Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
City had;

74% of the possession
27 shots to 3
8 on target to 1
15 corners to 2

Thereā€™s 18 points difference between 2nd and 6th but a galaxy between them in class. That was a demolition. Good thing thereā€™s teams below Utd, that was relegation fodder.

D

Deleted member 15344

City had;

74% of the possession
27 shots to 3
8 on target to 1
15 corners to 2

Thereā€™s 18 points difference between 2nd and 6th but a galaxy between them in class. That was a demolition. Good thing thereā€™s teams below Utd, that was relegation fodder.

It was strange after when listening to Neville and Co talking about the performance being positive etc - it was clearly better than last year when they were mullered but they played looking not to get smashed which made the game a bit dull with City just passing them to death.

It was a derby with no real passion

Swango1980

Visit site
It was strange after when listening to Neville and Co talking about the performance being positive etc - it was clearly better than last year when they were mullered but they played looking not to get smashed which made the game a bit dull with City just passing them to death.

It was a derby with no real passion
It was positive until Foden turned up. Utd played the way I hoped, given the team they have. And City dominate possession against nearly everyone, even the best teams in the world, so that didn't bother me.

The xg stat is weird. At one point in 1st half, Utd were 0.22 or something. Fair enough, the Rashford goal is about 0.05. But, Rashford was clean through at one point, and duffed the header to knock it in his path and have a clean run. That was a great chance, but maybe xg only counts once you have a shot. Rashford also had a great volley chance from a few yards out, and hit an air shot.

I think Utd had great chances to break, but as game went on, they refused to take them. Short passes back. Which is ironic. In games where we get more possession, we too frequently look for Hollywood balls and gift possession away too often. When we play City who give more space behind defence, we refuse to play those balls and try and keep possession, which ultimately will be almost impossible to do versus City as they press so well.

I agree the game was dull, especially if you don't follow either side. But watching City is always dull, like watching Max Verstappen in F1. I agree with Simon Jordan, even though I hate Liverpool they at least play much more entertaining football than City. It's why I always hated watching Peps Barcelona, who were fantastic, and much preferred high octane Real Madrid at the time.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A question for the United supporters (and others if they want to chip in) - who out of the current squad do you think is good enough to keep (as a guaranteed starter) if you're wanting a team that will challenge for titles?

For me there's Onana (yes he's been poor but he was excellent the season before he joined United and I think that he will come good. De Gea was shocking at first but turned out OK), Martinez, Mainoo, Garnacho, Fernandes, Hojlund. The there's players like Dalot, Shaw, Varane and Mount that are probably worth their place in the squad and the youngsters like Malacia, Pellistri, Amad, Hannibal, Forson and Shoretire that you'd probably want to keep around to see if they'll make it. I haven't included Casemiro due to his age.

So by my reckoning United need two new full backs, a new centre back, a holding midfielder and another midfielder for their starting lineup for them to be competitive. That's quite damning when you look at the fact that they've spent over Ā£600 million in the last five seasons.

D

Deleted member 15344

Listen lad, I know you "support" (I use the word in it's loosest form) a tin pot team, but why don't you try and talk about them at least 1 in 10 posts?

Funny to watch. :)

Really strange for a West Ham to be so obsessed , but itā€™s the same with the Barnsley fan šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
A question for the United supporters (and others if they want to chip in) - who out of the current squad do you think is good enough to keep (as a guaranteed starter) if you're wanting a team that will challenge for titles?

For me there's Onana (yes he's been poor but he was excellent the season before he joined United and I think that he will come good. De Gea was shocking at first but turned out OK), Martinez, Mainoo, Garnacho, Fernandes, Hojlund. The there's players like Dalot, Shaw, Varane and Mount that are probably worth their place in the squad and the youngsters like Malacia, Pellistri, Amad, Hannibal, Forson and Shoretire that you'd probably want to keep around to see if they'll make it. I haven't included Casemiro due to his age.

So by my reckoning United need two new full backs, a new centre back, a holding midfielder and another midfielder for their starting lineup for them to be competitive. That's quite damning when you look at the fact that they've spent over Ā£600 million in the last five seasons.

Onana has played pretty well for a lot of the season, especially since AFCON. Iā€™d stick with him. Add to the list Martinez, Shaw, Varane, Dalot, Mainoo, Hojlund, Fernandes, and Garnacho. Bar possibly Varane in the event we signed another quality CB, the rest are all starters for me.

