The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Richarlison to Spurs is a strange one. Can’t see Kane or Son sitting out many games so where does he fit in?

When Kane gets injured?

But seriously.. I agree, weird move for him. Better club but way less playing time you'd assume - and no Trophies guaranteed! (Unlike at say City)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Richarlison to Spurs is a strange one. Can’t see Kane or Son sitting out many games so where does he fit in?
It does look like I'm going to have to get used to the idea. :( It's a lot of money for a back-up player, but I suppose I should be glad we're spending money, and will have an option as back-up for Kane. Even if that back-up option is a prick.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Spurs 100% need a backup for Kane
Wether Richarlison is the answer,who knows.
To be honest Kane is streets ahead of most strikers in the premiership.
He will obviously play cup matches to give Harry a rest.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I just think it shows a lack of ambition by the player himself. From a playing perspective why would anyone want to go from playing every week to being a bit part player? That sort of thing has the potential to cause all sorts of issues - dressing room unrest being just one.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just think it shows a lack of ambition by the player himself. From a playing perspective why would anyone want to go from playing every week to being a bit part player? That sort of thing has the potential to cause all sorts of issues - dressing room unrest being just one.
One thing about professional footballers is they mostly have massive egos. I expect that he is coming to Spurs believing he will establish himself as a first choice player and playing Champion's League football. I'm sure he'll be looking at Kulusevski's spot, but personally I think Kulu has been absolutely top class since he came in, so I do hope he doesn't lose his place.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Seriously, players are coming back from summer holidays now for pre-season and United still havent made a signing :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Swango1980

Visit site
Is it a lack of trying ?
Or are they finding top players don’t want to go there. .?
Does seem very strange when they need a few top players.
It could be simply that Manchester United are pretty inefficient when it comes to making signings. They certainly haven't proved otherwise.

However, it could also be due to the fact United have just appointed a new manager. I'm sure there was dialogue as soon as they agreed he would come to Man United, but ten Hag will have also needed to see the players that United currently have. First hand. So, although he may have had an idea of the type of players he would like, he only held his first training session earlier this week. I think it would have been way too hasty for him to agree a load of signings he wants a month or so ago, and then come into training and realise that some of current players offer him what he wants, whilst some others are less likely to be players that will work well with him.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is it a lack of trying ?
Or are they finding top players don’t want to go there. .?
Does seem very strange when they need a few top players.
This surely has to be part of it. Utd are going for top level players still but have little to offer them in comparison to the competition other than big wages. Brutal but the truth at this moment. The big players will be waiting for other clubs to come in for them and only then, if they don't, will they start to move to Utd. That means late signings most likely, never ideal.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got to admit to mixed feelings about Richarlison moving on now it's happening. I know we need the cash but the club should never have gotten into that position in the first place. Richi didn't get great results for long periods and his antics made me seeth and laugh in equal measure but we/I could never criticise him for lack of effort or passion. I wanted him gone at the start of this year but he'd won me around again by the end of the season.

Like many of my football heroes he's flawed but shows great spirit, I've just got to accept we needed him gone while he still had some value.

Absolutely cannot wait to see him and Kane on the pitch together so we get to call them both out on their antics and shousery. :D

Goodbye you crazy pigeon... ? ?

Swango1980

Visit site
This surely has to be part of it. Utd are going for top level players still but have little to offer them in comparison to the competition other than big wages. Brutal but the truth at this moment. The big players will be waiting for other clubs to come in for them and only then, if they don't, will they start to move to Utd. That means late signings most likely, never ideal.
I'm not overly convinced by that argument. What big players are we talking about? Have United approached them, and are they stalling because the player is waiting for Man City or Liverpool to pick up the phone? Teams that have pretty settled squads, and even if they were interested in a player in a particular position, it may be as part of a squad rotation role rather than an almost guaranteed starter.

The likes of Klopp and Guardiola have has all season to assess their players, and will have had a plan many many months ago as to how they'd like to freshen things up. This has allowed them to act quickly in the transfer market. United have not had that, certainly de Hag hasn't. Furthermore, Utd need more than just "freshening up" the team. As stated, they need open heart surgery. It isn't really about going out and buying the best players in the world. They need to build a functioning team first. Build the foundation, before adding the flare.

United have been rubbish for years, but still attracted big names / players with good reputations. Pogba, Zlatan, Matic, Lukaku, Bruno, Maguire, Cavani, Ronaldo, Varane, Sancho, etc. But, look were that has got them. On the most part, highly rated players sent out to play like headless chickens. And, even when Utd were at the top, they failed to attract everyone. The likes of Shearer, Gazza, Kroos, Ronaldinho, Bale, Hazard, Kluivert, etc. I've no idea how far negotiations went with all these players, and how much was fuelled by media. But, the point is, individual players will also have a wide range of reasons to want, or not want to go to a club. So, I certainly do not expect a guarantee that every single top player would wish to go to United, just like I wouldn't expect them to 100% want to go to City, Liverpool, Madrid, Barcelona, etc.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not overly convinced by that argument. What big players are we talking about? Have United approached them, and are they stalling because the player is waiting for Man City or Liverpool to pick up the phone? Teams that have pretty settled squads, and even if they were interested in a player in a particular position, it may be as part of a squad rotation role rather than an almost guaranteed starter.

The likes of Klopp and Guardiola have has all season to assess their players, and will have had a plan many many months ago as to how they'd like to freshen things up. This has allowed them to act quickly in the transfer market. United have not had that, certainly de Hag hasn't. Furthermore, Utd need more than just "freshening up" the team. As stated, they need open heart surgery. It isn't really about going out and buying the best players in the world. They need to build a functioning team first. Build the foundation, before adding the flare.

