The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't say stoke hull or west brom were ever established like Everton, villa, west ham or newcastle

It's like Bolton, came up for a while then left

The real team that disappeared not to return for ages was Leeds. They were a massive team

Charlton aswell

But the stokes? Not as big as Everton
I get what you're saying - my Newcastle fan mate loved their season in the Championship, a year out of the drama of the Prem, winning most weeks. But there's obviously no guarantees. I'd have Sheffield Weds and Sunderland as pretty big clubs that haven't made it back in a long time now. As you said, Leeds were in the wilderness for a couple of decades. The Championship is one of the toughest leagues out there, I find the quality is so similar across the bulk of the teams in it, it's hard to predict, and as I say, no guarantees that the 'big' team will go back up. I don't think any fan would really want to risk relegation and take their chances.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I get what you're saying - my Newcastle fan mate loved their season in the Championship, a year out of the drama of the Prem, winning most weeks. But there's obviously no guarantees. I'd have Sheffield Weds and Sunderland as pretty big clubs that haven't made it back in a long time now. As you said, Leeds were in the wilderness for a couple of decades. The Championship is one of the toughest leagues out there, I find the quality is so similar across the bulk of the teams in it, it's hard to predict, and as I say, no guarantees that the 'big' team will go back up. I don't think any fan would really want to risk relegation and take their chances.

Hobbit was right when he said the championship can be far more exciting than the premier league

If in the premier league you are not going for the European places year after year it's very boring. Relegation battles suck!!

For me the past 3 years being in Europa has been brilliant. Obviously spurs aren't this year but pushing for top 4 is exciting

Where we the championship.. the playoffs make it so exciting.. any of the current top 10 could realistically make it up

Plus as a football fan what seems to matter most is. Attacking football (check) challenging for the title (check) youth players getting a chance (check)

Without the championship I reckon noble would never have broken through , Anton Ferdinand, Elliot ward .. James tomkins all benefited from playing at that level

It's great tbh

I mean a lot more teams can win the championship, only a handful can realistically win the premiership

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hobbit was right when he said the championship can be far more exciting than the premier league

If in the premier league you are not going for the European places year after year it's very boring. Relegation battles suck!!

For me the past 3 years being in Europa has been brilliant. Obviously spurs aren't this year but pushing for top 4 is exciting

Where we the championship.. the playoffs make it so exciting.. any of the current top 10 could realistically make it up

Plus as a football fan what seems to matter most is. Attacking football (check) challenging for the title (check) youth players getting a chance (check)

Without the championship I reckon noble would never have broken through , Anton Ferdinand, Elliot ward .. James tomkins all benefited from playing at that level

It's great tbh

I mean a lot more teams can win the championship, only a handful can realistically win the premiership
You're missing the point though - what if Everton go down and there is no title challenge? They're just languishing in midtable in the Championship, or worse? Nobody is choosing that.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You're missing the point though - what if Everton go down and there is no title challenge? They're just languishing in midtable in the Championship, or worse? Nobody is choosing that.

What's the difference between mid table champ and premier? Just money for the board really

Although they wouldn't get the derby

Because of the payments when you go down there are more cases of returning than not over the past decade

It wouldn't be the end of the world if they dropped, but anyways I doubt it's happening

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What's the difference between mid table champ and premier? Just money for the board really

Although they wouldn't get the derby

Because of the payments when you go down there are more cases of returning than not over the past decade

It wouldn't be the end of the world if they dropped, but anyways I doubt it's happening
Err it's a tier lower? Surely you're not trying to tell me it's just as good playing against Preston and Bristol City every week as it is against Chelsea, Newcastle, Spurs etc?? 😂 Fans want to see their clubs playing at the highest level they can.

PaulMdj

Visit site

It's great tbh

You’ve had 3 seasons in the Championship in 20 years, only getting promoted through the play offs.

The players you listed had 1 season in the Championship (at different times) and were in your squad when relegated.

Your last 3-4 seasons have been superb, but I genuinely think the recent form is covering up some miserable years.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Err it's a tier lower? Surely you're not trying to tell me it's just as good playing against Preston and Bristol City every week as it is against Chelsea, Newcastle, Spurs etc?? 😂 Fans want to see their clubs playing at the highest level they can.

