The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Just back from the Southampton game. Newcastle look a well organised team and were very rarely in any real trouble, some better finishing would have seen them run away with the game I think. Almiron looked absolute quality and was a real danger, Southampton left back couldn’t handle him.

Southampton looked scared to commit players to an attack in the first half, but glad it opened up in the second half. Haven’t seen replays of the handballs yet, thought VAR added a bit of drama when the goal ruled out and definitely created a bit of an atmosphere.

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site
Maybe I’ve missed it in the thread but the English speaking paper here in Spain reporting Everton are up for sale Moshri wants over £500m. @Lord Tyrion heard anything?
https://euroweeklynews.com/2023/01/...dO8MxJALQ9SOQSElyeVSAoClfhhTDhZt9k0QwcexalqO0

There are a couple of conflicting story's circulating. The Guardian say its up for sale and the Daily Mail is saying its not. In my experience the truth is usually somewhere in between.

Who in the right mind would buy them in it's current state for £500m?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Just back from the Southampton game. Newcastle look a well organised team and were very rarely in any real trouble, some better finishing would have seen them run away with the game I think. Almiron looked absolute quality and was a real danger, Southampton left back couldn’t handle him.

Southampton looked scared to commit players to an attack in the first half, but glad it opened up in the second half. Haven’t seen replays of the handballs yet, thought VAR added a bit of drama when the goal ruled out and definitely created a bit of an atmosphere.

Armstrongs "goal"...the ball hit his hand which directed it on to his own knee and in.

Joelintons "goal"...a bit more debatable...some camera angles "appear" to show it might have hit his arm, one shows that it might not have hit his arm. If the ref had given the goal I dont think that VAR would have ruled it out....clear and obvious and all that.

I'm happy enough with a lead to take back to the home leg...with some calmer finishing could have been 3 but then its fair to say that Southampton could have had a goal themselves.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe I’ve missed it in the thread but the English speaking paper here in Spain reporting Everton are up for sale Moshri wants over £500m. @Lord Tyrion heard anything?
https://euroweeklynews.com/2023/01/...dO8MxJALQ9SOQSElyeVSAoClfhhTDhZt9k0QwcexalqO0
As per @HomecountiesJohn there are conflicting stories. Not all of the agencies are reporting it so that suggests it's still rumour. I can understand why he would want to sell right now but equally, from a business perspective, it would be an awful time to sell, unless he has someone set up to buy within days. Unlikely to be the latter with the amount of due diligence required.

If the story is for real then it will become clearer today ?‍♂️.

Maybe Ineos will look at the figures, £5bn for man utd or move the decimal point one way for Everton, and see a better deal and potential room for profit ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Two Liverpool fans arrested for homophobic chanting at the Chelsea game apparently :oops:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64360412

Yep we all know that they decided the chant was homophobic and that they would deal with anyone who did - just brainless

now the FA and the Police need to do something about the - Murderers , victims and Hillsborough chanting

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ans-Anfield-Hillsborough-disaster-chants.html

Neither of the chants are banter , it’s harmful

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
It still slightly blows my mind how much Newcastle has turned a corner within 12 months.

They've signed a few decent players for respectable fees but nothing mind blowing.

Eddie Howe was always highly rated, but did anyone actually think they'd be this good this fast? I think he's proving himself to be one of the best coaches working in the country

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It still slightly blows my mind how much Newcastle has turned a corner within 12 months.

They've signed a few decent players for respectable fees but nothing mind blowing.

Eddie Howe was always highly rated, but did anyone actually think they'd be this good this fast? I think he's proving himself to be one of the best coaches working in the country
Couldn't organise a defence was the comment when he was first appointed, I seem to remember. He has done a heck of a job of turning seemingly poor and average players into very good ones, making them work in the system he uses. First class.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Couldn't organise a defence was the comment when he was first appointed, I seem to remember. He has done a heck of a job of turning seemingly poor and average players into very good ones, making them work in the system he uses. First class.

Their whole defense plus goalkeeper cost less than Maguire or VVD :ROFLMAO:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

Amazing to think that Eddie Howe sat around without a job for ages as well. I guess he did not fit the current trend for managerial appointments.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Amazing to think that Eddie Howe sat around without a job for ages as well. I guess he did not fit the current trend for managerial appointments.

