The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Great game last night, with an atmosphere at Old Trafford to match. A number of observations to make, but top of the pile has to be Leeds’ time wasting tactics, which started within the first ten minutes. I know such matters have been widely discussed here in recent times, but they were allowed to get away with it by some of the weakest refereeing I have seen in years.

Football wise, the difference in their performance from the last few games under Marsch was massive. Strong defensively, snappy in the tackle, slick passing - everything United were not. We were laboured, wasteful in possession and slack in front of goal. Fred reverted to the Fred of old, with passes going astray all night, Dalot looked well off the pace, and Casemiro and Eriksen were huge absences - their importance to this United side was underlined for all to see.

Good to see Old Trafford genuinely rocking in the second half, but oh boy, that escape down the Chester Road after the game is as tedious as ever!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Great game last night, with an atmosphere at Old Trafford to match. A number of observations to make, but top of the pile has to be Leeds’ time wasting tactics, which started within the first ten minutes. I know such matters have been widely discussed here in recent times, but they were allowed to get away with it by some of the weakest refereeing I have seen in years.

Football wise, the difference in their performance from the last few games under Marsch was massive. Strong defensively, snappy in the tackle, slick passing - everything United were not. We were laboured, wasteful in possession and slack in front of goal. Fred reverted to the Fred of old, with passes going astray all night, Dalot looked well off the pace, and Casemiro and Eriksen were huge absences - their importance to this United side was underlined for all to see.

Good to see Old Trafford genuinely rocking in the second half, but oh boy, that escape down the Chester Road after the game is as tedious as ever!

Nice to see Sancho playing and scoring again too!

Really been a mystery since he moved back to England but he was so good in Germany!

Swango1980

Visit site

Pity it wasn't on TV, but at least it meant I could go and watch my team win their over 35's cup final (as I had to sit out with a bad knee).

Can't comment on the flow of the game, as I've only seen the goals, but interested to hear your account. My biggest worry was always going to be Fred. with Casemiro out. For the first goal, I watched Fred's movement, and seemed pretty horrific. He seemed to make an anticipating move upfield, and let the Leeds player just run past him towards goal and get the shot away. Who knows, but I'm pretty sure Casemiro would have done a much better job at cutting out that movement towards our goal. You only need to repeat that difference between both players several times, and that is several more times you are letting the opposition run at your defence in dangerous positions, and several more times you fail to turn over the ball and maybe start an attack of your own.

We desperately need cover for Casemiro, and hopefully ETH will know by the summer whether Fred or McTomminay can be trained up to be better than they maybe show now.

Nice to see Rashford score a headed goal like that. Along with one earlier in the season, if he can properly add that sort of threat to his game as well, it'll be fantastic. Also nice to see Sancho score. Not sure how he performed in the game overall, but if ETH has seen enough potential in him, to ask him to take time away to really get himself right, then I'll be intrigued to see how he gets on if he can come back feeling happier and more confident.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site

Fred next to Casemiro is great, but Sabitzer looked a lot more accomplished last night . Im worried the teams looking lethargic. 10 games in 30 days is a tough stretch.

Leeds came to fight hard today and played well. Amazing what happens when you lose a manager.

Billysboots

Visit site
Fred next to Casemiro is great, but Sabitzer looked a lot more accomplished last night . Im worried the teams looking lethargic. 10 games in 30 days is a tough stretch.

Leeds came to fight hard today and played well. Amazing what happens when you lose a manager.

I like what I saw of Sabitzer - he linked the play up nicely and snuffed out a lot of Leeds moves.

We do have a tough stretch, and my concern is that we will find out that, whilst our first choice line up is a match for anyone now, the squad remains a little thin.

Leeds were really up for it from the off and when United conceded possession, which was pretty much all night, Leeds were quick to make use of it. That lack of cover in front of the back four without Casemiro was glaringly obvious.

I was slightly puzzled last night with the decision to play Rashford on the right with Garnacho left from the start. I think most will agree Rashford is nowhere near as effective on the right of a front three and so it proved. An odd choice if I’m honest.

The highlight from a United perspective, for me at least, was Martinez. Yet again he showed he is absolutely as tough as they come, and in no way overpowered by a Leeds side who were bigger in stature, physical and, at times, very cynical. A fabulous signing and quite clearly a crowd favourite.

On a side note, I hadn’t realised before last night that Mason Greenwood was born in Yorkshire. The fact clearly wasn’t lost on the Old Trafford crowd who regularly sang “He’s Yorkshire like you” and “He’s one of your own” to the Leeds support. Great humour, even staring at the barrel at 2-0 down!

Last edited:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus have 'contacted more than 50 clubs' in a bid to launch a new European club competition to replace the Champions League.

The European Super League backers are planning to create a 60-80-team tournament that would replace the Champions League, according to The Telegraph.

The project would include a multi-division competition of 60-80 teams with no permanent members and a minimum of 14 games

per club, per season.

A22, a company formed to sponsor and assist with the creation of the Super League, has consulted with clubs across Europe since October.

The company's chief executive Bernd Reichart told German outlet Die Welt: "The foundations of European football are in danger of collapsing.

"It's time for a change. It is the clubs that bear the entrepreneurial risk in football. But when important decisions are at stake, they are too often forced to sit idly by on the sidelines as the sporting and financial foundations crumble around them.

"Our talks have also made it clear that clubs often find it impossible to speak out publicly against a system that uses the threat of sanctions to thwart opposition.

"Our dialogue was open, honest, constructive and resulted in clear ideas about what changes are needed and how they could be implemented. There is a lot to do and we will continue our dialogue."

It's a new push as Real, Barcelona, and Juventus continue to battle with UEFA, having seen the proposed European Super League collapse two years ago.

The report states the new project is a result of conversations with clubs around Europe on the financial issues they're facing. It's claimed that they have 'focused their attacks' on the wealth of the Premier League.

They have referenced the dominance of England's top clubs in the transfer market and the effect that has on other European League with less lucrative television deals.

There are no details yet on how the original 60-80 teams would be constituted or how they would drop out of the competition to make way for new teams.

https://www.sportbible.com/football...C5DGvNmP7wuT9AjV5EhrFk1bEOZ5M63NPoLJT1U5Tlw5c

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Theyll be calling Palace v Brighton a derby next lol
The commentators try to explain that every season. I'm not sure their heart is ever really in it when they do :D

(a quick route planner suggests that both Elland Road to Old Trafford and Selhurst Park to the Amex are both about 45 miles apart. That aint no derby folks :))

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus have 'contacted more than 50 clubs' in a bid to launch a new European club competition to replace the Champions League.

The European Super League backers are planning to create a 60-80-team tournament that would replace the Champions League, according to The Telegraph.

The project would include a multi-division competition of 60-80 teams with no permanent members and a minimum of 14 games

per club, per season.

A22, a company formed to sponsor and assist with the creation of the Super League, has consulted with clubs across Europe since October.

The company's chief executive Bernd Reichart told German outlet Die Welt: "The foundations of European football are in danger of collapsing.

"It's time for a change. It is the clubs that bear the entrepreneurial risk in football. But when important decisions are at stake, they are too often forced to sit idly by on the sidelines as the sporting and financial foundations crumble around them.

"Our talks have also made it clear that clubs often find it impossible to speak out publicly against a system that uses the threat of sanctions to thwart opposition.

"Our dialogue was open, honest, constructive and resulted in clear ideas about what changes are needed and how they could be implemented. There is a lot to do and we will continue our dialogue."

It's a new push as Real, Barcelona, and Juventus continue to battle with UEFA, having seen the proposed European Super League collapse two years ago.

The report states the new project is a result of conversations with clubs around Europe on the financial issues they're facing. It's claimed that they have 'focused their attacks' on the wealth of the Premier League.

They have referenced the dominance of England's top clubs in the transfer market and the effect that has on other European League with less lucrative television deals.

There are no details yet on how the original 60-80 teams would be constituted or how they would drop out of the competition to make way for new teams.

https://www.sportbible.com/football...C5DGvNmP7wuT9AjV5EhrFk1bEOZ5M63NPoLJT1U5Tlw5c

Shock - Barca and Juve need more money after terrible business decisions are hurting them and they are financially crippled.

I read earlier that La Liga have told Barca to lower their wage bill again so I'm not surprised at the timing of this at all.

These clubs need to hop in the bin and stay there, there is no way any English side joins this stupid league after the backlash last time - and without us, it'll never work.

60-80 clubs is also laughable. I thought the top teams hated all the extra inclusions in the Champions League - why would they welcome more teams now other than again - being desperate for money!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Shock - Barca and Juve need more money after terrible business decisions are hurting them and they are financially crippled.

I read earlier that La Liga have told Barca to lower their wage bill again so I'm not surprised at the timing of this at all.

These clubs need to hop in the bin and stay there, there is no way any English side joins this stupid league after the backlash last time - and without us, it'll never work.

60-80 clubs is also laughable. I thought the top teams hated all the extra inclusions in the Champions League - why would they welcome more teams now other than again - being desperate for money!

I've just watched the A22 video on sky sports - https://www.skysports.com/football/...n-announced-by-chief-executive-bernd-reichart

Its hilarious, he's basically saying that because Barca and Juve cant compete anymore, we need change.

No - sort your own mess out.

Last thing I checked - Real Madrid have not struggled in the Champions league recently? We have only had two British teams win it in the last 10 years - Bayern have 2, Barca 1 and Madrid the rest (5)!!!

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Who do you think is the most exciting prospect in the Premier League?

Stolen from twitter.
Gnoto at Leeds seems to be a popular one.
But so does Lingard 😂
Garnacho looks like he could be one to me.

Billysboots

Visit site

per club, per season.

Won’t happen. I think this is even less of a goer than the last version.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
call it what you like, they hate us and so they should.
My wife is a season ticket holder there. I go a lot.

There’s literally no reason for it. I don’t get it. I’m not sure the majority of fans really get it and nobody really needs to care.

Palace have far bigger rivalries. It’s all a nonsense.

Swango1980

Visit site
Who do you think is the most exciting prospect in the Premier League?

Stolen from twitter.
Gnoto at Leeds seems to be a popular one.
But so does Lingard 😂
Garnacho looks like he could be one to me.
Phil Jones. I reckon when he breaks into the first team, he could be a special player.

If not, Garnacho.