Playing spurs is just another average team no? 🤔🤣

You’ve had 3 seasons in the Championship in 20 years, only getting promoted through the play offs.

The players you listed had 1 season in the Championship (at different times) and were in your squad when relegated.

Your last 3-4 seasons have been superb, but I genuinely think the recent form is covering up some miserable years.

Ward Ferdinand noble all broke through in the championship

There paths would have been blocked at their age at the time. It helped them develop for sure

Tomkins was the only one who was getting games in the league before we went down but going down he became unquestionably the first choice CB

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve not looked at this thread today, so may have missed it if it’s been posted here, but I read elsewhere earlier that the back four which started for United against Liverpool yesterday was their TWENTY SEVENTH different back four this season. Leaving aside all United’s other problems, and there are many, that is a staggering statistic.

UTD remind me of the earlyish (Pre VVD) Klopp era at Liverpool. Similar league position , look like we can score a lot but also concede just as many.

Let just hope for a more consistent back 4 next season. We had one of the best defences in the league last season but injuries this year have cost us a lot.

I’m not saying we’re close to challenging yet, but replacing varane, getting shaw and Martinez back with proper cover will certainly help.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
UTD remind me of the earlyish (Pre VVD) Klopp era at Liverpool. Similar league position , look like we can score a lot but also concede just as many.

Let just hope for a more consistent back 4 next season. We had one of the best defences in the league last season but injuries this year have cost us a lot.

I’m not saying we’re close to challenging yet, but replacing varane, getting shaw and Martinez back with proper cover will certainly help.

I think United need a CB, a CM, a RB and someone across the front line who will bag 20+ in any position.

Also still not sold on your keeper but he's got better throughout the season

Swango1980

Visit site

There is no doubt Utd are a strange side, very strange. You can see how they are so vulnerable when they concede possession, and concede many shots. Yet, in the league we've only conceded 1 more than Spurs, less than Villa, and below us in the table, only Everton have conceded less. So, obviously conceded more than we'd like, yet we haven't conceded many more than those around us. Our best player this year may well be a defender, Dalot. And, despite the constant changes to defence, the likes of Maguire, Varane and Evans have so far come out of this season with a lot of credit. Even Onana has been solid in the league, it was just the Champions League he had a nightmare.

One of the more damning statistics is the number of goals scored, only 45. That is at least 20 less than anyone above us, and a similar number to those languishing mid table or even lower table. Only Burnley, Sheffield Utd, Everton and Palace have scored a reasonable number less than that.

There is just such a huge disconnect between our attack and defence. On one hand, the attack give the ball away so carelessly and are incapable of winning 50/50's, and so it it difficult to sustain any pressure on the opponents goal, whilst also exposing our defence to quick counters. On the other hand, our defence changes every week, and doesn't really have the type of players to confidently play a high line, and help the attack put pressure on the opponents when out of possession.

But, the above is why I personally want Ten Hag to be given more time. He has brought certain players in, like Hojlund and Martinez and given youngsters like Garnacho and Mainoo opportunities, who I think will play how he wants. And people love to mock Antony, and I can't argue that he is worth nanywhere near the pricetag we paid. But, last season in a team that over-achieved he played a lot. He never hid in a game, always occupied defenders and worked hard, so I'd always credit him for that. He has had a bad start to this season, but recently shown that desire. Whether he ever becomes a first team player is debatable, but if he works like he has shown, I'll always be happy to have him within the squad. Ten Hag will have a good idea of the big problems Utd are having trying to play his system, and so I'd still like him to continue looking how to rebuild the team, working with new people above him. Given what he started with, I think at least 3 transfer windows (summer ones) seems a reasonable time before properly judging him.

But, the media and opposition fans love to get the knives out as soon as they can. I've no doubt that if Liverpool's new manager loses his first game next season, there will be people calling for him to get sacked. To be fair, I heard some Liverpool fans last year calling for Klopp to get sacked due to their performances :)

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
There is no doubt Utd are a strange side, very strange. You can see how they are so vulnerable when they concede possession, and concede many shots. Yet, in the league we've only conceded 1 more than Spurs, less than Villa, and below us in the table, only Everton have conceded less. So, obviously conceded more than we'd like, yet we haven't conceded many more than those around us. Our best player this year may well be a defender, Dalot. And, despite the constant changes to defence, the likes of Maguire, Varane and Evans have so far come out of this season with a lot of credit. Even Onana has been solid in the league, it was just the Champions League he had a nightmare.