I think he turned down one or two approaches in that time but you're right! He sat out for almost a year waiting for the right opportunity.

Now he's got PIF Billions :ROFLMAO: Smart man!

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Eddie Howe was always highly rated, but did anyone actually think they'd be this good this fast?

No...and the sudden rise is not necessarily a good thing...its like building a pyramid upside down...the foundations are not quite where they should be...also expectations (of a certain demographic of fans, who have promptly forgotten the wilderness years under Ashley, AND of pundits/media speculators, who are airing their own view of what they think the Newcastle fans expectations are...which then become cast in stone as ipso facto truths) have been raised unrealistically. We still dont have any sort of strength in depth and, with a couple of exceptions, the players who come off the bench are not of the same level as the first choice eleven, who have now started for the last four matches. That's not sustainable, players will get tired trying to perform at such high intensity levels for so long, which will lead to injuries, possibly long term and without cover in depth, results will suffer.

A good cup run and a solid mid table, possibly 8th-10th finish, without ever flirting with relegation was probably a fair expectation for the season. Now we have a few toes in a cup final and are challenging for CL qualification....that's a world apart from where we should be.

Howe has done a fantastic job, the players are playing to a system, they are infinitely fitter than they ever were under Bruce, and most importantly, there is a togetherness and unity that bonds them together and makes them want to work for each other in very much the same way as the Darvel manager described in his pre-match talk the other night before the Aberdeen cup game.

At any rate, Newcastle are over-achieving and there will probably be a few bumps to absorb as the season progresses.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
No...and the sudden rise is not necessarily a good thing...its like building a pyramid upside down...the foundations are not quite where they should be...also expectations (of a certain demographic of fans, who have promptly forgotten the wilderness years under Ashley, AND of pundits/media speculators, who are airing their own view of what they think the Newcastle fans expectations are...which then become cast in stone as ipso facto truths) have been raised unrealistically. We still dont have any sort of strength in depth and, with a couple of exceptions, the players who come off the bench are not of the same level as the first choice eleven, who have now started for the last four matches. That's not sustainable, players will get tired trying to perform at such high intensity levels for so long, which will lead to injuries, possibly long term and without cover in depth, results will suffer.

A good cup run and a solid mid table, possibly 8th-10th finish, without ever flirting with relegation was probably a fair expectation for the season. Now we have a few toes in a cup final and are challenging for CL qualification....that's a world apart from where we should be.

Howe has done a fantastic job, the players are playing to a system, they are infinitely fitter than they ever were under Bruce, and most importantly, there is a togetherness and unity that bonds them together and makes them want to work for each other in very much the same way as the Darvel manager described in his pre-match talk the other night before the Aberdeen cup game.

At any rate, Newcastle are over-achieving and there will probably be a few bumps to absorb as the season progresses.

We are having similar at Tigers rugby at the moment. Several years of being near the bottom of the table, new management team comes and we show improvement in year one and then won the league in year 2. That was way above expectaions and now certain aspects of the fan base and media are portaying this season as a massive drop and disappointment just because we are back to where we should be on our road to improvement having got well ahead of ourselves. Unexpected success breeds its own problems.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Moshiri has denied the club are for sale this morning. He is looking for new investors but he is not looking to sell. Whatever fans may think, now is not the time to go through a sales process so this is good news imo.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

It might not even be this season, I think you may well continue on the same trajectory this year, fair enough, you may get pipped to the post for top 4 if you suddenly have a sustained dip in form but I imagine you'll still qualify for some level of European competition when its all said and done.

Its maintaining and improving from there - building a larger squad to deal with more fixtures - introducing new players (they wont all be successes) - and going again year on year.

Newtonuti

Visit site
Scunthorpe United finally sold! David Hilton (Ex-Ilkeston owner) has been appointed chairman and owner this evening. Finally! We can start rebuilding now, with Hilton saying he's paying off the HMRC bill within 48 hours, and any property development on the surrounding land will be reinvested straight back into the club. He's also hoping to get new players in ASAP.

Fair to say, I'm absolutely BUZZING!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Moshiri has denied the club are for sale this morning. He is looking for new investors but he is not looking to sell. Whatever fans may think, now is not the time to go through a sales process so this is good news imo.

I understand change can be dangerous but when were Newcastle bought, mid Oct, and how well are they doing now?

Edit; but Everton will have missed tha Jan window.

Last edited: