The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lucky to be 5th in league strange season, just 3 points off Man United.

With Liverpool and Chelsea underperforming it’s still possible to finish 4th

A good FA cup run and who knows how the champions league will pan out the season could go either way.

I watched a Brighton game the other week and what a breath of fresh air they were compared to Spurs.

One things for sure we won’t change our style of play while Conte’s in charge and it won’t be entertaining.
I wouldn't mind the style if it worked, but you need world class defenders and wing backs, which we don't have, bar Romero, and even he looks like he's trying to get an early bath half the time. Biggest frustration for me is that he hasn't recognised that it's not working - you either try something else or coach them better surely? But hey, he's the handsomely paid manager and I'm nobody so what do I know. It just seems so obvious as an observer. I used to think the best managers would look at the players they have and choose a system that plays to their strengths. He seems to do it backwards. Pick a system, stick to it no matter what, and if the players can't manage it, buy new ones that can. And if we don't spend a billion pounds on assembling a whole new team for him, we get accused of "not backing the manager". :unsure:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hope Everton announce a manager today. 15 Sam Allardyce gifs and counting from 'witty' Liverpool fans :rolleyes:
Two favourites for the job are hilariously polar opposite - Bielsa and Dyche! Personally I don't think Bielsa would be the way forward. Dyche more likely to keep you up but less likely to fit the mould of what fans and the board maybe want to see on the pitch. Personally I think he's the better bet though.

Rooney is only 12/1, fancy him? Haha that really would be out of the frying pan into the fire.

D

Deleted member 15344

UEFA are really on the ball when it comes to cracking down on FFP

First they bottle and fail to deal with City

And now after Chelsea find a way around FFP using long contracts they now want to bring in rules in the Prem reducing contact length down to 5 year max - all a bit late as the £500mil horse is halfway around the course

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Two favourites for the job are hilariously polar opposite - Bielsa and Dyche! Personally I don't think Bielsa would be the way forward. Dyche more likely to keep you up but less likely to fit the mould of what fans and the board maybe want to see on the pitch. Personally I think he's the better bet though.

Rooney is only 12/1, fancy him? Haha that really would be out of the frying pan into the fire.
You have to hope most are just paper talk. Rooney would be laughable, or tearful :cry:. It would be a crazy move.

Bielsa is one you could go for if the team was mid table, players were suitable. I don't see how he would suit a relegation battle when he only has one method of playing. Great fun but not what we need now. Dyche is the best fit right now. Hopefully, with better players and more money to spend than he ever had at Burnley, he would be more expansive. Not for the rest of this season, that is just about survival. We need this to be a pragmatic appointment, an appointment to rebuild.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You have to hope most are just paper talk. Rooney would be laughable, or tearful :cry:. It would be a crazy move.

Bielsa is one you could go for if the team was mid table, players were suitable. I don't see how he would suit a relegation battle when he only has one method of playing. Great fun but not what we need now. Dyche is the best fit right now. Hopefully, with better players and more money to spend than he ever had at Burnley, he would be more expansive. Not for the rest of this season, that is just about survival. We need this to be a pragmatic appointment, an appointment to rebuild.
Dyche would keep you up but you need a striker, if not two strikers if he wants 4-4-2. I've just had a look and your top scorers have only three goals? I didn't know it was that bad to be honest. :LOL: Only two goals in total have been scored by strikers. Conceded less goals than Spurs have, you just haven't scored any. Not much time to bring someone in though.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
UEFA are really on the ball when it comes to cracking down on FFP

First they bottle and fail to deal with City

And now after Chelsea find a way around FFP using long contracts they now want to bring in rules in the Prem reducing contact length down to 5 year max - all a bit late as the £500mil horse is halfway around the course

I don't have an issue with a longer contract but they should make all clubs be fully paid up within 3-5 years for any transfer fees etc. Wages and contract length should purely be down to the clubs and players to decide between them.

D

Deleted member 15344

I hope Everton announce a manager today. 15 Sam Allardyce gifs and counting from 'witty' Liverpool fans :rolleyes:

??
where is the sense of humour , it’s just an easy target at the moment

Maybe if Allardyce wasn’t hounded out by the fans you could still be enjoying the top table finishes

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dyche would keep you up but you need a striker, if not two strikers if he wants 4-4-2. I've just had a look and your top scorers have only three goals? I didn't know it was that bad to be honest. :LOL: Only two goals in total have been scored by strikers. Conceded less goals than Spurs have, you just haven't scored any. Not much time to bring someone in though.
We have needed a striker since Calvert Lewin became 90% glass, 2 seasons now. It is the failure to have a back up that can actually do a job that has us in our current position. The rest of the team is relatively okay but if you can't score you are going to be near the bottom, as teams prove year after year.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
??
where is the sense of humour , it’s just an easy target at the moment

Maybe if Allardyce wasn’t hounded out by the fans you could still be enjoying the top table finishes
Maybe your mob should still have Hodgson in charge? Some managers are plain wrong for a club. Allardyce was never wanted, he did nothing to change the mind of any fan during his brief stay.

