The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
hes a miss for sure but they still score goals, they score enough if the defense wasnt shipping them for fun. In 20 prem games scored 34 conceded 37, scored more than Arsenal Tottenham Wolves and Brighton who are all above them

Think the commentary team had it spot on and Leicester are one of the worse sides at set pieces. Sides know this now and so look to capitalise

D

Deleted member 15344

had huge injury probs at the back, lost Fofana for the season so far, Justin only just back, Evans injured again, get anywhere close to their first choice defense fit regularly theyll be fine, longer term think they need 1 or 2 more going forward, the worry for them is they may lose Tielemans and 1 or 2 others in the summer

Tielemans will have to be sold unless they want to lose him on a free - only have 18 months left , Maddison may finally get a big club calling and i will be amazed if a club isn’t looking at Ndini

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Was just sat musing over a couple of posts yesterday that were about the ‘good old days.’ When I first played the formation was 5-3-2, the 5 being up front and the centre back playing just in front of the 2 fullbacks. It was very much attack minded. Players are so fit now it doesn’t matter if there’s only 2 up front as they are supported very quickly.

But here’s a thought to open up the games more. Completely drop the offside rule. Imagine the room to play in if players were strung out almost the length of the pitch. I’d also like to see a timekeeper like they have in rugby, hopefully making time wasting pointless. I dare say there’s a few rules that could be dropped.

Swango1980

Visit site
Was just sat musing over a couple of posts yesterday that were about the ‘good old days.’ When I first played the formation was 5-3-2, the 5 being up front and the centre back playing just in front of the 2 fullbacks. It was very much attack minded. Players are so fit now it doesn’t matter if there’s only 2 up front as they are supported very quickly.

But here’s a thought to open up the games more. Completely drop the offside rule. Imagine the room to play in if players were strung out almost the length of the pitch. I’d also like to see a timekeeper like they have in rugby, hopefully making time wasting pointless. I dare say there’s a few rules that could be dropped.

Marco Van Basten agrees, as discussed:

https://www.skysports.com/football/...-and-the-hockey-precedent-that-might-surprise

I had to play hockey at school, and they abolished the offside rule at some point during that time (1990's). That is also discussed in the article. It would be a radicle change, but I wouldn't be against trialing it in football.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Absolutely brilliant weekend of FA cup football.

Tuned in to at least 4 games - all on free to air TV which is class and brilliant for the households without pay to view access.

Some absolute FA cup classics in there, the magic of the FA cup lives on

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Marco Van Basten agrees, as discussed:

https://www.skysports.com/football/...-and-the-hockey-precedent-that-might-surprise

I had to play hockey at school, and they abolished the offside rule at some point during that time (1990's). That is also discussed in the article. It would be a radicle change, but I wouldn't be against trialing it in football.
I think that would be completely insane. Each team would have a 'goalhanger' who stays up the far end, so defending teams would have to leave someone back with him, which means the entire game would become stretched and your midfielders would need about four lungs each to cover the ground. Teams would have to start playing 2-3-2-2-1 formations and all sorts. I'm not sure hockey is a great comparison - I only played hockey for a couple of years back at school, but I would think it's a lot more difficult to launch an accurate pitch-length pass to a forward with a hockey stick than it is kicking a football.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Absolutely brilliant weekend of FA cup football.

Tuned in to at least 4 games - all on free to air TV which is class and brilliant for the households without pay to view access.

Some absolute FA cup classics in there, the magic of the FA cup lives on
Nobody mentioned it but Spurs actually played well for once! Up against a decent Brighton side, I think their lack of a proper striker once again cost them though. We actually moved the ball well and looked up for it for a change. And the two new players coming off the bench were pretty impressive. Romero was back and looked absolutely top drawer.

Funny bit of deja vu as Royal scored a deflected cross - I seem to recall Aurier scored his first Spurs goal with a mishit cross against Brighton a few years back.

Swango1980

Visit site
I think that would be completely insane. Each team would have a 'goalhanger' who stays up the far end, so defending teams would have to leave someone back with him, which means the entire game would become stretched and your midfielders would need about four lungs each to cover the ground. Teams would have to start playing 2-3-2-2-1 formations and all sorts. I'm not sure hockey is a great comparison - I only played hockey for a couple of years back at school, but I would think it's a lot more difficult to launch an accurate pitch-length pass to a forward with a hockey stick than it is kicking a football.
That was the whole point it was changed. And, for people involved in hockey, it seems it has worked. Games have become more exciting. I've not played hockey for years, not did I at a high level. However, I'm sure hockey players find it quite easy to launch a pitch length pass up front. Conversely, football players often struggle to play a cross with any accuracy (or a 5 yard pass if you care called Fred), so I'm sure hockey isn't an overly terrible sport to use as an example.