The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A fuss over nothing?

After the cover up from the establishment and Thatcher, when the fans were blamed for forcing the gates , those lies and many more were pedalled in the media for many many years.

It's still believed by some, the "murderers" chants along with " the sun was right, murderers", "always the victims" etc are routinely sang every week, these chants all stemmed from that disaster based on those same lies.

South Yorkshire Police/West Midlands Police forcing officers to change statements of events to coincide with the establishments lies.

116 of 164 police statements were 'amended to remove or alter comments unfavourable to South Yorkshire police'

Thousands of innocent fans were blamed for that tragic day, and those have had to fight to clear their name. For some, its taken its toll.

Duckenfield who actually admitted to openeing the gates many years after at the Hillsborough inquest admitted this.

So yeah he may have "just misspoke" but with his experience and vast football knowledge he should know better.

Do i think he meant it? No, i dont but it cannot be expected to go unchallenged neither.

There's no excuse for Ignorance on these types of matters.
He just misspoke. It seems like he meant to say "Hillsborough and also, incidents of hooliganism" but he said 'and other' instead. I accept that he had no intention of linking the two he just said the wrong word. It happens.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
☝️

A witch hunt?

It's an emotive subject ffs whereby a false narrative has been pedalled and accepted as the truth, irrespective of the real truth. It's understandable some will feel aggreived by his comments.

Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and accept responsibility.
Well he's apologised and explained that that's not at all what he meant to say. What more do you want?

D

Deleted member 1740

He just misspoke. It seems like he meant to say "Hillsborough and also, incidents of hooliganism" but he said 'and other' instead. I accept that he had no intention of linking the two he just said the wrong word. It happens.

I know what it seems but what he said was completely different.

I'm no English Language Linguistics expert but when you use "and other" in a sentence, you are insinuating they're comparable. As i understand it.

I also accept he never meant it, that doesn't mean he shouldnt be challenged or expected to clarify his comments.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
A fuss over nothing?

After the cover up from the establishment and Thatcher, when the fans were blamed for forcing the gates , those lies and many more were pedalled in the media for many many years.

It's still believed by some, the "murderers" chants along with " the sun was right, murderers", "always the victims" etc are routinely sang every week, these chants all stemmed from that disaster based on those same lies.

South Yorkshire Police/West Midlands Police forcing officers to change statements of events to coincide with the establishments lies.

116 of 164 police statements were 'amended to remove or alter comments unfavourable to South Yorkshire police'

Thousands of innocent fans were blamed for that tragic day, and those have had to fight to clear their name. For some, its taken its toll.

Duckenfield who actually admitted to openeing the gates many years after at the Hillsborough inquest admitted this.

So yeah he may have "just misspoke" but with his experience and vast football knowledge he should know better.

Do i think he meant it? No, i dont but it cannot be expected to go unchallenged neither.

There's no excuse for Ignorance on these types of matters.

Hey Stu, we all know the truth.
Liverpool supporters WERE NOT to blame, but were truly and tragically the victims.
We all know those that sing those chants are not fit to share our planet, but idiots will remain idiots
They only want to get a response ...................... try not to feed them, as difficult as I understand it must be.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1740

Well he's apologised and explained that that's not at all what he meant to say. What more do you want?

I want nothing off him, he's clarified his comments irrespective of my thoughts.

People in the media have a responsibility of what and how they say things. These are well educated people.

You've suggested it's a witch hunt against him. I find that particular comment crass all things considered.

4LEX

Visit site
To be fair hooligans were to blame for Hillsborugh - not directly on the day but by their behaviour that caused fans to be fenced in like animals.

RRidges

Visit site
To be fair hooligans were to blame for Hillsborugh - not directly on the day but by their behaviour that caused fans to be fenced in like animals.
You do seem to enjoy throwing controversial comments about! Didn't you predict that the Ukraine conflict would be over in 3 weeks with Russia having a bloody nose?
But certainly 'hooliganism' and the reaction of authorities, both by clubs and policing, to it had an effect - and there have been changes to counter that.

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
I know what it seems but what he said was completely different.

I'm no English Language Linguistics expert but when you use "and other" in a sentence, you are insinuating they're comparable. As i understand it.

I also accept he never meant it, that doesn't mean he shouldnt be challenged or expected to clarify his comments.
He was challenged. He apologised and explained himself. So, surely that should be that.

I think the original reaction on this thread was to Liverpoolphil calling him a bell end. Some people offer no forgiveness when someone misspeaks.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think the more entertaining and successful teams all seem to play the “press”. At its best it’s the high “press”, the likes of Man City, Liverpool and dare I say it Arsenal seem to be going that way.
Better brand of football.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok he slipped up but he is 76! I'm not his biggest fan or anything but his apology and explanation made sense to me. Obviously we'd got to Friday without a witch hunt though so he'll do.
Might make sense to you.
But to a lot of the families it won’t.
It’s really poor from someone in football who speaks for a living and should understand the power of the spoken word.

Swango1980

Visit site
Might make sense to you.
But to a lot of the families it won’t.
It’s really poor from someone in football who speaks for a living and should understand the power of the spoken word.
I'm sure he does. But, for someone who speaks for a living, and for so many years, I am sure he has uttered millions of words publicly. To assume he can robotically speak every word without any phrase being said in a way that could be taken out of context is absurd.

Is the simple truth not as follows: Liverpool fans have got angry because of how that statement could be interpreted. Since then, it has been clarified that that interpretation is incorrect, and was meant in a different context. Yet, some are still angry, despite the fact the thing that are actually angry about has been clarified as not existing at all. So, now some have to aim the same level of anger at a guys slip of the tongue and poorly strung together sentence.

If he was a chap who commonly went round putting his foot in it, you could question his ability to choose his words carefully. However, as far as I'm aware, he isn't exactly a controversial figure? So, maybe the best reaction is: yeah, fair enough, he meant no offense by what he said, he had apologised in the way he used those words, move on.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You've got to love how Fulham have been up and down since the dawn of time, but apparently still believe that THIS will be the time they stay up with Tim Ream still at centre back. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Why do they never learn??

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm sure he does. But, for someone who speaks for a living, and for so many years, I am sure he has uttered millions of words publicly. To assume he can robotically speak every word without any phrase being said in a way that could be taken out of context is absurd.

Is the simple truth not as follows: Liverpool fans have got angry because of how that statement could be interpreted. Since then, it has been clarified that that interpretation is incorrect, and was meant in a different context. Yet, some are still angry, despite the fact the thing that are actually angry about has been clarified as not existing at all. So, now some have to aim the same level of anger at a guys slip of the tongue and poorly strung together sentence.

If he was a chap who commonly went round putting his foot in it, you could question his ability to choose his words carefully. However, as far as I'm aware, he isn't exactly a controversial figure? So, maybe the best reaction is: yeah, fair enough, he meant no offense by what he said, he had apologised in the way he used those words, move on.
Yes I agree with most of what you say.
But the guy has been in football all his life commentating so when talking about things like this he needs to be a bit more aware.
It’s his job after all.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Klopp doing Klopp things. Didn’t win because pitch was dry, apparently ?

Forest looked predictably nervous early doors against the Toon. Weathered the storm though, and will hopefully come out settled (with some changes in midfield!) in the second half.