The first few that came through were to be expected, they come up each time, but when you reach double figures you start to want some originality :sleep:

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have needed a striker since Calvert Lewin became 90% glass, 2 seasons now. It is the failure to have a back up that can actually do a job that has us in our current position. The rest of the team is relatively okay but if you can't score you are going to be near the bottom, as teams prove year after year.

I watched your highlights on Saturday night, you just look weak, no fight or urgency to win the ball back after you lose it. Lots of tippy tappy nonsense with no end results, much like the players don't really give a ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I watched your highlights on Saturday night, you just look weak, no fight or urgency to win the ball back after you lose it. Lots of tippy tappy nonsense with no end results, much like the players don't really give a ?
That is where you hope the new manager can get things going again. When you see a display like that you start to think the players are not listening to the manager any more. Equally, tippy tappy nonsense with no end result isn't working, so why keep doing it? Managers having a fixed philosophy with no plan B does my nut. You have to adapt.

D

Deleted member 15344

Maybe your mob should still have Hodgson in charge? Some managers are plain wrong for a club. Allardyce was never wanted, he did nothing to change the mind of any fan during his brief stay.

The first few that came through were to be expected, they come up each time, but when you reach double figures you start to want some originality :sleep:

Hodgson had a club in the bottom half of the table with everything going backwards

Allardyce got your club to a solid 8th place in the league and since he left the team have gone backwards - even Ancelotti couldn’t beat that result. Think Silva did ok but was another hounded out , it’s a common theme - 11 managers now since Moyes left with Martinez having the best finish in that time ( 5th ) and then even he was booed out of the place

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hodgson had a club in the bottom half of the table with everything going backwards

Allardyce got your club to a solid 8th place in the league and since he left the team have gone backwards - even Ancelotti couldn’t beat that result. Think Silva did ok but was another hounded out , it’s a common theme - 11 managers now since Moyes left with Martinez having the best finish in that time ( 5th ) and then even he was booed out of the place
Hounded out is a laughable statement. Pitchforks and fire?

Martinez and Silva couldn't organise a defence and did nothing to stop downward momentum in both situations. Absolute stubbornness cost both of them their job.

Allardyce produced turgid football, as he has at most clubs, and every single fan wanted him out.

Koeman we should have stuck with imo. The board jumped too soon there.

Ancelotti left of his own accord, nothing we could do about that.

Benitez was a crazy appointment by the owner alone, ignoring all advice from those around him. It was never going to work, certainly not with the ffp circumstances we had.

Lampard was a young, upcoming manager, given the chance to build a team and a squad, over time if he had stayed. Sadly, the last few months didn't give him that luxury. The fans weren't calling for him to go, it was down to the board / owner.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Hounded out is a laughable statement. Pitchforks and fire?

Martinez and Silva couldn't organise a defence and did nothing to stop downward momentum in both situations. Absolute stubbornness cost both of them their job.

Allardyce produced turgid football, as he has at most clubs, and every single fan wanted him out.

Koeman we should have stuck with imo. The board jumped too soon there.

Ancelotti left of his own accord, nothing we could do about that.

Benitez was a crazy appointment by the owner alone, ignoring all advice from those around him. It was never going to work, certainly not with the ffp circumstances we had.

Lampard was a young, upcoming manager, given the chance to build a team and a squad, over time if he had stayed. Sadly, the last few months didn't give him that luxury. The fans weren't calling for him to go, it was down to the board / owner.

This next appointment is so key for you lot, its make or break now...

I hate to say it, but get it wrong and it may be time for the drop for Everton. Flirted with it for far too long, eventually it just becomes a matter of when and not if.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Most expendable person at a football club is the manager.
Reason: When the team win it's thanks to the players.
When they lose it's the manager's fault.
So who'd be a manager?
£6 million not bad for a few months work.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Its horrible when your clubs facing the drop, we flirted with the drop for a number of years before the inevitable happened, but the light at the end of the tunnel is - its nice winning some games for a few seasons :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The way Everton are, a double drop wouldnt be out of the question.