The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agree with most of that, however if he takes the plaudits for the wins he has to take the criticism for the defeats…I think he has done a good job for us as a club, however the football is horrendous.
(It is possible to have both btw?)

I think what Moyes has done though is change our expectation.
We are now going to be gutted not to make Europe…If he leaves in the summer he has at least moved the goalposts for WHU.

By that then he should really stay no? Considering he has got us pushing for Europe for 4 seasons? 3 seasons in it.. pushing this year. Prob won't get it but still will have given a good go and got to the later stages

Much better than the likes of bilic who got us but couldn't get past vauxhall astra

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
L
By that then he should really stay no? Considering he has got us pushing for Europe for 4 seasons? 3 seasons in it.. pushing this year. Prob won't get it but still will have given a good go and got to the later stages

Much better than the likes of bilic who got us but couldn't get past vauxhall astra

For me no, because the football is horrible. I go to be entertained and I am not.
I can understand “parking the bus” (or the low block as you kids now call it) against Leverkusen, City, Liverpool and the like, but using the same tactics against teams like Burnley, Sheffield and Spurs is soul destroying!

Swango1980

Visit site
The issue that the useless twit isn't even a striker!

We keep selling our best strikers

Haller and scamacca both playing well in other counties

One didn't settle one didn't smile enough for our fans to rate ..
Antonio is a weird one to me. I know he isn't a prolific striker, but is it a case that when you watch highlights of West Ham, Antonio can look like a real handful to play against. But, when you watch him every game, he simply does more harm than good?

Even the pundits were drooling over him a few games ago, I'd at least expect them to do a bit more research on players they are talking about, it is their job (can't remember which pundits, but is was some of the poorer ones, maybe Redknapp or someone).

At the least, is he a bit of a battering ram that concerns defenders, and opens up more space for the likes of Bowen?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Moyes struggles with strikers in his football setup, no coincidence that the most successful “strikers” he has had is Antonio and Arnautovic, both converted wingers.

Don't forget Bowen, however then do we not give Moyes credit for getting the best out of the 3 of them?

Considering Antonio was average before Moyes

As was Arnie, most successful spell of his career was with us.. stoke 122 games 22 goals, Moyes turned him to 59 games 21 goals ...

Same with Antonio

And he working wonders with Bowen
Antonio is a weird one to me. I know he isn't a prolific striker, but is it a case that when you watch highlights of West Ham, Antonio can look like a real handful to play against. But, when you watch him every game, he simply does more harm than good?

Even the pundits were drooling over him a few games ago, I'd at least expect them to do a bit more research on players they are talking about, it is their job (can't remember which pundits, but is was some of the poorer ones, maybe Redknapp or someone).

At the least, is he a bit of a battering ram that concerns defenders, and opens up more space for the likes of Bowen?

He doesn't get into our best team when everyone is fit though is prob the main issue with him

He is great in Europa because oppo players aren't used to simple football he plays

If we got a striker say Toney or Solanke in the summer. With noone departing we would line up

Alvarez JWP

Bowen paquata kudus

New striker

And without a new striker Bowen goes up top. Paquata off the left JWP in the 10 and soucek in

He is an option now but god I can't wait for us to replace him

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
So...Spurs currently 5th with 60 points, Newcastle and Man U 6th and 7th 10 points adrift.

Spurs next three fixtures...Arsenal (H), Chelsea (A), Liverpool (A)
Newcastle next three... Palace (A), Sheff U (H), Burnley (A)
Man U next three... Sheff U (H), Burnley (H), Palace (A)

Is 5th place still up for grabs?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So...Spurs currently 5th with 60 points, Newcastle and Man U 6th and 7th 10 points adrift.

I'd be very surprised but then would be spursy so who knows

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

I see it as a battle between Spurs and Newcastle.
Man Utd are just not good enough.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
It's probably geography at play here

But I know plenty of awful Liverpool fans (the good ones must live in Liverpool)

I know plenty of awful arsenal fans

But directly I know 3 city fans

And all of them are top guys

Come on city
Them three, could it be me, Amanda and Curly Watts. 😁

Just read it’s not me and Amanda. ☹️ gutted.

Swango1980

Visit site

I doubt it, simply as I struggle to see Man Utd winning enough games to make up the 10 points. Form guide for Man Utd: WDLDD

Also can't see Spurs lose all 3 of those games, let alone the fixtures after that. Although who knows, maybe the media were too hasty in worshipping their manager. he doesn't look quite so charismatic and confident after a few bad results, and the scars begin to take hold.

