The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
However we still managed to hump you lot at home a couple of months ago ?? ?
My brother lives down south and goes to a lot of the Rotherham games down there, you’ve probably seen him at the games, looks a bit of a daft lad ?
Games from the Championship don't count - we never do too well in the higher division!!!

D

Deleted member 15344

James or TAA for England?

Depends on what formation he is playing , who the CB’s are and the opposition

Both are superb players with different levels of skills

James appears better suited to a wingback role , TAA as a right back playing alongside quick CB’s

Chelsea prob wouldn’t swap James for TAA and vice versa for Liverpool fans

Seeing how Southgate plays it will be James

But imo if both were sold - TAA would go for more and to someone like Madrid/Barcelona etc

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

James appears better suited to a wingback role , TAA as a right back playing alongside quick CB’s

But imo if both were sold - TAA would go for more and to someone like Madrid/Barcelona etc

England dont have the same CB talent as Liverpool. TAA is absolute class but not the defender for England imo.

James for England for me.

Swango1980

Visit site

Both have superb attributes. But, the more I see James, it just looks like he has pretty much everything. He looks like a very solid defender, maybe a great defender, but he is now showing great attacking depth. Maybe the world needs another season or 2 to see how he develops, but if he continues as he is then I see no reason why he wouldn't command a higher transfer fee than TAA by the time he is 23 (TAA's age now)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The James/TAA argument ties in very much with the OGS and United thread. Both James and TAA have benefitted from managers that see a player and know his correct position and plays them there and allows them to develop their understanding of the requirements of the role and then grow and add other aspects like James and his greater attacking depth. How many players under OGS or indeed the previous incumbents managed to do that? I think by and large Southgate at England has done the same and knows where players operate best and so tries to use them in the correct position

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
James or TAA for England?

Southgate did an interview recently and basically said his RB would be a defender first and foremost and an attacking RB second,that’s basically counts TAA out because he can’t defend.
Best crosser of a ball since Beckham but that’s not enough in today’s football.
Same scenario for AWB but the other way around and atm not depending well so will probably never play for England.
It may well be the opposition that decides between TAA and James and Walker but for TAA to start the opposition will have to be weak.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Southgate did an interview recently and basically said his RB would be a defender first and foremost and an attacking RB second,that’s basically counts TAA out because he can’t defend.
Same scenario for AWB but the other way around and atm not depending well so will probably never play for England.
It may well be the opposition that decides between TAA and James and Walker but for TAA to start the opposition will have to be weak.

There is so much nonsense in this post. He’s an integral part in a team that’s won a league and European cup. Is that not enough in todays football? ?

And don’t get me started on your last sentence ?‍♂️

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Tivolis was a place of legends, bit of a dump though!!! Not sure if it is still there as Millmoor isn't the home of the Millers anymore - left in 2008 due to financial problems and went to Don Valley Stadium in Sheffield for 4/5 years. Soulless athletics stadium with a rubbish picth but now back home in Rotherham with a great stadium that is hosting some of the Women's Euros next year and has also hosted England u21s, etc

I remember tivolis well. Missis T got chatted up by a fat bald bloke. I had tears rolling down me cheeks. She told me to get lost using stronger words. ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
There is so much nonsense in this post. He’s an integral part in a team that’s won a league and European cup. Is that not enough in todays football? ?

And don’t get me started on your last sentence ?‍♂️
Unfortunately the golden waistcoats one prefers defenders more than attacking players. It seems that attacking defenders, well SouthGate has never heard of them. And that is to TAA and Englands loss.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unfortunately the golden waistcoats one prefers defenders more than attacking players. It seems that attacking defenders, well SouthGate has never heard of them. And that is to TAA and Englands loss.

Yeah you’re right, but that’s England, and the less he plays for them the better imo

But, to say he can’t defend, or what he offers isn’t enough and that he can only play against weak opposition is ludicrous really.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah you’re right, but that’s England, and the less he plays for them the better imo

But, to say he can’t defend, or what he offers isn’t enough and that he can only play against weak opposition is ludicrous really.

I was on about England
What he does for Liverpool is what Klopp asks him to do and he does it very well,but he’s not a good defender imo.
Southgate wants a defender first so his England appearances,if he gets picked will be against weaker opposition.
He offers enough for Liverpool but not for England.
Disagree all you want,but Southgate agrees with me and Klopp doesn’t.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

I’m no lover of Southgate, and certainly didn’t enjoy his brand of football at Middlesbrough, but if his system isn’t a fit for TAA… sounds sensible not to pick him.

The national team can’t put 11 players on the pitch that are as good as Liverpool or City, who have the benefit of picking top players from several countries, hence what we see including the tactics. It might not be pretty but it’s proven to be effective.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site