The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Posts that are political will result in the post being deleted and infractions,
Posts that criticise the mods for deleting those political posts will receive the same treatment.

GM do not want political posts on their forum, it’s that simple

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
View attachment 46890

Seems as though they are.

It's brilliant. I saw on breaking news I think that the PFA have had contact from a few players from various teams who are thinking of boycotting BBC post match interviews in support of Gary. The PFA supports them in their action.

Keeping entirely away from what he said you can see why this has caused immense outrage. Some guy was on sky news hitting out that the BBC allow lord sugar to say what he wants politically on twitter, it's head makes donations to a political party and set up a loan to a former pm, it even told Gary to make statements on human rights on air whilst in Qatar.. but they draw the line here .. about him commenting on human rights issues in the country he lives in (he added something the UN has condemned) on his own platform not on match of the day itself.

I think they have made it worse than it ever could have been by doubling down on the terrible decision to ban him to now go ahead with no hosts.

This would have blown over in a couple of days but now it's a much bigger issue

The BBC have made a massive error of judgement

Swango1980

Visit site
It's brilliant. I saw on breaking news I think that the PFA have had contact from a few players from various teams who are thinking of boycotting BBC post match interviews in support of Gary. The PFA supports them in their action.

Keeping entirely away from what he said you can see why this has caused immense outrage. Some guy was on sky news hitting out that the BBC allow lord sugar to say what he wants politically on twitter, it's head makes donations to a political party and set up a loan to a former pm, it even told Gary to make statements on human rights on air whilst in Qatar.. but they draw the line here .. about him commenting on human rights issues in the country he lives in (he added something the UN has condemned) on his own platform not on match of the day itself.

I think they have made it worse than it ever could have been by doubling down on the terrible decision to ban him to now go ahead with no hosts.

This would have blown over in a couple of days but now it's a much bigger issue

The BBC have made a massive error of judgement
I sort of agree, though a bit you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. There are contradictions, like Alan Sugar. I guess the difference he is someone who appears on pre recorded programs, Lineker a live pundit? After all, I think the BBC would struggle to deal with banning an actor in Eastenders or some sitcom if they shared similar opinions?

It is a nightmare. Trying to continue to appear neutral, but with so many reasons for people wanting to speak out these days, ain't easy.

I bet they'd have loved to leave it, but it already became a huge story before they got him to step down. Regardless of what he said, and whether you agree, he brought them into disrepute, against their social media policy.

One thing that strikes me is that Lineker, Shearer and Co seem like they are bigger than their own boots. If they want to have a career in politics, I am sure they can open doors elsewhere. If they want to speak about them, and sport, there are other broadcasters that have no such policy. But, they are paid an absolute fortune of our licence fee to speak about football. Just stick to your job.

If we were to speak about politics on GM we get warned and banned. We know the rules, and we stick to them. And we don't even get paid. Same for Lineker. What makes him so special that he can ignore the guidelines set to him?

I wonder how quickly it'll be resolved? Either all the MOTD staff will need to be educated on why the BBC attempts to remain neutral. Or, the BBC will just have to adjust their social media policy so that their staff, no matter how high profile, can be as political as they like.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I sort of agree, though a bit you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. There are contradictions, like Alan Sugar. I guess the difference he is someone who appears on pre recorded programs, Lineker a live pundit? .

Why would it make any difference if you appear on a live football programme as opposed to a recorded entertainment show? It's not as if he said what he said on MOTD.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I sort of agree, though a bit you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. There are contradictions, like Alan Sugar. I guess the difference he is someone who appears on pre recorded programs, Lineker a live pundit? After all, I think the BBC would struggle to deal with banning an actor in Eastenders or some sitcom if they shared similar opinions?

It is a nightmare. Trying to continue to appear neutral, but with so many reasons for people wanting to speak out these days, ain't easy.

I bet they'd have loved to leave it, but it already became a huge story before they got him to step down. Regardless of what he said, and whether you agree, he brought them into disrepute, against their social media policy.

One thing that strikes me is that Lineker, Shearer and Co seem like they are bigger than their own boots. If they want to have a career in politics, I am sure they can open doors elsewhere. If they want to speak about them, and sport, there are other broadcasters that have no such policy. But, they are paid an absolute fortune of our licence fee to speak about football. Just stick to your job.

If we were to speak about politics on GM we get warned and banned. We know the rules, and we stick to them. And we don't even get paid. Same for Lineker. What makes him so special that he can ignore the guidelines set to him?

I wonder how quickly it'll be resolved? Either all the MOTD staff will need to be educated on why the BBC attempts to remain neutral. Or, the BBC will just have to adjust their social media policy so that their staff, no matter how high profile, can be as political as they like.

It's not comparable in any way shape or form to us and GM. We use their product we are not paid by them, we follow the rules (or don't and risk sanctions) to use their product

Back to the actual situation according to reports (from Him in the main) his contract doesn't contain a social media policy. He is an independent contractor rather than a BBC employee

Being live or pre recorded means nothing, lord sugar could be sanctioned or have his show pulled .. the fact of the matter is the BBC are trying to enforce "impartiality" in this situation whilst turning a blind eye to others.

It's double standards.

RichA

Visit site

I've always loved Ian Wright, as a footballer and as a human. Neutral towards Lineker. Always disliked Shearer. I'm not sure why anyone would think they're "too big for their boots". I find it heartening that people in their situation actually have the backbone to stand up for something that they believe in.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seems a good shout, my only concern is that he’s not really proven long term. Then again was Potter before Chelsea, proven, who strangely now I think his stock is higher
Realistically, which top, top coach is coming to Spurs right now? If they do, can they do it without bottomless spending?

Frank has built a team that is punching well above its weight. I look forward to watching them on sky when they are live, they are not afraid of any other team. I think he would be a great fit, but with the classic comment of you need to give him time to mould the team. He would free up your players though, you'd be a better watch for starters.

What would the alternative be? Someone untried completely in this league?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I had a dream last night and I was watching MOTD hosted by Angus Deayton and Glenn Hoddle. It was far more entertaining than usual.
They both spouted a load of rubbish, of course.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I must admit I wasn’t aware of Sugar posting similarly political comments on his social media. What a right royal mess this is becoming.

It’ll be interesting to see how they untangle it.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
What I find to be very ironic is that G. Lineker has been a lifelong supporter of the current party in power and has voiced such support regularly throughout his lifetime.
This has never been detrimental to his TV career.

Last edited:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
What I find to be very ironic is that G. Lineker has been a lifelong supporter of the current party in power and has voiced such opinions regularly throughout his lifetime.
This has never been detrimental to his TV career.

I think by far and away the biggest issue here is not what Lineker has had to say, but the BBC’s apparently wishy washy policy and its application of that policy.

D

Deleted member 15344

I wonder if we can get back to the subject of the thread and football

D

Deleted member 15344

What does MOTD cover, Phil? Basket weaving?
None of the discussions have anything to do with football - it’s all about a presenter , the bbc and someone’s views about non football related matters - none of it has anything to do with football.

If people want to discuss the views of bbc and their presenters then another thread would be the best way to go.