One of the more damning statistics is the number of goals scored, only 45. That is at least 20 less than anyone above us, and a similar number to those languishing mid table or even lower table. Only Burnley, Sheffield Utd, Everton and Palace have scored a reasonable number less than that.

There is just such a huge disconnect between our attack and defence. On one hand, the attack give the ball away so carelessly and are incapable of winning 50/50's, and so it it difficult to sustain any pressure on the opponents goal, whilst also exposing our defence to quick counters. On the other hand, our defence changes every week, and doesn't really have the type of players to confidently play a high line, and help the attack put pressure on the opponents when out of possession.

But, the above is why I personally want Ten Hag to be given more time. He has brought certain players in, like Hojlund and Martinez and given youngsters like Garnacho and Mainoo opportunities, who I think will play how he wants. And people love to mock Antony, and I can't argue that he is worth nanywhere near the pricetag we paid. But, last season in a team that over-achieved he played a lot. He never hid in a game, always occupied defenders and worked hard, so I'd always credit him for that. He has had a bad start to this season, but recently shown that desire. Whether he ever becomes a first team player is debatable, but if he works like he has shown, I'll always be happy to have him within the squad. Ten Hag will have a good idea of the big problems Utd are having trying to play his system, and so I'd still like him to continue looking how to rebuild the team, working with new people above him. Given what he started with, I think at least 3 transfer windows (summer ones) seems a reasonable time before properly judging him.

But, the media and opposition fans love to get the knives out as soon as they can. I've no doubt that if Liverpool's new manager loses his first game next season, there will be people calling for him to get sacked. To be fair, I heard some Liverpool fans last year calling for Klopp to get sacked due to their performances :)

Sort the structure at the top then worry about ten hag! He's doing alright

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sort the structure at the top then worry about ten hag! He's doing alright

Moyes is moaned at for boring defensive football, but west ham have scored more goals than man united this season

Yet they are defo not known for their defensive football

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
You are confusing Defensive with Negative… Moyes is moaned at for Boring Negative football… our defence is hopeless. Only the bottom 3 plus Brentford have conceded more goals than us, and we have conceded most penalties out of the whole league.. 25% more than the next worst offender Everton.
Our Defence relies on outstanding goalkeeping!
Moyes is moaned at for boring defensive football, but west ham have scored more goals than man united this season

Swango1980

Visit site

Are you using that as a positive comment????

Newcastle, Chelsea, Brighton, Fulham have also scored more. Bournemouth, Luton and Brentford have scored the same as Man Utd.

Had you said West Ham had scored more than the likes of Spurs or Villa, I think the point would have held more weight :)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are you using that as a positive comment????

Newcastle, Chelsea, Brighton, Fulham have also scored more. Bournemouth, Luton and Brentford have scored the same as Man Utd.

Had you said West Ham had scored more than the likes of Spurs or Villa, I think the point would have held more weight :)

Eh? Was more highlighting how bad man united have been under ETH when a team that's known as negative boring football (corrected for @Fade and Die ) have scored more than them

Swango1980

Visit site
Eh? Was more highlighting how bad man united have been under ETH when a team that's known as negative boring football (corrected for @Fade and Die ) have scored more than them
Ahh, I get the context now :)

Although I'm not sure it is worrying for Moyes that he is known for boring defensive football, and yet he has conceded 10 more goals than Man Utd, who apparently have the worst defence of all time :)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ahh, I get the context now :)

Although I'm not sure it is worrying for Moyes that he is known for boring defensive football, and yet he has conceded 10 more goals than Man Utd, who apparently have the worst defence of all time :)

It doesn't help when your best defender has the knees of ledly king

He's somehow managed to not get Injured all season so somehow we can't drop him when he's fit

Lot of fans moan about playing the low block but kehrer in his interview other day said we played it to hit teams on the counter and id say it works when we have beaten man united, arsenal, spurs , Chelsea , plus Brighton are normally our bogey team plus Brentford lol