren't given any of them. That's why.

Swango1980

Visit site
Those other incidents were far more clear cut as penalties and Forest weren't given any of them. That's why.
I don't remember them all. But yes, in my opinion there have been some shockers. Having just seen the Williams one for example, there was clear contact on his foot, so I don't understand why it wasn't given.

But there seem to have been shockers against many clubs.

Has anyone got access to advanced statistics to indicate which teams have suffered most bad calls? Not simplistic by just focusing on VAR reviews, but like an xG type stat that accounts all calls, made or not made, VAR or not? it would be interesting to see what that looks like

simsini

Visit site
I don't remember them all. But yes, in my opinion there have been some shockers. Having just seen the Williams one for example, there was clear contact on his foot, so I don't understand why it wasn't given.

But there seem to have been shockers against many clubs.

Has anyone got access to advanced statistics to indicate which teams have suffered most bad calls? Not simplistic by just focusing on VAR reviews, but like an xG type stat that accounts all calls, made or not made, VAR or not? it would be interesting to see what that looks like
But this is where the conspiracies come in, because when there are incidents where it is clear cut, such as the Williams foul and yesterday, questions must be asked.

Any stats like that would also have to account for when it happened. So for example if you're 5-0 up and don't get given a penalty, it has no real impact.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Last time I listened he was doing 2-3 days on the breakfast show. Should have been put out to pasture years ago. seriously outdated views and opinions.
I love AB, Laura Woods was a joke made me tune in again, Stelling not a lot better, Goldstein and Bent are morons, Hawksbee and Jacobs are my favourites after Brazil. This is the thing with presenters, we all have those we like and dislike, doesn't make either of us right or wrong I just try to avoid making definintive statemnts on forums that are really just views, bit like football fans really. Subjective solutions never work, VAR will fail.

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just saw the highlights of Real Madrid v Barcelona. Didn't realise they didn't use goal line technology in La Liga, which resulted in controversy when the ball looked like it could have crossed the line, but VAR images were not conclusive, thus Barcelona were not awarded with a goal. Very surprised they don't use the goal line tech, I though every major league would have had it for years.

Of course, it had to be Bellingham who got the injury time winner.
Apparently they used to have goal line technology but it was removed from all the grounds in the league.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
But this is where the conspiracies come in, because when there are incidents where it is clear cut, such as the Williams foul and yesterday, questions must be asked.

Any stats like that would also have to account for when it happened. So for example if you're 5-0 up and don't get given a penalty, it has no real impact.
Again conspiracy rubbish, as an Everton fan I am fed up hearing conspiracy and corruption, it's absolute nonsense. It's just poor training, understanding and poor reffing. The fact all clubs can give plenty of examples when it goes wrong and plenty when it favours them really does rule out that conspiracy rubbish and corruption crap.

Some fans just need something to try and make them feel better and rubbish like that is one of them.

Wolves have had some shocking decisions go against them but as they ain't looking at relegation they seem to be ignored now. It seems it only matters if they are poor when you might get relegated or win the title or a Cup the the rest of the time lets not count them or be worried by them.

Forest and Everton, maybe they need to get their clubs, finances and results in order as well, I mean VAR can't help with everything can they.

Last edited:

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site

But there seem to have been shockers against many clubs

Probably a good reason for clubs to unite and try to change the narrative, I’d say?

It’s just Forest worded it all wrong, like they’d had one too many Madri’s 😂

Their follow up tweet today was much better