The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think you’re being a bit unfair regarding Mainoo, Bri. During the fifteen minutes he was on he was constantly looking for space and making himself available, and I don’t recall a single stray pass. Far from looking naive I thought he looked exceptionally comfortable.
Plus one thing I noticed.
He looks forward first to many play sideways and backwards far to much.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Well, not the best game to watch, big gulf in ability in some of our players imo,

Stones, Bellingham, Rice were another level than anybody else.

Gordon played well on his debut.

Maguire, Chilwell & Gallagher, not for me, simply not good enough.

Watkins, disappointed as he didn’t get the service and looked isolated.

Foden, confused me, looks so comfortable on the ball in any position for City, not a good night!

Substitutions:

Konsa did OK, Bowen & Rashford did nothing, others not bad for the limited time they had.

Watkins literally had nothing to work with. One small chance which got deflected onto him just before he was about to pull the trigger. No one read his runs. Was never going to be easy in this game but once the ball got into the final third England just fell apart.

Bellingham is absolutely phenomenal though isn’t he. It’s like zidane and Gerrard merged in one player.

Also very good showing from Konsa when he came on. Dealt with his flank very well!

PaulMdj

Visit site
Watkins literally had nothing to work with. One small chance which got deflected onto him just before he was about to pull the trigger. No one read his runs. Was never going to be easy in this game but once the ball got into the final third England just fell apart.

Bellingham is absolutely phenomenal though isn’t he. It’s like zidane and Gerrard merged in one player.

Also very good showing from Konsa when he came on. Dealt with his flank very well!
Really rate Watkins hence my disappointment he got very little from those around him, as with Villa you have to give him a service to feed off.

Maybe playing 2 up front will make the midfield push forward more.🤷‍♂️

4LEX

Visit site

Bellingham is the best player in the world IMO and if he remains fit we've got a great chance in Germany. Going to Real and bossing the team within weeks has taken him to another level.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bellingham is the best player in the world IMO and if he remains fit we've got a great chance in Germany. Going to Real and bossing the team within weeks has taken him to another level.

At first I was like what the heck then without Messi and Ronaldo who actually could be better than him?

Mbappe for me is a good player but compared to Messi etc I don't see that level

Bellingham could well be the best in the world

With rice one of the best midfielders aswell we have a chance at something special

4LEX

Visit site
At first I was like what the heck then without Messi and Ronaldo who actually could be better than him?

Mbappe for me is a good player but compared to Messi etc I don't see that level

Bellingham could well be the best in the world

With rice one of the best midfielders aswell we have a chance at something special

I agree it does sound a bit laughable at first but when you actually compare there's not many at that level.

I think Mbappe will go up a level at Real Madrid too, he's going through the motions at PSG and has been for a few years.

Salah maybe has a shout but to me he's looked off it this season despite getting a load of goals.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree it does sound a bit laughable at first but when you actually compare there's not many at that level.

I think Mbappe will go up a level at Real Madrid too, he's going through the motions at PSG and has been for a few years.

Salah maybe has a shout but to me he's looked off it this season despite getting a load of goals.

As good as he is , he is 32 this year so will be starting to tail off

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Strong rumours that City are looking to float on the stock market. Should that be the case, there accounts have to be made public. A few of the City pages I visit are asking if the club is planning on making its accounts public. How comes they have allegedly not been assisting with the premier league enquiry re finances. Like I say the 115 charges have a long way to go.

Plus I have read that City are guaranteed a minimum of £55 million for playing in next years Champions league before a ball is kicked 😳

PaulMdj

Visit site
The team I don’t mind, I don’t mind if he plays Long Eaton reserves. I want to start seeing some style of play. Coz all I see at the moment is players doing there own thing.
I see the opposite Tashy me man, we have lots of talented players being stifled under Southgate, even going back to the Euro Final we had the players to beat Italy and they didn’t step up!

Surely if it’s not working on the pitch they have the ability or experience to change it.

I’d be happy with Foden doing his own thing, he’s not half the player for England thst he is at City.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I see the opposite Tashy me man, we have lots of talented players being stifled under Southgate, even going back to the Euro Final we had the players to beat Italy and they didn’t step up!

Surely if it’s not working on the pitch they have the ability or experience to change it.

I’d be happy with Foden doing his own thing, he’s not half the player for England thst he is at City.

Spot on. There is a reason Foden is largely anonymous when playing for England and a world beater in a City shirt. Same goes for a number of other players, but perhaps to a lesser extent.

The reason is Southgate. Don’t get me wrong. He’s a great man manager. But as a coach he is bang average. I get he only has the players for limited periods, but he simply doesn’t know what to do with them.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Spot on. There is a reason Foden is largely anonymous when playing for England and a world beater in a City shirt. Same goes for a number of other players, but perhaps to a lesser extent.

The reason is Southgate. Don’t get me wrong. He’s a great man manager. But as a coach he is bang average. I get he only has the players for limited periods, but he simply doesn’t know what to do with them.

And spot on again. And I go back to what I posted several weeks ago. What is Southgate’s CV as a manager. Poor at Middlesbrough. England kids, at which he did well, and then the job he has now. The common thread = the same style that got the Boro relegated.

He has a plan A and a plan A, neither of which makes the best use of some brilliant players.

Tashyboy

Visit site

I think Foden is stiffled by Southgate. And he is a. Classic example of Southgate not getting the best out of him. When he made the substitutions he changed Fodens role, but that was towards the end of the game. It’s like asking a sub to come on with 10 mins left and to change a game. Like you say he is not the only one. Foden is struggling in Southgate’s role.

PaulMdj

Visit site
I think Foden is stiffled by Southgate. And he is a. Classic example of Southgate not getting the best out of him. When he made the substitutions he changed Fodens role, but that was towards the end of the game. It’s like asking a sub to come on with 10 mins left and to change a game. Like you say he is not the only one. Foden is struggling in Southgate’s role.
How is he stifled if he’s doing his own thing? You’re contradicting the post we all answered.😵‍💫

Tashyboy

Visit site
How is he stifled if he’s doing his own thing? You’re contradicting the post we all answered.😵‍💫
Yeah but am I. Foden is not the only one that’s not playing how he plays for City.
11 players not playing how they play for the clubs is hardly a ringing endorsement. He is then moved into the middle where he is more effective with 15 mins to go. Why?

PaulMdj

Visit site
Yeah but am I. Foden is not the only one that’s not playing how he plays for City.
11 players not playing how they play for the clubs is hardly a ringing endorsement. He is then moved into the middle where he is more effective with 15 mins to go. Why?
Foden is just one example Tash, we all agree none, bar a fleeting glance, seem to be playing to what they are capable off.

It seems they are not given any freedom to express themselves and are sticking to Southgate’s tactics!!

Yes, his tactics have been relatively succesful, but miss the next step or plan B, so the question is, Why aren’t these World Class Players (of which Foden is one) seeing when the tactics are rubbish and changing it on the pitch.

Many of them seem to play without fear for their Clubs, but lacking confidence for England.

Last edited by a moderator: