The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I understand change can be dangerous but when were Newcastle bought, mid Oct, and how well are they doing now?

Edit; but Everton will have missed tha Jan window.
My thinking is both your edit point and also who would come in as manager when you know the new owner might not want you?

I think you can change your manager when you want, you can change your owner when you want, but to do both at the same time, 2nd from bottom, with 5 days of a very important transfer window left would be reckless.

Do you think the Toon owners have equally rich relatives who want to join the fun? ?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
My thinking is both your edit point and also who would come in as manager when you know the new owner might not want you?

I think you can change your manager when you want, you can change your owner when you want, but to do both at the same time, 2nd from bottom, with 5 days of a very important transfer window left would be reckless.

Do you think the Toon owners have equally rich relatives who want to join the fun? ?

I think it is an issue of timing. The owner has made mistake after mistake. The infrastructure to support any manager must surely provide better players, both incoming and current. Its a chicken and egg thing. Gerrard had a decent infrastructure in place when he went to Rangers, and proved he could manage. He had a failing team and infrastructure at Villa, and was on a hiding to nothing. Lampard wasn’t neither good nor bad at Derby, and benefited from a honeymoon period/past rep at Chelsea but subsequently failed there and at Everton.

The Everton team is dire, and not helped by selling Richarlison. Recruitment is poor at best. The owner is way too hands on and is part of the problem. Where do they go from here? Personally, I’d appoint a manager to the end of the season. Hope they stay up, and use that time to, a) overhaul the infrastructure, b) appoint a decent manager, c) splash the cash in the summer. But will they stay up? Hope so but I fear this might be the season they go down, and they look the least likely of any time I’ve seen to bounce back.

A sugar daddy owner could make a huge difference, but I don’t see the current owner/crew doing anything other than consign Everton to a long spell in the Championship.

Swango1980

Visit site
Love to know what position Wan Bissaka thinks he is playing sometimes. He's all over the place. He looks confused every time you watch him. Like playing FIFA, you try and select another player, get the wrong one, and therefore the wrong player moves toward or away from the ball.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Love to know what position Wan Bissaka thinks he is playing sometimes. He's all over the place. He looks confused every time you watch him. Like playing FIFA, you try and select another player, get the wrong one, and therefore the wrong player moves toward or away from the ball.
Tonight yes but lately he’s been back to near his best imo

Swango1980

Visit site
Is it just me that thinks Fernandes looks poorer than ever in a team that's started to play better?
Apparently he plays worse when he isn't the star player, which is why he was awful when Ronaldo was there. If that's the case, he is probably playing poorly because Rashford is the star, while the likes of Casemiro and Martinez are getting the plaudits :)

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I have to say, everything Weghorst has done tonight he has done really well. Some really good hold up play, neat lay-offs and took his goal very well.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Overall quite a comfortable performance from Man U. Looked a bit open at the back at times but Forest never really created clear opportunities. Plenty of scope for Man U to rest players in the 2nd leg to keep them fresh for their PL challenge.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Overall quite a comfortable performance from Man U. Looked a bit open at the back at times but Forest never really created clear opportunities. Plenty of scope for Man U to rest players in the 2nd leg to keep them fresh for their PL challenge.
I suspect we might rest a few and give some of the kids a run out, as the league has to be our focus.

My thoughts from the game;
- we will be good enough to stay up, but are a while away from competing with top 6 teams at the minute, understandably.
- still trying to find consistency, which I can deal with. Less than 20 games together for the majority of these lads and we still have some nice periods and are heading in the right direction
- our Brazilians are going to be magnificent once they’re fully up to speed
- pay Wolves whatever they want for Gibbs-White. Even when he has an average game, he is involved in everything we do.
- I hate VAR ?
- Wayne Hennessey is not the answer. Has to do better with two of the goals. Please come back soon Dean Henderson.
- Need more pace at the back. I love Worrall and McKenna but two snails at CB is a constant worry.
- It’s a Mickey Mouse cup anyway (unless we win 4-0 next week ??)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I suspect we might rest a few and give some of the kids a run out, as the league has to be our focus.

My thoughts from the game;
- we will be good enough to stay up, but are a while away from competing with top 6 teams at the minute, understandably.
- still trying to find consistency, which I can deal with. Less than 20 games together for the majority of these lads and we still have some nice periods and are heading in the right direction
- our Brazilians are going to be magnificent once they’re fully up to speed
- pay Wolves whatever they want for Gibbs-White. Even when he has an average game, he is involved in everything we do.
- I hate VAR ?
- Wayne Hennessey is not the answer. Has to do better with two of the goals. Please come back soon Dean Henderson.
- Need more pace at the back. I love Worrall and McKenna but two snails at CB is a constant worry.
- It’s a Mickey Mouse cup anyway (unless we win 4-0 next week ??)
Can't argue much with this.
I thought we played pretty well - at times. Still too many mistakes and errors, but we're not the headless chickens that we were at the beginning of the season. We created chances but didn't make much of them. And sadly, United are a much better team than us. Looking forward to seeing more of Scarpa. And could we not have bought Henderson? He's pretty much burnt his bridges as regards going back to United?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any Alexa users say "good morning" to her for today's football related birthday. I think her writer is a Gooner!

As for last night - keeper has to do better on all three goals for me...David not a happy Forest fan!

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well, we've reached the point with technology in the game that a goal is disallowed when the front half of the striker's patella bone is offside.

I personally can't decide if that's a good thing or not.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I think it is an issue of timing. The owner has made mistake after mistake. The infrastructure to support any manager must surely provide better players, both incoming and current. Its a chicken and egg thing. Gerrard had a decent infrastructure in place when he went to Rangers, and proved he could manage. He had a failing team and infrastructure at Villa, and was on a hiding to nothing. Lampard wasn’t neither good nor bad at Derby, and benefited from a honeymoon period/past rep at Chelsea but subsequently failed there and at Everton.

The Everton team is dire, and not helped by selling Richarlison. Recruitment is poor at best. The owner is way too hands on and is part of the problem. Where do they go from here? Personally, I’d appoint a manager to the end of the season. Hope they stay up, and use that time to, a) overhaul the infrastructure, b) appoint a decent manager, c) splash the cash in the summer. But will they stay up? Hope so but I fear this might be the season they go down, and they look the least likely of any time I’ve seen to bounce back.

A sugar daddy owner could make a huge difference, but I don’t see the current owner/crew doing anything other than consign Everton to a long spell in the Championship.

Jog on there, we have some of the best training facilities in the prem and some of the richest owners in the league. He had money to spend - and he did spend it, there is no excuse for him at all.

Gerrard is not a good manager, he relied on a quality assistant who since leaving Gerrards shadow has already got the Rangers job of his own accord.

Unai has got more out of the same group of players than Gerrard ever did.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any Alexa users say "good morning" to her for today's football related birthday. I think her writer is a Gooner!

As for last night - keeper has to do better on all three goals for me...David not a happy Forest fan!

We don’t have a league game for 10 days so hopefully Deano is back between the sticks by the time we play Leeds.