The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
So one owner is a conman as he ploughs load of money into the club to try and get into the top division but the new one is completely different because he ploughs loads of money into the club to stay in the top division .......:unsure:

Incorrect. Al Hasawi and his board took money from the club, and tried to find loopholes around FFP to bring in signings we couldn't afford and paying them ridiculous wages (i.e. by using his own business to sponsor the team's kit), which caused us to have a transfer embargo for multiple windows. Not to mention rinsing through no less than EIGHT managers in 4 years of ownership.

Marinakis and the team he's built have helped clear the club's debt, stuck to FFP and sold players and academy graduates to fund new signings (i.e. we were basically forced to sell Matty Cash for £14m to Villa so that we could re-invest in more depth), and optimised loanees to keep club finances on an even keel. Whilst at the same time, culling the deadwood and overpaid players (with the exception of Harry Arter who is still stealing a living)
This culminated with promotion and receiving nearly £150m for being promoted, and actually re-investing ALL of that back into the club to give the management the best chance of competing in the Premier League.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't believe how excited Forest fans are about him. Fair enough, seems all parties are delighted about the deal.

I'm mainly excited because I trust Cooper's judgement. He's known him and coached him since pussy was a kitten - so he must have belief in being able to mould him into a world class player. Cooper has hit nothing but home runs with all the transfers he bought in the January window, so I've got no reason not to trust his judgement. As I've said before, we've massively overpaid, but IF he's instrumental in a.) Cooper signing his contract extension and b.) keeping us in the premier league - he's worth every bit of whatever the final value is. Sounds like you'll be guaranteed at least £10m on top of the £25m for appearances and the other £7-9m will come in if we achieve a decent league position and/or he bags a certain number of goals/assists. If we end up paying full whack, it likely means we've had a successful season.

Sounds like Everton tried to swoop in at the last minute. But no one wants to go and play for that sinking ship.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
£70m for a 30 year old....bringing the net spend over last 10 years to £974 million.

Wow.
Guillem Ballague did a really good piece on a podcast a day or two ago explaining why he wont suit how utd intend to play. Really wont suit ?. He couldn't work out the move. It will be interesting to see how it goes in reality.

On other news, Delle Alli looks as though he is off to the graveyard for English players, Turkey. Does anyone ever last more than a year playing there? What a waste of a career, only 26. Thankfully, the deal for Everton to take him from Spurs was a minimal cost outlay and so no real loss. A gamble worth taking, a shame he seems to have lost his desire for the game.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Cannot believe a Manchester club is paying over the Odds for over the hill players to try and get on the top table. Shouldn’t be allowed to happen ?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
£70m for a 30 year old....bringing the net spend over last 10 years to £974 million.

Wow.
A 30 year old this day and age is really ok he could honestly if he’s looked after himself go on for 5 or 6 good years.
However it all seems like desperation signings.
Jesse Lingard was at the club,an England international,a seasoned PL player and we got rid.
We are in a dire desperate situation.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Didn’t see the Spurs game, but looking at the stats doesn’t bold well entertainment wise.
Possession 50/50. Wolves had 20 shots to Spurs 11. Spurs 4 shots on target compared to Wolves 3.
I know stats can be misleading, but looks like a Conte team set up to play on the counter.
Home game set up to play counter football against Wolves. Certainly not how I like to see Spurs play ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Didn’t see the Spurs game, but looking at the stats doesn’t bold well entertainment wise.
Possession 50/50. Wolves had 20 shots to Spurs 11. Spurs 4 shots on target compared to Wolves 3.
I know stats can be misleading, but looks like a Conte team set up to play on the counter.
Home game set up to play counter football against Wolves. Certainly not how I like to see Spurs play ?
He did that last season against City and got a good win. Actually it was gutting for me but am sure you know what I mean. Would be surprised to see him do it all season. Wolves and quite a few prem teams are banana skin games. spurs top of the league ??

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wolves played a back five with effectively no strikers. It was them who played counter attack on us. Tough to break them down but we got there in the end. It wasn't a great watch really but 3 points, happy days. These are the games we would typically drop points on.

Edit: just on the shots - 10 of our 11 shots were from inside the box, 13 of their shots were from outside the box. I feel like Conte is instructing the team not to just hit speculative efforts and work to create better chances, like Pep's teams do.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

We were decent first half but no striker to finish the good build up off. Dreadful second half when you stepped it up abit.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Gibbs-white looks every bit worth the money. Thrown in for 20 minutes at the end of the game after one day training with the squad and produced some nice moments.
Really deserved the 3 points today, but switched off for their goal and paid the price (plus it was an absolute quality goal)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Gibbs-white looks every bit worth the money. Thrown in for 20 minutes at the end of the game after one day training with the squad and produced some nice moments.
Really deserved the 3 points today, but switched off for their goal and paid the price (plus it was an absolute quality goal)

after 20 mins? feels a bit like confirmation bias that Aztecs ;)

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
after 20 mins? feels a bit like confirmation bias that Aztecs ;)

?? Well the fact he can slot into a team and make the impact he did after one training session with the squad, I can only take as positive. Even Lingard looked better after he came on ?

I assume he’ll start against Spurs next weekend, so we’ll see what he’s all about, I suppose.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
?? Well the fact he can slot into a team and make the impact he did after one training session with the squad, I can only take as positive. Even Lingard looked better after he came on ?

I assume he’ll start against Spurs next weekend, so we’ll see what he’s all about, I suppose.

Poor old Jesse, last weeks news already ???

Hope they both look like world beaters next week :)

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Spurs won’t be used to playing in front of crowd noise, so hopefully that’ll throw them off their game a bit. ?

I thought I was the most positive football fan about but you take the crown now mate, love your optimism. You're after another of ours now, Willy Boly. Hasn't been the same since he had Covid and a few niggly injuries, I think you'll get him.