Swango1980

Visit site
The top 3 is sorted, all of whom are fighting for 1st. Although I think City will win comfortably in the end.

Villa and Spurs are guaranteed 4th and 5th, I think Villa will get 4th easily in the end.

6th-9th will be Newcastle, Man Utd, Chelsea and West Ham, in any order.

10th-13th will be Brighton, Wolves, Fulham and Bournemouth, in any order.

Palace and Brentford will occupy 14th and 15th, in any order. Don't think they'll get dragged into relegation

Everton, Forest and Luton all fighting to avoid 18th.

Burnley and Sheffield Utd will be 19th and 20th

The above assumes no further financial penalties

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
The top 3 is sorted, all of whom are fighting for 1st. Although I think City will win comfortably in the end.

Villa and Spurs are guaranteed 4th and 5th, I think Villa will get 4th easily in the end.

6th-9th will be Newcastle, Man Utd, Chelsea and West Ham, in any order.

10th-13th will be Brighton, Wolves, Fulham and Bournemouth, in any order.

Palace and Brentford will occupy 14th and 15th, in any order. Don't think they'll get dragged into relegation

Everton, Forest and Luton all fighting to avoid 18th.

Burnley and Sheffield Utd will be 19th and 20th

The above assumes no further financial penalties

I'm liking the faith in Villa but we still have Liverpool and Chelsea to play (both at our place though)

Bournemouth, Palace and Brighton too

Plus - we have European football still to worry about - Lille on Thursday night and if we go through there 2 more semi final legs too.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well what a weekend. Liverpool were very, well un-Liverpool on Sunday especially the 1st half and we played some great stuff. The goal was great and JPM should have scored a hat trick really, but its just great to have the flare players back fit and on the pitch and being used by a manager in the right way. Watching Eze and Olise track back and sitting in a low block every week was getting tiresome under Roy.

Still think there will be a twist in the race at the top, but City do have form for getting better as the league goes on so will be tough for Arsenal and Liverpool.

We need another win to be more than safe and then after that just waiting for Brighton's manager to leave and them self combust and all will be well again in the football world.

Whose going down with Shef Utd and Burnley? Of the teams down there I think Everton are the weakest team of the lot based on watching them. Luton are not great, but they have a fantastic work ethic. We battered them for 90 minutes and then they scored with the last kick of the game and they seem to do that a lot. Forest should be ok as they have the better players, but that does not always work at the bottom. Going to the wire me thinks

PaulMdj

Visit site
Well what a weekend. Liverpool were very, well un-Liverpool on Sunday especially the 1st half and we played some great stuff. The goal was great and JPM should have scored a hat trick really, but its just great to have the flare players back fit and on the pitch and being used by a manager in the right way. Watching Eze and Olise track back and sitting in a low block every week was getting tiresome under Roy.

Still think there will be a twist in the race at the top, but City do have form for getting better as the league goes on so will be tough for Arsenal and Liverpool.

We need another win to be more than safe and then after that just waiting for Brighton's manager to leave and them self combust and all will be well again in the football world.

Whose going down with Shef Utd and Burnley? Of the teams down there I think Everton are the weakest team of the lot based on watching them. Luton are not great, but they have a fantastic work ethic. We battered them for 90 minutes and then they scored with the last kick of the game and they seem to do that a lot. Forest should be ok as they have the better players, but that does not always work at the bottom. Going to the wire me thinks
Can I ask, genuinely, why you think we are the weakest? Without the points deduction we’d be on 35pts above Brentford and yourselves, 10pts clear of Luton.

If anything it says the points deduction is the difference not the team.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can I ask, genuinely, why you think we are the weakest? Without the points deduction we’d be on 35pts above Brentford and yourselves, 10pts clear of Luton.

If anything it says the points deduction is the difference not the team.
I think Everton have done very well to overcome the points deduction.
It’s more a mental thing now that’s dragging you down

But you ( like other teams ) need a goalscorer.!
But they are rare these days.

PaulMdj

Visit site
I think Everton have done very well to overcome the points deduction.
It’s more a mental thing now that’s dragging you down

But you ( like other teams ) need a goalscorer.!
But they are rare these days.
No doubt we’ve struggled, team is not very good, lack of goals, etc etc, taking all that in to account, points wise (without deduction) there are 6 teams who have less points than us so far this season, what does it say about them?

Hence why I questioned why he thinks we are the weakest?