The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I watched "Drink It In, The Rise of Man City" this morning. Some of the emotions almost as raw as they were 10 years ago. Much as I have turned away from football somewhat I'm not sure any other sport stirs the emotions quite so much.

Agueroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :love::love::love::love:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My thoughts exactly.
I see some Liverpool fans have crawled out of the rock they’ve been hiding under.
Only to slate other teams,but not their own shambles ?‍♂️

Think Hodgson had a 41.7% win percentage and Klopp is around the 42% mark so was Hodgson really that bad?

Funny that even Fulham are above Liverpool

Assuming MikeH hasn't stuck his CV into Goodison yet?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't mind the style if it worked, but you need world class defenders and wing backs, which we don't have, bar Romero, and even he looks like he's trying to get an early bath half the time. Biggest frustration for me is that he hasn't recognised that it's not working - you either try something else or coach them better surely? But hey, he's the handsomely paid manager and I'm nobody so what do I know. It just seems so obvious as an observer. I used to think the best managers would look at the players they have and choose a system that plays to their strengths. He seems to do it backwards. Pick a system, stick to it no matter what, and if the players can't manage it, buy new ones that can. And if we don't spend a billion pounds on assembling a whole new team for him, we get accused of "not backing the manager". :unsure:

Conte has been given money albeit not to the extent of the other top clubs and brought some very good players with the exception of Emerson Royal.

With a fully fit squad I think we are capable of competing for the top four .

The problem as I see it is Conte has been successful playing a certain kind of way and won’t change he’s a stubborn bugger.

It’s a frustrating watch and yes you would think he would see it’s not working and at least try something different.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What about Big Dunc to be appointed as manager / head coach?

Had to laugh, when this was posted elsewhere someone said if nothing else, I bet Arteta would stay in his technical area next week if Big Duncs in the Everton dug out :)

Actually think hed be a decent short term option till the end of the season (again?) but not sure they want a temporary option?

D

Deleted member 15344

Hounded out is a laughable statement. Pitchforks and fire?

Martinez and Silva couldn't organise a defence and did nothing to stop downward momentum in both situations. Absolute stubbornness cost both of them their job.

Allardyce produced turgid football, as he has at most clubs, and every single fan wanted him out.

Koeman we should have stuck with imo. The board jumped too soon there.

Ancelotti left of his own accord, nothing we could do about that.

Benitez was a crazy appointment by the owner alone, ignoring all advice from those around him. It was never going to work, certainly not with the ffp circumstances we had.

Lampard was a young, upcoming manager, given the chance to build a team and a squad, over time if he had stayed. Sadly, the last few months didn't give him that luxury. The fans weren't calling for him to go, it was down to the board / owner.

Every single manager apart from Ancelotti and Lampard has been subjected to the Goodison boos

Lampard is the worst manager seen at the place yet it seems he is being afforded a pass and it’s the boards fault - apparently Lampard “gets the fans”

Ancelotti wasted millions on rubbish and managed a grand total of 10th

Other managers who aren’t the most pleasing to the eye booed out of the place , even when finishing in respectable places

Martinez , Koeman , Allardyce , Silva all proven themselves to be good managers and all would be doing a better job and did do a better job than both Ancelotti and Lampard

a lot of it comes down to unrealistic expectations of the managers and what they can achieve with the tools given to them. It’s a club that’s been 4th once in 30 years but spent most of its time as a mid table solid Prem team - is I suspect going to find itself a championship club very soon - any manager coming in prob knows it won’t take long for the boos to start

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He has been out of the game for a little while since he left us. I wonder if he has changed his mind about that now? Equally, would it be too big a risk for the club? (lots of shoulder shrugging about this :D)
He would be a good stop gap at best. But he might look at what’s going on and think he’s better off out of it.
But the players havnt exactly covered themselves in glory.
some of them need a kick up the ass.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Every single manager apart from Ancelotti and Lampard has been subjected to the Goodison boos

Lampard is the worst manager seen at the place yet it seems he is being afforded a pass and it’s the boards fault - apparently Lampard “gets the fans”

Other managers who aren’t the most pleasing to the eye booed out of the place , even when finishing in respectable places

Martinez , Koeman , Allardyce , Silva all proven themselves to be good managers and all would be doing a better job and did do a better job than both Ancelotti and Lampard

a lot of it comes down to unrealistic expectations of the managers and what they can achieve with the tools given to them. It’s a club that’s been 4th once in 30 years but spent most of its time as a mid table solid Prem team - is I suspect going to find itself a championship club very soon - any manager coming in prob knows it won’t take long for the boos to start
So just the 1 spot behind where old Klipperty has Liverpool at the moment ?

Swango1980

Visit site

To summarise. Liverpoolphil thinks Everton have a useless bunch of fans who know nothing about football, and an club that makes awful decisions.

Unlike Liverpool, who have better fans than any other club in the world. They really understand football. The club are the best run club of all time.

I might be mistaken, but I think that was the gist of it :)

Pin-seeker

Visit site
To summarise. Liverpoolphil thinks Everton have a useless bunch of fans who know nothing about football, and an club that makes awful decisions.

Unlike Liverpool, who have better fans than any other club in the world. They really understand football. The club are the best run club of all time.

I might be mistaken, but I think that was the gist of it :)
Ask him to run you through all the clubs finances & how they only spend what they earn.
It’s fascinating ? ?

Ask him the last time he went to Anfield ??

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
That challenge by Pope is an interesting one. Probably a red card in rugby union. He knew exactly the end result of his challenge and no disregard for the welfare of the player he was going to flatten.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Tough first half. Lot of possession but creativity a bit lacking. Saints well organised at the back. Not sure about the "goal"...think if the referee had given it, VAR wouldnt have got involved (unless Mike Dean was the VAR operator) so one that could go either way as it was not obvious if it touched the arm or not. Willock a bit wasteful thrashing at balls when a little bit of control is needed.

Very similar to our recent games against Leeds, Fulham and Palace.

I'd have liked Isak to start along with ASM down the left just to give Wilson, who looks tired, a rest and provide something different to what the Saints may have expected if they'd scouted recent games.

D

Deleted member 15344

Tough first half. Lot of possession but creativity a bit lacking. Saints well organised at the back. Not sure about the "goal"...think if the referee had given it, VAR wouldnt have got involved (unless Mike Dean was the VAR operator) so one that could go either way as it was not obvious if it touched the arm or not. Willock a bit wasteful thrashing at balls when a little bit of control is needed.

Very similar to our recent games against Leeds, Fulham and Palace.

I'd have liked Isak to start along with ASM down the left just to give Wilson, who looks tired, a rest and provide something different to what the Saints may have expected if they'd scouted recent games.

I can’t see why it was disallowed ?‍♂️

Didn’t look like it hit his arm