The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
not sure id call an illegal work around an elephant, but the current situation is super annoying for most fans, especially those who pay for sky sports/bt sport/amazon and cant watch their team half the time

the more likely solution is to totally screw over the game going fans and not play any prem games at 3pm on a saturday, tv companies would happily do friday night, saturday lunchtime, saturday tea time, saturday evening, sunday lunchtime, sunday afternoon, sunday tea time, sunday evening and monday evening

my point being if someone really wants to watch a game, there is a relatively easy way of doing so, and a massive amount of people are taking advantage of that. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, merely that the argument for not showing games live at 3pm doesn't really hold a lot of water.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am a Villa fan... and I think I have justifiable evidence, we are in the top 8 with ease - its how you place the big trophies.

Villa v Spurs for example - Spurs have 26 to Villa's 25 significant trophies - but Villa have a European cup...

Spurs also have a more recent history of top 4 which may factor into some peoples decisions.
If we are going to go top 8 then it has to include Spurs and I'd go Villa and Everton as well. Spurs are ahead of both of us right now. They may not have had trophies recently but they have been near the top end with regularity, cracking stadium, strong attendances.

Neither Villa nor Everton are close to being one of the 5 biggest right now. We just haven't done enough over the last 20+ years to warrant it 🤷‍♂️

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
How do you define a big club.

Certainly the five mentioned re City, UTD, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea.

Then it gets subjective, Villa and Forest are not a big club even though they have won a champions league. Really, Last time I looked neither Have City or Arsenal.

Yup put me down for Villa and Forest. Also put me down for Newcastle. Everton they can have a mention. Also Spurs.

But back to the original five. 10 years ago that five would have been four Had City not spent money, Don’t know if that’s been noticed.😉 But City had History and European trophies before 2010. But there in lies the problem. Football was invented before the Premier league, and the history of these clubs goes back further than February 20th 1992 when the old first division broke away from the football league to take advantage of Skys lucrative money deals. Note Money now comes into it.
Read up on the Prem league via Wikipedia , through the greed of the premier league it was boring seeing the big four dominate football for 10 years. It then became the big 6 with City and Spurs regularly getting in the top four which meant champs league football. Along the way Leicester and now Newcastle are upsetting the top table with there unwanted arrival.
Yup the big club discussion could be a good one. Let’s hope it don’t get personal and involve the thread being blocked like has happened on a few occasions recently.👍

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
my point being if someone really wants to watch a game, there is a relatively easy way of doing so, and a massive amount of people are taking advantage of that. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, merely that the argument for not showing games live at 3pm doesn't really hold a lot of water.

So because prem league fans are illegally watching their teams anyway then they should scrap the rule protecting lower league club attendances and not worry about the financial impact it has on all of those clubs?

the argument holds plenty of water unless you only care about premier league football, which sadly seems the way its heading

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So because prem league fans are illegally watching their teams anyway then they should scrap the rule protecting lower league club attendances and not worry about the financial impact it has on all of those clubs?

the argument holds plenty of water unless you only care about premier league football, which sadly seems the way its heading

Every championship game is shown, as are a number of League 1 games. Basically, if your club plays in a league that had done a deal with foreign broadcasters, or has it's own tv channel showing games to overseas subscribers, then it's going to be available cheaply and easily.

If you stacked up the number of, lets say, Liverpool fans who watch their 3pm kick offs illegally vs the number who decide to go and watch Tranmere Rovers instead, it would be a landslide for the former.

But ignoring IPTV for a minute, why is it ok for Sky to show games on a midweek evening when there is a full lower league card, but not on a Saturday afternoon?

