The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
As I said before, Jurgen Klopp will be out of work. And, if he needs a rest from the day to day job of football management at club level, could he be tempted into international management?

I guess it is a long shot, but if you don't ask, you don't get.

Would Mourinho play the style of football all England fans seem to be crying out for?
I think the years sabbatical Pep had from football did Pep the world of good.
Could well do the same for Klopp would love Pep and Klopp to run international teams.

samthom99

Visit site
As I said before, Jurgen Klopp will be out of work. And, if he needs a rest from the day to day job of football management at club level, could he be tempted into international management?

I guess it is a long shot, but if you don't ask, you don't get.

Would Mourinho play the style of football all England fans seem to be crying out for?
After seeing his behaviour on the sideline and his scathing criticism of referees at Liverpool would you really be happy for the Fa to appoint him as manager?

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I saw a report this morning which said that one of Forest's assistant Coaches, Steven Reid, had been given a 2 game touchline ban and the team fined £75k; for confronting Paul Tierney after the Liverpool game earlier this month....Thought to myself "christ, bit harsh - Klopp shouts at them every week".....

then I saw the transcript of what he said from the report and thought "ok, fair enough 😅"...He's not wrong though, I hasten to add, and speaks for probably most football fans.

I can't share it here otherwise the Mods will be onto me, but there's plenty of posts on Twitter about it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I saw a report this morning which said that one of Forest's assistant Coaches, Steven Reid, had been given a 2 game touchline ban and the team fined £75k; for confronting Paul Tierney after the Liverpool game earlier this month....Thought to myself "christ, bit harsh - Klopp shouts at them every week".....

then I saw the transcript of what he said from the report and thought "ok, fair enough 😅"...He's not wrong though, I hasten to add, and speaks for probably most football fans.

I can't share it here otherwise the Mods will be onto me, but there's plenty of posts on Twitter about it.
Championship Manager legend! Why did he add that he worked with 'you lot' last season? What was he doing?

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Championship Manager legend! Why did he add that he worked with 'you lot' last season? What was he doing?
He left us after the promotion season to pursue becoming a counsellor and advocate for mental health in the game - so he visited teams on the regular and worked with the PGMOL in terms of managing that side of the game, I believe.

Re-appointing him this season was good as I think he brings a lot to the team in terms of the mental aspect (has helped Toff with his struggles when his gambling thing came out), as well as being a solid coach. He was a massive part of the promotion team coaching staff.

He still does the coaching/counselling stuff as well I believe on a consultancy basis - but more focussed on grassroots.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
He left us after the promotion season to pursue becoming a counsellor and advocate for mental health in the game - so he visited teams on the regular and worked with the PGMOL in terms of managing that side of the game, I believe.

Re-appointing him this season was good as I think he brings a lot to the team in terms of the mental aspect (has helped Toff with his struggles when his gambling thing came out), as well as being a solid coach. He was a massive part of the promotion team coaching staff.

He still does the coaching/counselling stuff as well I believe on a consultancy basis - but more focussed on grassroots.
I wonder what the mental health impact of calling someone a fornicating see you next Tuesday is? :LOL: Seriously though, that's a good idea to have someone with mental health qualifications on the coaching team. Hopefully more clubs have done that.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Could do with a bit more variety to his insults but otherwise seems totally spot on to me :)

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lovely this, but I do wonder whose idea it was to send the kids out in Shorts & T’Shirt while the players have tracksuit tops on!!

Indeed - baffling. But it's really refreshing to see how grounded some of this current England crop is.

They should be going to the very top, but not sure Southgate is the man to get them there (which I know has been furiously debated over the last week)

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It has been debated at great length that Southgate probably lacks the tactical nous to get the best out of the talent England currently have, but what frustrates me is that he can't seem to sort the defence out either, admittedly there isn't the same quality of player available in defence but England seem to give up so many 'soft' goals!

I don't doubt for one second that he has brought about a complete change in attitude and team spirit within all his squads, he is excellent when addressing the media, he just lacks that extra quality that the truly great managers have.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It has been debated at great length that Southgate probably lacks the tactical nous to get the best out of the talent England currently have, but what frustrates me is that he can't seem to sort the defence out either, admittedly there isn't the same quality of player available in defence but England seem to give up so many 'soft' goals!

I don't doubt for one second that he has brought about a complete change in attitude and team spirit within all his squads, he is excellent when addressing the media, he just lacks that extra quality that the truly great managers have.
He's always come across as too namby-pamby and not cutthroat enough. With the Henderson thing for example, I've come to the conclusion that the only reason he won't drop him is that he really likes him as a friend and hasn't got the heart to do so.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Some managers have the ability to improve a player regardless of how long they have them for, others rely on the coat-tails of those great managers and do their best to reduce those players.
Southgate is the latter.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know it's hindsight and the horse has long since bolted but I'm still going to shut the stable door by suggesting that maybe Southgate should have been the manager but then had a coach working under him that actually sorted out the team. Southgate could've done all the press duties and team spirit stuff but had someone more capable actually getting the team to play in a defined style.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I know it's hindsight and the horse has long since bolted but I'm still going to shut the stable door by suggesting that maybe Southgate should have been the manager but then had a coach working under him that actually sorted out the team. Southgate could've done all the press duties and team spirit stuff but had someone more capable actually getting the team to play in a defined style.

Fair point, but he does already have coaching staff working alongside him. I was surprised to hear recently that Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink is amongst them.