The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Saying on Sky that Dyche expected to be appointed today. What do you think LT?
I think it is a sensible appointment based on where we are at right now. The Bielsa appt could have been fun but not with us in our current position with our current team. It doesn't fit how he plays and he does seem to only have one way.

Dyche can get up and running straight away, should be able to put a bit of backbone into the team. I think he will be pragmatic and that is no bad thing at the moment. If he can keep us up it will give him a chance to build a team as he did at Burnley, but with a bigger budget for better players than he ever had before. It's a great opportunity for him to show what he can do, and that will hopefully be good for us as well.

I think most Evertonians will support this.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Sean Dyche is a strange one for me. It’s obvious why they have gone for him, but will he satisfy the evertons fans itch. Heard a guy on talk sport saying how Dyche can get out of players at Everton what he could not get out of the Burnley lot coz they are different type of player. I couldn’t disagree more. Look at Burnley now under Kompany, playing very good football and romping away with it. Plus Burnley had a battling mentalIty and still do. Do the Everton players have that same battling mentality. Am sure we will know at the end of the season.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sean Dyche is a strange one for me. It’s obvious why they have gone for him, but will he satisfy the evertons fans itch. Heard a guy on talk sport saying how Dyche can get out of players at Everton what he could not get out of the Burnley lot coz they are different type of player. I couldn’t disagree more. Look at Burnley now under Kompany, playing very good football and romping away with it. Plus Burnley had a battling mentalIty and still do. Do the Everton players have that same battling mentality. Am sure we will know at the end of the season.
A different voice, a different set up. Do you think in our next two games, Arsenal and Liverpool, he will have Coady and Tarkowski playing tippy tappy at the back? Will the wide man turn back and keep playing back to the full backs? I think we will see more balls into the box, played earlier, and bodies thrown in there when we attack. We need to start scoring goals if we are going to stay up and what we were doing before wasn't working.

I get the point about Burnley, Kompany is doing a superb job. Hopefully Dyche can evolve from his Burnley days, perhaps his mindset there became fixed? Also bear in mind that the championship is pretty poor and so gives you a little more freedom to try things out, particularly when you still have PL players still in yr 1 of dropping down.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
They had a sort of phone in on BBC R5 this morning, why are there no women getting managers jobs in men’s football, they suggested one should have been given a chance at Everton. I almost spat my coffee out, it would be a big fat no from me.
Anyone else like to comment?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
They had a sort of phone in on BBC R5 this morning, why are there no women getting managers jobs in men’s football, they suggested one should have been given a chance at Everton. I almost spat my coffee out, it would be a big fat no from me.
Experiment at another club thank you very much.

It will happen at some point but not yet and not in the PL for many years.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

I read somewhere (I think BBC but no idea) this week that the percentage of male coaches in the WSL has increased in recent years, which suggests that the coaching level isn't there yet across the women's game.

A few names out there might be up for it, but as I've stated on this thread before, its going to take one hell of a women to be "the first" because the scrutiny they will come under will be far greater than any man has ever had.

It will come one day I'm sure, with the footballing levels always on the up in the women's game within 5-10 years or so we should get a strong stable of experienced ex pro's who know the game very well and one will take the plunge!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
A different voice, a different set up. Do you think in our next two games, Arsenal and Liverpool, he will have Coady and Tarkowski playing tippy tappy at the back? Will the wide man turn back and keep playing back to the full backs? I think we will see more balls into the box, played earlier, and bodies thrown in there when we attack. We need to start scoring goals if we are going to stay up and what we were doing before wasn't working.

I get the point about Burnley, Kompany is doing a superb job. Hopefully Dyche can evolve from his Burnley days, perhaps his mindset there became fixed? Also bear in mind that the championship is pretty poor and so gives you a little more freedom to try things out, particularly when you still have PL players still in yr 1 of dropping down.

One other thing it did mention was the month of Feb is massive for Everton. Three homes games and a game against your bitter rivals. Going to be a massive month for the Everton fans and the club

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
One other thing it did mention was the month of Feb is massive for Everton. Three homes games and a game against your bitter rivals. Going to be a massive month for the Everton fans and the club
They are all big months now. January was a big month, 2 home games, 2 games v teams around us at the bottom, West Ham and Southampton. We lost all 4 games :eek: . I take your point though.

RichA

Visit site
Experiment at another club thank you very much.

It will happen at some point but not yet and not in the PL for many years.
If Dyche maintains his career managerial record, you'll finish with less than 40 points, probably be relegated, he'll be sacked and you'll be looking for another manager. I don't understand why the same men keep being appointed in the same situations. Why not try something different?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If Dyche maintains his career managerial record, you'll finish with less than 40 points, probably be relegated, he'll be sacked and you'll be looking for another manager. I don't understand why the same men keep being appointed in the same situations. Why not try something different?
Dyche isn't a Steve Bruce or Mark Hughes. He was manager at Burnley for 10 years, had little to spend and yet built a club that stayed in the PL year after year, punching above its weight. He hasn't bounced around clubs.

