The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am allowed to laugh at this aren't I? The concept of all powerful Man Utd no longer being 'the UTD'. It is an additional twist of the knife, very funny :ROFLMAO:

they never have been the "united" its only a very arrogant view that they are the only united that matters

not even the first ones (sheffield)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rumours that Harry Winks is talking to Everton. What do Spurs fans think of him?
I like Winksy but he was never going to hold down a first team place at our level. Good passer but a bit too conservative i.e. sideways. A couple of times a season he'll have an absolute worldy game and control the play, and you'll wonder why he doesn't play like that all the time. He should have been born Spanish, every Spanish team has two of him.

Swango1980

Visit site
they never have been the "united" its only a very arrogant view that they are the only united that matters

I'm sorry it sounds arrogant, but it is also a fact that Manchester United are the biggest "United" football club in the world. Certainly in terms of support, and a global brand football club. So, if "United" is mentioned then pretty much everyone knows what football club we are talking about. Even people that joke "who, Sheffield United, Newcastle United" as a response, are only doing so because they knew exactly what the United in the subject was Manchester United.

I'm not sure about the comment "the only United that matters", in terms of what you mean? To many fans, you could argue that their club is the only one that matters, and perhaps their biggest rivals. As a Man Utd fan, I couldn't really care less about Sutton United, they might as well not exist to me. That is not me saying they shouldn't, as they will have many loyal passionate fans who love their club just like other fans love their own clubs. But, it is all about context. If the back page of a national paper said "Ugly United" or "United Score 4", then I automatically assume it is about Manchester United. If the same headlines were made in the local Sutton rag, then I might assume it is Sutton United they are talking about.

At any rate, it is not just United. I'm pretty sure if "City" is used, people now generally expect the subject to be Manchester City due to their sustained success over the last decade.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
If only we had a world cup rather than an awful ruin the world's seasons to play in winter

If the reason for the results in the Nations League matches were, as claimed, due to player fatigue, I am pretty relieved that it is not the actual World Cup as we would be on the plane home at the first opportunity.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If the reason for the results in the Nations League matches were, as claimed, due to player fatigue, I am pretty relieved that it is not the actual World Cup as we would be on the plane home at the first opportunity.
I think mentally, the players would be in a better place had the WC been now. They knew the Nations League was meaningless so could not get up for it.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

As I am a known supporter of Manchester United, I would have thought that you could have worked it out.
I didn't realise you needed a bit of help, so here it is;

When I refer to United I am referring to Manchester United.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think mentally, the players would be in a better place had the WC been now. They knew the Nations League was meaningless so could not get up for it.
Just shows the stupidity of the players of the players if they couldn't motivate themselves for a final push to get noticed and get themselves a seat on the plane to the World Cup. I would have thought that the fringe players (and some others) should have been busting a gut to show Gareth that they are England quality and can transfer club form to the international scene.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As I am a known supporter of Manchester United, I would have thought that you could have worked it out.
I didn't realise you needed a bit of help, so here it is;

When I refer to United I am referring to Manchester United.

But with respect to all clubs please refer to them as their correct name

Manure

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Taking the MONEY and don’t give a sh.t about players or fans.
A player could die there .
Don't they reckon temps in Nov / Dec will be around 25°C? Nothing compared to World Cups played in June / July in Mexico, Spain, Italy, US etc. I'm not defending giving it to Qatar but moving the date to November / December does sort out the heat issues.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't they reckon temps in Nov / Dec will be around 25°C? Nothing compared to World Cups played in June / July in Mexico, Spain, Italy, US etc. I'm not defending giving it to Qatar but moving the date to November / December does sort out the heat issues.

Does beg the question now as to why you could not have a world cup in Europe in the Winter, see how some of the teams from warmer climates perform in rain, sleet and snow and 50 mph winds:D:D:D:D

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Does beg the question now as to why you could not have a world cup in Europe in the Winter, see how some of the teams from warmer climates perform in rain, sleet and snow and 50 mph winds:D:D:D:D

Can Brazil do it in the cold wind and rain in Stoke on a December Tuesday night?

I dont think so...... :ROFLMAO:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it might genuinely be interesting in a few ways. Players wont be exhausted from playing a full season. In fact, they should be at full fitness then. The temps will be modest so we should not get walking football. It will certainly suit northern European countries far more.

Who knows, it may become a more regular thing. I'm sure FIFA will be running a study group to see how it goes.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think it might genuinely be interesting in a few ways. Players wont be exhausted from playing a full season. In fact, they should be at full fitness then. The temps will be modest so we should not get walking football. It will certainly suit northern European countries far more.

Who knows, it may become a more regular thing. I'm sure FIFA will be running a study group to see how it goes.

You think? Most players arent going to have had half an off season let alone proper rest this summer, premier league games then starting earlier and only a week meet up before the world cup starts for real. Going to be plenty of players on empty before it starts let alone come May and the end of the domestic seasons

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You think? Most players arent going to have had half an off season let alone proper rest this summer, premier league games then starting earlier and only a week meet up before the world cup starts for real. Going to be plenty of players on empty before it starts let alone come May and the end of the domestic seasons
If the players are not having an off season then that is down to the ridiculous Nations League and around the world for money pre season tours. I agree, they will be goosed by next May but mid November they should be flying.