United have been rubbish for years, but still attracted big names / players with good reputations. Pogba, Zlatan, Matic, Lukaku, Bruno, Maguire, Cavani, Ronaldo, Varane, Sancho, etc. But, look were that has got them. On the most part, highly rated players sent out to play like headless chickens. And, even when Utd were at the top, they failed to attract everyone. The likes of Shearer, Gazza, Kroos, Ronaldinho, Bale, Hazard, Kluivert, etc. I've no idea how far negotiations went with all these players, and how much was fuelled by media. But, the point is, individual players will also have a wide range of reasons to want, or not want to go to a club. So, I certainly do not expect a guarantee that every single top player would wish to go to United, just like I wouldn't expect them to 100% want to go to City, Liverpool, Madrid, Barcelona, etc.
You can't tell me that Ten Haag was sat around at Ajax not looking at the Utd team, deficiencies, who they need etc. He would have had his list of required players before signing his contract, knowing that he could not get them all of course. Utd would have known who to go for in the same way that City, Chelsea, Liverpool etc would have. Blimey, even Spurs have done advanced buying and they normally go last minute with Levy.

The obvious big name, if you want a name, is the Dutch lad at Barcelona, de Jong. Could he be any more unenthusiastic? The rest could well be paper talk but it seems pretty clear he is your key target.

Lack of CL is key to this. Big players practically want a guarantee of it and Utd can offer no such thing any more.

Swango1980

Visit site
You can't tell me that Ten Haag was sat around at Ajax not looking at the Utd team, deficiencies, who they need etc. He would have had his list of required players before signing his contract, knowing that he could not get them all of course. Utd would have known who to go for in the same way that City, Chelsea, Liverpool etc would have. Blimey, even Spurs have done advanced buying and they normally go last minute with Levy.

The obvious big name, if you want a name, is the Dutch lad at Barcelona, de Jong. Could he be any more unenthusiastic? The rest could well be paper talk but it seems pretty clear he is your key target.

Lack of CL is key to this. Big players practically want a guarantee of it and Utd can offer no such thing any more.
I won't tell you that. I've no doubt ten Hag was looking ahead as best he can. Playing fantasy football manager just like the rest of us. It is no doubt why he has at least been able to identify an early target like de Jong, and therefore United have been pursuing him. Again, that doesn't mean that it automatically is a done deal. The player will have his own views on how and where he wants to live his life, and there are plenty of negotiations to be done with him and Barcelona.

What I am saying is that ten Hag wasn't going to have an absolute firm idea of who he wants to get rid off, and thus a complete list of players to replace them. It would be atrocious management if he did that before even seeing the players first hand that are still at the club. Whereas the other clubs I have mentioned have watched their players day in, day out, and know exactly where they need to freshen up the squad.

Personally, I'm feeling a lot more patient this year. I won't be crying out for all these big name signings, because that has got us nowhere in the last decade. I want to see what ten Hag does with the players he has, and I'll of course be enthusiastic about any players he does bring in. Hoping it was done because he had an absolute belief they are the type of player he needs, and not what some marketing guy higher up thought was a great idea. I'll be more interested what happens next summer (and even in the winter), once ten Hag has had a prolonged period and working with the players.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I won't tell you that. I've no doubt ten Hag was looking ahead as best he can. Playing fantasy football manager just like the rest of us. It is no doubt why he has at least been able to identify an early target like de Jong, and therefore United have been pursuing him. Again, that doesn't mean that it automatically is a done deal. The player will have his own views on how and where he wants to live his life, and there are plenty of negotiations to be done with him and Barcelona.

What I am saying is that ten Hag wasn't going to have an absolute firm idea of who he wants to get rid off, and thus a complete list of players to replace them. It would be atrocious management if he did that before even seeing the players first hand that are still at the club. Whereas the other clubs I have mentioned have watched their players day in, day out, and know exactly where they need to freshen up the squad.

Personally, I'm feeling a lot more patient this year. I won't be crying out for all these big name signings, because that has got us nowhere in the last decade. I want to see what ten Hag does with the players he has, and I'll of course be enthusiastic about any players he does bring in. Hoping it was done because he had an absolute belief they are the type of player he needs, and not what some marketing guy higher up thought was a great idea. I'll be more interested what happens next summer (and even in the winter), once ten Hag has had a prolonged period and working with the players.
Yes I think your right.
But a good CM is a start of a spine of a team .
Keepers good.
CBS just lack confidence in what is in front of them imo, a good CM will settle that.
You need a good striker as well.
TH will need to earn his money.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I am holding on to the notion that one or two players will be like new signings anyway under the new manager. Van de Beek is a classic case in point. He struck me from day one as a far better pkayer than we have seen at United so far, and I remain hopeful that the arrival of the new manager will see him with a new lease of life. Same goes for Sancho.

Some of the serious deadwood and one or two (alleged) malcontents have at last been moved on. Add a sprinkling of new signings, if they can get some of the names mentioned across the line, and I’m hopeful that, at last, United can start on an upward trajectory.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am holding on to the notion that one or two players will be like new signings anyway under the new manager. Van de Beek is a classic case in point. He struck me from day one as a far better pkayer than we have seen at United so far, and I remain hopeful that the arrival of the new manager will see him with a new lease of life. Same goes for Sancho.

Some of the serious deadwood and one or two (alleged) malcontents have at last been moved on. Add a sprinkling of new signings, if they can get some of the names mentioned across the line, and I’m hopeful that, at last, United can start on an upward trajectory.
I promise you VDB will never be good enough.
He’s seriously slow and unfit,or he was last year.