If Rashford could raise his game so that he contributes more than the odd piece of brilliance Iā€™d keep him. Otherwise he can go, along with a number of others.

I actually donā€™t think United are a million miles away from a decent starting XI, but we have simply been miles away from being able to do that because of the long term absentees in key positions.

But in terms of having strength in depth we are way short. And it is that which has been the problem. No strikers other than Hojlund and the ridiculously injury prone Martial. No left back other than Shaw and Malacia.

Weā€™re perhaps a couple of players away from a decent starting XI. Weā€™re half a dozen or more away from having a remotely competitive match day squad which can absorb injury absences.

Swango1980

Visit site

Something I've been thinking off, it will be interesting to see what happens. Who goes? Could be a few. But can't exactly go out and bring in many excellent players in one window.

I suspect 1 or 2 defenders will leave. Seems like Varane will be one. Regardless, we need at least one top CB, and possibly another young one with high potential if possible. Full backs, maybe not initially. Just hope the injuries aren't as severe in those positions next season.

Midfield is all over the place, will just depend who stays. Think Eriksen will go, no idea what Mount's prognosis will be. Definitely need at least one striker. Someone strong, who can hold a ball up and help keep possession. I'd almost play that striker with Hojlund, much better that playing paper weight players like Rashford all the time. At least if one striker gets injured, you can play with one in the current formation. Can also rest strikers a bit more if needed. I'd really like Toney, but I suspect he'll go to Arsenal anyway

Tashyboy

Please donā€™t ask to see my tatts šŸ‘
Visit site
The scary thing is Man City never really turned up bar Foden and Rodri. KDB played a bit like he was the kid at school who owned the ball and tried too hard to run the game by himself. It got very predictable at times and Foden really stepped up when it mattered.

ETH set the team up well in the first half and Onana had a decent half too. In the second both were found out again and it was so one sided it become embarrassing. I thought Onana was at fault for the second and went down in installments then showed his usual weak wrists.

If Ratcliffe is as serious as he sounds, he needs to get the new manager in place ASAP so he has the final few months to look at the squad and start to implement his style. A chaotic pre season flying all over the world isn't the best prep, especially with European players being late back after the Euros.
Thoughts on who you would have as manger please šŸ‘

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd keep Onana, Dalot, Varane, Martinez, Shaw, Mainoo, Bruno, Garnacho, Hojlund and Mount for sure.
For squad depth I'd also keep Maguire, AWB, McTominay and Amad.
I'd shift out Rashford, Casemiro, Amrabat, Lindelof and Van de Beek.
We've had so many players coming in and out this season that I've probably left out a few!

Tashyboy

Please donā€™t ask to see my tatts šŸ‘
Visit site
I agree the game was dull, especially if you don't follow either side. But watching City is always dull,
The reason watching City is Dull is because Utd parked the bus from the very first kick off. They just left the doors and windows open.
If City kick off next week Liverpool Will be all over them Like a rash in the first 10 minutes. To see a Utd team sat back like that is quite frankly shocking.
Boring City had 27 shots.
Utd had 3. And one of those shots was after the 15th minute.
So thats 75 minutes of normal play and 11 minutes of extra time from both halves. In 86 minutes of play Utd had 1 shot.
Now the term boring is not a factual word. It is a word that is open to interpretation from an individuals point of view. But I would suggest that Utd were a little bit more boring than City.

Swango1980

Visit site
The reason watching City is Dull is because Utd parked the bus from the very first kick off. They just left the doors and windows open.
If City kick off next week Liverpool Will be all over them Like a rash in the first 10 minutes. To see a Utd team sat back like that is quite frankly shocking.
Boring City had 27 shots.
Utd had 3. And one of those shots was after the 15th minute.
So thats 75 minutes of normal play and 11 minutes of extra time from both halves. In 86 minutes of play Utd had 1 shot.
Now the term boring is not a factual word. It is a word that is open to interpretation from an individuals point of view. But I would suggest that Utd were a little bit more boring than City.
You obviously didn't get the context I uses the word. I called them boring in the same way Max Verstappen is boring. Boring in the same way I thought Peps Barcelona were boring. Not boring like a Dyche's Burnley. I was also not implying Man Utd are exciting in comparison.

City are boring, to me, because it seems like they absolutely dominate every single game they play, and pass the game to death. Or at least the vast majority of games. If you support such a club, it must be fantastic, and relatively stress free. As a neutral, it is dull. Watching teams like Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool is simply more exciting.