The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site

Surprisingly positive take from Talk Sport ?

Basically sums up my thoughts. Plus the entire league is talking about it…good exposure for the club after being away for 23 years; which will generate some nice extra revenue.

Hopefully the stars will align and I’ll be able to somehow make West Ham at home in three weeks (despite having a newborn ?), should have a bit of extra spice involved for the first home game back.

4LEX

Visit site
Forest are a proper football club with more European Cups than all the London clubs combined. Every fan was glad to see you get back to the top tier (bar Derby). You were always going to get exposure esopecially as the atmosphere will be superb at the City Ground and having an up and coming manager.

Having a clown like 'J Lingz' overshadowing everything isn't needed. Only my opinion and it means nothing as what happens on the pitch counts. If you stay up it's a bargain, if you go down a disaster. Where do you reckon you'll finish?

RichA

Visit site
Forest are a proper football club with more European Cups than all the London clubs combined. Every fan was glad to see you get back to the top tier (bar Derby). You were always going to get exposure esopecially as the atmosphere will be superb at the City Ground and having an up and coming manager.

Having a clown like 'J Lingz' overshadowing everything isn't needed. Only my opinion and it means nothing as what happens on the pitch counts. If you stay up it's a bargain, if you go down a disaster. Where do you reckon you'll finish?
Aren't we equal with Chelsea on 2. I think they're the only club south of Birmingham to win it.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site

15th or 16th I think is achievable but if we get ‘good’ Lingard, and some of our other signings make an impact, I don’t think top 12 would be out of the question given the way Cooper plays and manages dressing rooms. I’ll enjoy the ride no matter what…23 years is a long time to wait :)

I assume you’re a United fan? Given your distaste for Lingard?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
15th or 16th I think is achievable but if we get ‘good’ Lingard, and some of our other signings make an impact, I don’t think top 12 would be out of the question given the way Cooper plays and manages dressing rooms. I’ll enjoy the ride no matter what…23 years is a long time to wait :)

Considering the last major trophy "United" one that they would actually class as a trophy (rather than second rate trophies but to average clubs would be brilliant) was the fa cup which lingard scored the winner you think a bit more gratitude would be displayed

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Given your distaste for Lingard?
I'm beginning to think that Lingard stole some lunch money, such is 4lex's dislike for the poor lad.

Nothing us certain in football, but I think that his time with West Ham would be a much more useful predictor of his form at Forest than whatever happened at Benighted.
He worked hard, and was a lively and intelligent contributor in a decent WHU team. Having a bit of quality can make a huge difference at the bottom of the table, and he definitely has it.

D

Deleted member 15344

Lingard is a decent player , he reminds me a bit of Richarlinson- the ego is better than their ability , believes their own hype.

Lingard is certainly not the sort of player who will transform a team ,a one year deal at £180k seems madness , he is nearly 30 now , not a young kid. He had a little spell 5 years ago where he got about 8 goals in the Premiership and he lived off the back of it - he did ok at West Ham for a short spell

His social media has more substance than his football. He is the poster boy for the overrated English player

4LEX

Visit site
Aren't we equal with Chelsea on 2. I think they're the only club south of Birmingham to win it.

That is true, the 2021 win had faded already like a lot of Covid titles.

I'd settle for top 4.

4th from bottom you mean :sneaky:

Not at all, I support a Championship side. I watch England home and away and simply don't rate Lingard at that level. He brings a freakshow to town with his gormless brother and being a big fish in a small pond like Forest will probably bring the worst out in him.

Last edited:

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lingard is a decent player , he reminds me a bit of Richarlinson- the ego is better than their ability , believes their own hype.

Lingard is certainly not the sort of player who will transform a team ,a one year deal at £180k seems madness , he is nearly 30 now , not a young kid. He had a little spell 5 years ago where he got about 8 goals in the Premiership and he lived off the back of it - he did ok at West Ham for a short spell

His social media has more substance than his football. He is the poster boy for the overrated English player

Just to clarify (again), he’s not getting £180k a week. If ( big if) he meets all his performance based targets (one of which, I’m told, is to keep us up), he will get close to that equivalent.

