The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Neco Williams FINALLY announced by Forest.

I can't lie - I'm VERY excited about the way we're doing business - and it's VERY un-forest-like, so feels weird to have a management in place who know what they're doing.

Still £40m to add a few key midfielders and some depth at striker and I think we'll have a solid team to give this premier league lark a good go.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Jack Wilshire retires at 30 ?
He was obviously talented but I never really warmed to him as a player for some reason, to me he seemed to lack that drive to be a really top level player.
Interesting to hear what Arsenal fans think of him, did he have a lot of bad injuries during his career?

Injuries, a bad attitude and believed his own press far too much. At best had good days and bad days, most of the time was injured or just bad days, far too inconsistent at the top level and how he is deemed a suitable coach/mentor for the U23s I struggle to comprehend

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Does the pope :poop: in the woods??

I thought he was overrated to be honest. Tidy midfielder, bit clumsy in the tackle. Every time I was injured, Arsenal fans would big him up more like he was going to come back and be their saviour each time. Had bad luck with injuries, but was his fitness the best it could have been anyway? Heard lots of stories about him smoking and doing gear when not playing. As you say, not sure he ever quite took it seriously enough.

yeah sounds like the sort of thing a Pope would do lol

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does the pope :poop: in the woods??

I thought he was overrated to be honest. Tidy midfielder, bit clumsy in the tackle. Every time I was injured, Arsenal fans would big him up more like he was going to come back and be their saviour each time. Had bad luck with injuries, but was his fitness the best it could have been anyway? Heard lots of stories about him smoking and doing gear when not playing. As you say, not sure he ever quite took it seriously enough.

A lot of his injuries were due to his style of play , never adapted to make his body last

Always flew into tackles so easily injured there and then he had this one move of draw a player in.. nick ball away and take the challenge to get a foul. Not the best idea when your body is made of glass

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
England Ladies rampant against Norway.

Not really following this tournament, but aren’t Norway supposed to be one of the stronger teams in it? A scoreline of 8-0 in a tournament finals speaks volumes regarding the quality of the tournament itself. It’s a nonsense, sorry.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not really following this tournament, but aren’t Norway supposed to be one of the stronger teams in it? A scoreline of 8-0 in a tournament finals speaks volumes regarding the quality of the tournament itself. It’s a nonsense, sorry.

I'm enjoying it and think it's great that it's getting plenty of air time and publicity.
The art of enjoying it is to NOT compare it to mens' football ..................... especially the goal keeping.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I'm enjoying it and think it's great that it's getting plenty of air time and publicity.
The art of enjoying it is to NOT compare it to mens' football ..................... especially the goal keeping.

Goalkeeping in the women’s game has never been a particular high point, has it?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site

Yes they are (only ranked 3 places below England in the World rankings) ....and that goes to demonstrate the sheer quality of the English performance in the first half...they totally ripped Norway to shreds.....this wasn't a third rate nation they were playing against...Norway were one of the pre-tournament favourites and have a rich history as a nation in womens football and a team littered with players competing at the higher echelons of womens club football....in short, they were no mugs, but they were made to look stupid by a first half English performance that was a fine as any I've ever witnessed at any major tournament...irrespective of gender. I'd go so far as to say it eclipsed the demolition of the Netherlands at Euro '96 and Germany away in Munich in world cup qualifying.

Whilst there are still underlying issues at the heart of womens football, especially with the developing nations, it is unfair to dimsiss so liberally (as many seem to do) the game at higher levels....it is growing, and whilst sometimes that extra bit of quality might be lacking, it is refreshing to watch football played in good spirits without backchatting, feigning injury, multiple barrel rolls when a player is tripped, gross dissent, players crowding the ref yada yada yada.

Swango1980

Visit site
I wonder if German fans were dismissing the quality of the 2014 Mens World Cup when they beat Brazil 7-1?

Last night was the first game I watched through. And, in fairness to the England ladies, they played really well. Their movement was fantastic, they were composed and the quality of the crossing was great. It wasn't a scoreline based on comedic Norwegian errors that can sometimes be the case in ladies football.

So, I'd be inclined to very much praise their performance, it is well deserved.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I wonder if German fans were dismissing the quality of the 2014 Mens World Cup when they beat Brazil 7-1?

Last night was the first game I watched through. And, in fairness to the England ladies, they played really well. Their movement was fantastic, they were composed and the quality of the crossing was great. It wasn't a scoreline based on comedic Norwegian errors that can sometimes be the case in ladies football.

So, I'd be inclined to very much praise their performance, it is well deserved.

Beth Mead had an absolute field day. Great to see the ladies dominate!!

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site

Unfortunately it's this type of viewpoint which will stop the women's game growing and younger girls being encouraged to take up the sport and strive to become professional athletes (if they so wish). If more people gave it a chance (and didn't compare it to the men's game all the time) - the game would continue to grow and grow.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tell that to the media - I saw a post last night saying Ellen White has scored more tournament goals than Shearer. What a worthless comparison. That's like saying Mitrovic scored more goals than Salah. As you say, constantly trying to hold it up against the men's game isn't helpful at all.

Goalkeeping in the women’s game has never been a particular high point, has it?
I don't know if this comes across as condescending at all, but I generally cut them a bit of slack since they play in the exact same size goals, but the average height of a goalkeeper must only be 5'10 or 5'11 compared to the men's keeper average which must be up around 6'3 you'd think. Any well-struck high dipping effort is likely to give them a problem really.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tell that to the media - I saw a post last night saying Ellen White has scored more tournament goals than Shearer. What a worthless comparison. That's like saying Mitrovic scored more goals than Salah. As you say, constantly trying to hold it up against the men's game isn't helpful at all.

I don't know if this comes across as condescending at all, but I generally cut them a bit of slack since they play in the exact same size goals, but the average height of a goalkeeper must only be 5'10 or 5'11 compared to the men's keeper average which must be up around 6'3 you'd think. Any well-struck high dipping effort is likely to give them a problem really.

This is actually a really good point - and something I hadn't even considered (which is weird as I've always been a goalkeeper by trade - can't do anything with a ball at my feet :D).