The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1147

But we are not talking politics, weare talking about the BBC's reaction to a freelance presenter making political comments
as long as we steer clear of the political views concerned then its ok, but probably little to add to the story at this point in time
😉

Barking_Mad

Visit site
A lot of people are now in breach of their contracts, I suspect the BBC will take appropriate action against them.

They're adults capable of making their own decisions. With a proviso, below...

Lineker has said something publicly that he's not supposed to - essentially he's in the wrong, and should and could have made an immediate statement to avoid any further repercussions.

Not correct. Firstly its never been policy to ask non news employees to not make their political views known, and secondly Lineker is a freelance contractor and as I understand it, he's not bound by the same considerations as permenent employees.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 15344

Back to the football. Exactly what everyone could see happening after last week has happened.
Bournemouth the better team. Far more dangerous. Jurgen needs to sort it out. Again…

Started brightly but then just dropped off - VVD is having a horror show at both ends of the pitch

Get ourselves back into CL contention and then have a mare

Big 45 mins coming up here - need to turn this around quickly

Swango1980

Visit site
Why would it make any difference if you appear on a live football programme as opposed to a recorded entertainment show? It's not as if he said what he said on MOTD.
I'm was simply thinking out our what the difference is. Lineker is very much a BBC man to people, heavily associated with them. So, I he has an opinion it is impossible to detach that from the BBC. Whereas I doubt many think BBC as quickly if Sugar says something.

BBC just have just tried to deal with it privately, probably talked to him long before this incident. If he kept doing what he did, simply not renew his contract.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Started brightly but then just dropped off - VVD is having a horror show at both ends of the pitch

Get ourselves back into CL contention and then have a mare

Big 45 mins coming up here - need to turn this around quickly

Easiest way to beat Bournemouth is to let them score again at the start of the second half ;)

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Let me reiterate, please read and understand
Any posts that are in support of Lineker’s views or are against Lineker’s views are political and will be removed

Let’s move on back to the footy please

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
But we are not talking politics, weare talking about the BBC's reaction to a freelance presenter making political comments
as long as we steer clear of the political views concerned then its ok, but probably little to add to the story at this point in time

I’m confused, earlier in the week weren’t some posts deleted and infractions given out for just mentioning GL, but now a full blown discussion on the situation appears to be allowed.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
They're adults capable of making their own decisions. With a proviso, below...

Not correct. Firstly its never been policy to ask non news employees to not make their political views known, and secondly Lineker is a freelance contractor and as I understand it, he's not bound by the same considerations as permenent employees.

I don't know the terms of Linekers contract, I doubt many do. He's always been outspoken of course, but as the highest paid BBC employee - regardless of what it says in his contract, he should not be using his position to make his own personal political views, where others can't.

I don't necessarily blame him, he should have been asked to reign it in a long time ago. His comments overstepped the mark in my opinion, and he should have thought long and hard about what he was putting out there before he sent the tweet - although he claims he always does this, so it's an error of judgement on his part imo.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know the terms of Linekers contract, I doubt many do. He's always been outspoken of course, but as the highest paid BBC employee - regardless of what it says in his contract, he should not be using his position to make his own personal political views, where others can't.

I don't necessarily blame him, he should have been asked to reign it in a long time ago. His comments overstepped the mark in my opinion, and he should have thought long and hard about what he was putting out there before he sent the tweet - although he claims he always does this, so it's an error of judgement on his part imo.

He's not a BBC employee, hence the recent HMRC tax case against him...

D

Deleted member 1147

I don't necessarily blame him, he should have been asked to rein it in a long time ago. His comments overstepped the mark in my opinion, and he should have thought long and hard about what he was putting out there before he sent the tweet - although he claims he always does this, so it's an error of judgement on his part imo.
He isn’t a news reader/editor etc therefore he is allowed to do what he did.
The fact his contract isn’t up to task isn’t his fault.
He didn’t mention it on MOTD so didn’t abuse his position.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
What football coverage are the BBC doing today, TV and radio? Without access to Sky, BT, what does the mainstream fan access? Talksport, local radio for radio but TV wise...?