He’s put himself in the shop window to try and secure a final long term contract with a high profile team (be it overseas or in the Prem) before he retires. We’ve facilitated this with zero risk except for the financial commitment for 12 months (which we are in the position to be able to afford)

Him being in the squad does not make us a weaker team, so I’ve got no problem with them rolling the dice. I see a lot of people talking about how average Lingard is, but can’t offer up any other talented, available alternatives?
What he does off the field is of no concern to me, if he gives 100% on it.

Our CEO and head coach have not made rash decisions with any of their transfer targets in the last window or this one. With every single transfer They’ve done their due diligence and when teams have stuck ridiculous prices on players, they’ve walked away and looked elsewhere. I can’t see any reason they wouldn’t have been as thorough with Lingard.

We were slated for spending £2m on Sam Surridge in January….written off as a failure at Bournemouth and Stoke…he did nothing but score goals and create chances and assists.

Same with bringing in Keinan Davis on loan…slated again as he was deemed a bench warmer at Villa and he terrorised opposing defences until he got injured last season.

Cooper took a team that was bottom of the table, that pundits had being relegated last September, to the Premier League in 8 months (the core of which was the exact same players). If anyone can get the best of out Lingard, Cooper is the man to do it.

If it works, we stay up and can build on that next season. If it fails, we both move on and we start again in the Championship. As I said, I’m going to enjoy every bit of the ride, as nothing is certain.

Not at all, I support a Championship side. I watch England home and away and simply don't rate Lingard at that level. He brings a freakshow to town with his gormless brother and being a big fish in a small pond like Forest will probably bring the worst out in him.
Ah, that must mean you’re a salty Huddersfield fan then ?
Championship will be an entertaining watch again this season. My friend is a Bristol City hospitality SC holder, so I tag along to games when I can (as I live in the SW now), mostly for the free food. So I’ll be keeping an eye on it. I’m glad I don’t have to suffer through EFL on Quest any more though.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are we judging players on field based on their off field Instagram posts now? I'm clearly missing a trick in my player scouting and assessment as I am not on either Instagram or Twitter, apparently another reliable sour‍ce ?‍♂️.

D

Deleted member 1740

That is true, the 2021 win had faded already like a lot of Covid titles.

4th from bottom you mean :sneaky:

Out of curiousity whose your team?

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
When did Lingard become such a national treasure that means people can’t be critical of him as a player and indeed how he acts in the public domain.
He didn’t, but the slating he’s getting seems a bit OTT. Anyone would think he’d murdered one of Richard Keys’ family, the state he’s getting himself in over it.

Man signs for a premier league club. It’s a non-story.

D

Deleted member 15344

He didn’t, but the slating he’s getting seems a bit OTT. Anyone would think he’d murdered one of Richard Keys’ family, the state he’s getting himself in over it.

Man signs for a premier league club. It’s a non-story.

Is it really OTT ?

The player himself is very much out there on social media , maybe for some too vocal - for some he acts like a world star on social media when in reality he is just a decent Prem player- what’s he calling himself - “Jlingz” - so yes people will react to him

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is it really OTT ?

The player himself is very much out there on social media , maybe for some too vocal - for some he acts like a world star on social media when in reality he is just a decent Prem player- what’s he calling himself - “Jlingz” - so yes people will react to him

If you’re asking me whether getting your knickers in a twist over a player not even linked to your club, because he refers to himself as ‘JLingz’ (which just so happens to be the name of his clothing brand, so is just self promotion) , and because he does a few TikTok’s and snapchats, then yes, I’d say that’s over reacting.

Some on social media are crying like it’s their money that’s paying his wages ?

I could understand if it was Forest fans who were upset, but these are fans from other clubs; where this business will not affect them directly in the slightest ?. I find it all very odd.

Would everyone have over reacted if he’d gone to West Ham like everyone predicted?