Swango1980

Visit site
There is, all you have to do is leave the country! Utterly ridiculous

the 3pm block on a saturday is to support all the level of the pyramid down who would likly lose paying fans if the premier league games were on the tv
I wonder how much this would impact lower league clubs. I'd have thought a lot of fans that go to these games are local fans, that would be there regardless of who is on TV? All football league games have TV cameras, so if all games were shown, either on the main broadcasters (the biggest games), or on pay per view on the other individual games, could this attract more money to be spread amongst the lower league clubs? They would (hopefully) have similar gate receipts, but perhaps have a few more fans that cannot get to the game, but love that team, paying (say £5) to watch their match from home

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I wonder how much this would impact lower league clubs. I'd have thought a lot of fans that go to these games are local fans, that would be there regardless of who is on TV? All football league games have TV cameras, so if all games were shown, either on the main broadcasters (the biggest games), or on pay per view on the other individual games, could this attract more money to be spread amongst the lower league clubs? They would (hopefully) have similar gate receipts, but perhaps have a few more fans that cannot get to the game, but love that team, paying (say £5) to watch their match from home

Its not only football league though its non league too. I know plenty of prem league club fans who go and watch football elsewhere on a saturday. for eg if Arsenal are away people go and watch Borehamwood as one of my mates does , how many of them would do so if the Arsenal game was live on TV?

D

Deleted member 15344

How do you define a big club.

Certainly the five mentioned re City, UTD, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea.

Then it gets subjective, Villa and Forest are not a big club even though they have won a champions league. Really, Last time I looked neither Have City or Arsenal.

Yup put me down for Villa and Forest. Also put me down for Newcastle. Everton they can have a mention. Also Spurs.

But back to the original five. 10 years ago that five would have been four Had City not spent money, Don’t know if that’s been noticed.😉 But City had History and European trophies before 2010. But there in lies the problem. Football was invented before the Premier league, and the history of these clubs goes back further than February 20th 1992 when the old first division broke away from the football league to take advantage of Skys lucrative money deals. Note Money now comes into it.
Read up on the Prem league via Wikipedia , through the greed of the premier league it was boring seeing the big four dominate football for 10 years. It then became the big 6 with City and Spurs regularly getting in the top four which meant champs league football. Along the way Leicester and now Newcastle are upsetting the top table with there unwanted arrival.
Yup the big club discussion could be a good one. Let’s hope it don’t get personal and involve the thread being blocked like has happened on a few occasions recently.👍

I guess it’s no longer boring just city dominating most years then ? Is it not 6 out of the last 10 years and 5 out of the last 8 or 3 out of the last 4 won by City ?

City and the money have made it a monumental task for any other club to win the title. They have to hope for City to slip up or lose a key player for a season and then the other team needs to be near perfect to challenge

If it was boring with Utd and Arsenal sharing titles in the 90’s and 00 then Utd and Chelsea sharing on the late 00’s and early 10’s it’s even more boring now

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Every championship game is shown, as are a number of League 1 games. Basically, if your club plays in a league that had done a deal with foreign broadcasters, or has it's own tv channel showing games to overseas subscribers, then it's going to be available cheaply and easily.

If you stacked up the number of, lets say, Liverpool fans who watch their 3pm kick offs illegally vs the number who decide to go and watch Tranmere Rovers instead, it would be a landslide for the former.

But ignoring IPTV for a minute, why is it ok for Sky to show games on a midweek evening when there is a full lower league card, but not on a Saturday afternoon?

Maybe it would but the local non league sides dont need a landslide, they just need the few hundred who come and pay that keeps their clubs alive

As for your later point i expect its 3 fold, one it happens far less often, when it does it only affects a smaller proportion of non premier league clubs and finally when the 3pm blackout was first agreed it didnt affect almost anyone as there were few midweek fixtures

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Broadcasting rights are ridiculous.

You can sign up for a peacock tv account in the US and watch literally every single EPL game every single week and it’ll cost you a paltry $5 a month (with everything else you get on Peacock too!)

In other news, I see Huddersfield have fired their second manager of the season. Since we beat them at Wembley in May:

- Carlos Corboran sacked
- two best players go to Forest
- Corboran hired by Forest sister club Olympiacos
- sacked a few weeks later
- Forest sent them their most useless keeper on loan
- Forest loanee Josh Bowler comes off the bench for Blackpool to score an injury time equaliser which keeps them bottom of the championship
- manager sacked

Feel a bit bad for them to be fair. RickG’s probably turning in his grave (sorry mate!)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Somebody needs to give ETH a geography lesson. Post match he kept calling it a derby 😄

Fair play to Leeds, a great sign for whoever is coming in that the squad is strong and together.