The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't agree that we can assume that. Plenty of talented players have disappeared from the modern game because they didn't have the work ethic. I agree more with your first point that it's impossible to say whether someone like Best would have knuckled down to today's standards, or whether he'd have dropped out. In modern day football he could have been a Messi or he could have been an Adel Taarabt. :p

A fair point but then again, even taking Gazza as an example, things have changed since even the 1990s. You have to assume that Best would have been noticed as a very young kid, would have been working in or with a big team accademy before he was even a teenager and would have had every aspect of his life managed before any bad habbits even had the chance to set in.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A fair point but then again, even taking Gazza as an example, things have changed since even the 1990s. You have to assume that Best would have been noticed as a very young kid, would have been working in or with a big team accademy before he was even a teenager and would have had every aspect of his life managed before any bad habbits even had the chance to set in.
Are you saying that the modern players are so well coached that they don't have any bad habits? No sneaking women back into team hotels, getting drunk, inhaling hippy crack and whatever else the young pros get up to nowadays?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are you saying that the modern players are so well coached that they don't have any bad habits? No sneaking women back into team hotels, getting drunk, inhaling hippy crack and whatever else the young pros get up to nowadays?

Not all but i am saying that there are systems in place to try and reduce the occurances of such things as well as mental health professionals to help with issues. I would add that many of these things that are seriously frowned upong now were actively encouraged as part of the celebrity lifestyle in the 60s and 70s. Not saying that Best etc would not have isssues now but they would not be seen as part of the norm as they were in previous generations, even as recently as the 90s.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
An honest question, with the problems he had do you think he would genuinely get brought through the system these days? I mean he had a hell of a lot of demons going on which would still exist was he a modern player.

With the right manager, absolutely.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
He would at least be able to teach someone else to actually run beyond him when he drops deep. That's what Dele was doing back when he was actually good, and later on he developed Son to play that way to good effect.
A genuine question, why does Kane need to drop deep when Southgate plays with three at the back or even four, there’s enough in front without Kane dropping for it.When I have seen Kane drop for the ball it’s because midfield is not producing and again that’s down to a system under Gareth that’s not working.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Yeah, I think it comes down to coaching. As a former centre back and a 'pragmatic' shall we say manager, it seems like Southgate just spends most of his coaching time on defending. Other than Sterling who does it occasionally, I don't think the other attackers get close enough to Kane. Having said that, Grealish usually seems to link up well with Kane but they rarely get enough minutes together.

That is basically the system Conte uses, but for him wing backs are attackers first and defenders second, whereas for Southgate I think it's the other way around, which drastically alters how the formation plays. I don't even think Chilwell is an ideal LWB as I see him more of a back four left back. Saka may even be the best starting option there you know. Similar to Spurs when we started picking Sessegnon over Reguilon. With proper wing backs you can get the ball forward more directly and Kane doesn't need to bugger off looking for it quite as much.

you could swop Southgates name for Stuart Pearce. When he was manager of Man City it is was Rammel on a level I had never seen. It was as if we don’t lose it’s a victory. It was a season of the lowest ever goals at City and some of the worst football I had ever seen. Southgate and Pearce are two peas in a pod.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Always wondered what would've happened if Gascoigne had gone to Man Utd and had Ferguson as his manager when he left Newcastle rather than going to Spurs. Obviously there's no way of knowing but things could've been so different.
I'm not sure that would have been a long relationship. Gazza went to multiple clubs and was the same all over. I doubt Walter Smith was a pushover but Ally Mccoist can talk all night with Gazza stories from his time then.

4LEX

Visit site
Not a Southgate fan but not sure you can read too much into the recent results. At the end of a long and gruelling season having 4 games in 10 days or whatever was madness. Grealish had spent a week on the piss before the squad met up, which says it all.

He should be replaced with Poch if it was possible but the FA will give him until the World Cup regardless. Hopefully Poch takes a break and sits tight until November/December and he can get the pick of the jobs be it England, Man Utd, Arsenal or even the likes of Juve and Bayern.

I would get rid of Saka from the line up, he's just a try hard with limited quality. The worry is Southgate is picking players on personality rather than actual quality at this point.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not a Southgate fan but not sure you can read too much into the recent results. At the end of a long and gruelling season having 4 games in 10 days or whatever was madness. Grealish had spent a week on the piss before the squad met up, which says it all.

He should be replaced with Poch if it was possible but the FA will give him until the World Cup regardless. Hopefully Poch takes a break and sits tight until November/December and he can get the pick of the jobs be it England, Man Utd, Arsenal or even the likes of Juve and Bayern.

I would get rid of Saka from the line up, he's just a try hard with limited quality. The worry is Southgate is picking players on personality rather than actual quality at this point.

I was with you until saka. The boy is class. Been carrying arsenal