I'd argue that appointing Lampard was trying something different and that didn't work. Dyche has earned his chance, in the same way that Howe did at Newcastle after getting the boot from Bournemouth.

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
And could we not have bought Henderson? He's pretty much burnt his bridges as regards going back to United?

I suspect (hope) that we try to sign him if we survive this season. Agree he's burnt his bridges and would prefer to come to us, but not if we're back down as he's also thinking of his England chances.

We don’t have a league game for 10 days so hopefully Deano is back between the sticks by the time we play Leeds.

News I read this morning is that he might be back for the game after that one. Fingers crossed.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I think it is a sensible appointment based on where we are at right now. The Bielsa appt could have been fun but not with us in our current position with our current team. It doesn't fit how he plays and he does seem to only have one way.

Dyche can get up and running straight away, should be able to put a bit of backbone into the team. I think he will be pragmatic and that is no bad thing at the moment. If he can keep us up it will give him a chance to build a team as he did at Burnley, but with a bigger budget for better players than he ever had before. It's a great opportunity for him to show what he can do, and that will hopefully be good for us as well.

I think most Evertonians will support this.

Ironically, I think the Burnley sacking of Dyche perhaps kept Lampard in a job at Everton. Had Dyche remained in post I think Everton, rather than Burnley, would have gone down last season.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ironically, I think the Burnley sacking of Dyche perhaps kept Lampard in a job at Everton. Had Dyche remained in post I think Everton, rather than Burnley, would have gone down last season.
Not sure whether I agree entirely there BB. The next 4 games under the caretakers Burnley had 10 points so a huge rebound. from memory it was the last game of the season when resilts went against them.

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Cherie Lunghi tried it in 1989. Mixed results I think.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

Would they be any worse than the likes of Lampard, Gerrard or Bruce?

I’d happily have Emma Hayes as a manager.

Swango1980

Visit site
Would they be any worse than the likes of Lampard, Gerrard or Bruce?

I’d happily have Emma Hayes as a manager.
It would be a risk

As much as we strive to aim for equality of opportunity, and like to tell ourselves that we are above any sort of discrimination in any form whatsoever, the very fact you have people in this world ready to spit their coffee out at the thought of a woman managing a mens team, or the idea that the BBC dare show WSL football, proves that there are many out there that just won't have that respect for a women at the forefront of the mens game. So, if you have a squad of about 30 players, you are not going to get 30 "modern men" that will be absolutely supporting the manager. You'll have some that have no respect from the very start and suspicious of their ability / qualifications. And, if not from the start, probably very quickly when they are not picked or get a telling off. Also, with so many nationalities in squads these days, I bet some are from nations with a more conservative view of women.

Yes, Lampard, Gerrard and Bruce have been considered failures. But, their experiences at the same level of the teams and players they have managed will have at least given them a good foundation to gain respect from players and fans. They know exactly what the public scrutiny and pressures in the mens game are, and the distractions footballers can have. I can't imagine any female manager has had any of those experiences at that level? If they were to get a managers job in the PL, the scrutiny on them would be tenfold compared to any other male manager.

Not saying a female cannot understand football at the level of Pep, or that they can't be a great manager of people. It would just be incredibly difficult if their starting position already has so many of the fans offside, and those extra obstacles (not even from a male female perspective, perhaps any one of us could be the greatest manager of all time, unbelievable philosophy in football, but even if a big club heard about us, we are lacking the experience at working at that level). It would be a bold move for any club to be the first to give it a go. I suspect if a woman ever does manage a PL team, they'd have quite a few years managing lower league mens teams, get the chance to hopefully show their sides playing really good football, then earning their stripes to move up the leagues. Rather than just managing at a high level in the ladies game, then jumping straight into the PL. Of course, it is probably what should happen with male managers as well, but as I said, their stature at the top of the mens game often gives them a massive head start

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Anthony Gordon from Everton to Newcastle for £40m plus add-ons being reported as a nigh on done deal.

As a Newcastle fan I'm not sure how I feel about this to be honest. Now granted I dont watch Everton much so probably dont have a proper view of him or his abilities but....when I first saw him a couple of seasons ago he seemed like a hardworking industrious player with a good degree of raw talent...he looked GOOD.

In recent times from what I've seen, he appears to be more of an angry wasp who has spent too much time suckling on fermenting apples.....racing round like a man possessed, snapping and biting left right and centre at anything in front of him, uncontrolled and liable to see red at any moment. Add in the fact that he seems to have downed tools to force the move through and it appears that he might be someone with a bit of an "attitude"....given the togetherness of the Newcastle squad at the moment I'm not sure whether he has the ability to knuckle down, fit in and get with the "work ethos" demonstrated by the squad. The last thing we need is another Craig Bellamy.

Hopefully Eddie Howe sees something there that he can work with, maybe knock some of the rough edges, mould him into the type of player who would work within the team...maybe develop him in the same way that he has Joelinton and Almiron.

Everton fans thoughts on Gordon would be interesting to hear?