The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Whoa, easy tiger! Methinks you’re too angry.

Utd were by far the better team but football isn’t a game of perfect. They were beaten, get over it.

I was over the defeat as soon as the last penalty went sailing into the Stretford End! I’m angry about the goal, because of the way it was allowed to stand under the current rules.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Was the previous ruling ok? As going back to last March, when the Fulham goal was ruled out, people on here called that ruling ridiculous.?‍♂️

For me if the previous ruling was felt wrong to instigate a new “ ruling “. It is a classic example of two wrongs not making a right.

Not sure who said it earlier in this footie thread, but it hit the nail on the head. Officials are not making decisions because VAR can bale them out. But and this is a massive but. This weekend VAR has not been used at some FA cup games. Officials have had to make decisions. So how can they change there thought mentality from week to week just because they do or do not have VAR.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For me if the previous ruling was felt wrong to instigate a new “ ruling “. It is a classic example of two wrongs not making a right.

Not sure who said it earlier in this footie thread, but it hit the nail on the head. Officials are not making decisions because VAR can bale them out. But and this is a massive but. This weekend VAR has not been used at some FA cup games. Officials have had to make decisions. So how can they change there thought mentality from week to week just because they do or do not have VAR.

the same way they do when they ref a championship game having reffed in the prem the previous week?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
the same way they do when they ref a championship game having reffed in the prem the previous week?

? that’s my point. Let the Officials do there job and if VAR needs to intervene then so be it. But to not raise a flag or to not make a decision because someone at Stockley May make a decision ( and get it wrong). Well it just seems wrong.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I think we’re going to have to draw a line under this as we’re never going to agree, but I am confused by the paragraph highlighted in bold.

At the point of crossing the ball he is in control of it. I agree. But you also say that, whilst not controlling the ball with his arm, a consequence of the ball striking his arm is that his next touch is the cross.

If he is in control of the ball immediately after it strikes his arm to the extent he can cross it, how was it brought under control if not by his arm? What am I missing? Are you suggesting that Watmore controlled the ball accidentally with his arm, rather than deliberately, and that this should be allowed?

Where the ball goes after it hits his arm is by chance, not by control. He doesn’t direct the ball with his arm. Where it ends up means he can make a (controlled) pass. At the point of making the pass he has control, not before.

I’m not disputing the rule is unfair. It’s blatantly unfair. But that is the rule that was applied by the ref and supported by VAR. In that respect, however unfair it might be, the goal is good. Aggrieved? Hell, I would be mightily aggrieved by the unfairness of it but I’d accept it as it is within the rules.

Billysboots

Visit site
? that’s my point. Let the Officials do there job and if VAR needs to intervene then so be it. But to not raise a flag or to not make a decision because someone at Stockley May make a decision ( and get it wrong). Well it just seems wrong.

I do hanker after the old days. I know there used to be a good dose of controversy and slagging off of referees, but I’m sure things were never as complicated as they are now. Every week, either here or on MOTD, more time is spent picking apart refereeing decisions, or the absence of them, than the actual football itself.

Billysboots

Visit site
Where the ball goes after it hits his arm is by chance, not by control. He doesn’t direct the ball with his arm. Where it ends up means he can make a (controlled) pass. At the point of making the pass he has control, not before.

I’m not disputing the rule is unfair. It’s blatantly unfair. But that is the rule that was applied by the ref and supported by VAR. In that respect, however unfair it might be, the goal is good. Aggrieved? Hell, I would be mightily aggrieved by the unfairness of it but I’d accept it as it is within the rules.

I accept it was within the rules, have done from the outset. But the rule is an utter nonsense, and were it not for the fact that the rule is a nonsense we would never be having this discussion!

Time for me to move on, Brian - have a great evening.

D

Deleted member 16999

But by the current appalling rule it was a perfectly good goal, regardless of VAR checking or not, just like the Fulham goal was rightly over turned because they correctly applied the law at the time.

It’s not the Officials asking for change or moaning about the laws it’s the managers/players/fans and the media.

The Officials are then left between a rock and a hard place and called all sorts when they do their job.

RichA

Visit site
90 minutes of poo
From the boys in blue
Just one goal
And that was daft

Forest truly deserved that win and score-line, it hurts me to say.
At least we're keeping east mids pride alive for a few more weeks. Leicester are so much better than this afternoon's effort. I'd hate to see Rogers punished for the current slump and I don't think he will be - he's a good manager.

I don't normally comment on this rather Prem League-centric thread, but noticed quite a few referee-led conversations lately. I thought Paul Tierney was outstanding this afternoon. The game flowed, he facilitated the football and every time the camera was on him he looked like he was genuinely enjoying himself.

D

Deleted member 15344

At least we're keeping east mids pride alive for a few more weeks. Leicester are so much better than this afternoon's effort. I'd hate to see Rogers punished for the current slump and I don't think he will be - he's a good manager.

I don't normally comment on this rather Prem League-centric thread, but noticed quite a few referee-led conversations lately. I thought Paul Tierney was outstanding this afternoon. The game flowed, he facilitated the football and every time the camera was on him he looked like he was genuinely enjoying himself.

I think this coming summer is a big one for Rodgers - the Leicester team prob needs a bit of refresh some players coming towards the end and some others will look to leave - So he may potentially have a choice between doing that or moving on to another club - Man Utd will be looking for a manager and maybe Arsenal depending on how they finish

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I do hanker after the old days. I know there used to be a good dose of controversy and slagging off of referees, but I’m sure things were never as complicated as they are now. Every week, either here or on MOTD, more time is spent picking apart refereeing decisions, or the absence of them, than the actual football itself.

As do I. VAR was an opportunity to sort out a lot of issues with the game as it is. Instead it has been so criminally misused it has created more problems and failed to solve the existing ones. It reminds me of a Billy Connolly gag that I'd be sanctioned for repeating.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Thought he refereed it well. Leicester were poor and their PL form in inconsistent so there is work to be done. I think Leicester is one club where Rodgers will get time to sell and buy

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think this coming summer is a big one for Rodgers - the Leicester team prob needs a bit of refresh some players coming towards the end and some others will look to leave - So he may potentially have a choice between doing that or moving on to another club - Man Utd will be looking for a manager and maybe Arsenal depending on how they finish

had huge injury probs at the back, lost Fofana for the season so far, Justin only just back, Evans injured again, get anywhere close to their first choice defense fit regularly theyll be fine, longer term think they need 1 or 2 more going forward, the worry for them is they may lose Tielemans and 1 or 2 others in the summer

Billysboots

Visit site
had huge injury probs at the back, lost Fofana for the season so far, Justin only just back, Evans injured again, get anywhere close to their first choice defense fit regularly theyll be fine, longer term think they need 1 or 2 more going forward, the worry for them is they may lose Tielemans and 1 or 2 others in the summer

And they have become too reliant on Vardy, a player surely on the wane if he loses that extra yard of pace.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
And they have become too reliant on Vardy, a player surely on the wane if he loses that extra yard of pace.

hes a miss for sure but they still score goals, they score enough if the defense wasnt shipping them for fun. In 20 prem games scored 34 conceded 37, scored more than Arsenal Tottenham Wolves and Brighton who are all above them