The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Everton 3, apologies to older fans but I never saw the 60's team and I'm not going to choose based on reputation, no matter how well earned. Thank you Kendall, Ball and Harvey but not this time.

1. Neville Southall, one of the finest keepers ever to grace the top league in this country.
2. Paul Bracewell. Criminally ignored by England for much of his career, he was central to the great team of the 80's and alongside Peter Reid they created a heck of a central midfield. I could have gone for either but Bracewell just pinches it.
3. Kevin Ratcliffe. Captain and centre half, he held the team together, cracking all round player.

Apologies to Trevor Steven if you are reading this, you would be next up.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If we lived in some strange universe in which fans could resurrect 3 of their ex Premiership retired players to join their current team, in their prime, who would it be? (Yeah, been bored tonight as my interest in EFL Cup disappeared when we got knocked out)

As a Utd fan, my choices surprised even me, and no doubt I'd change my mind hourly.

1. Roy Keane: This was actually the easiest decision I've ever made in my life. No explanation required.
2. Jaap Stam: Ok, got Maguire and Varane, but need an absolute rock at the back. A leader along with Keano in front.
3. Gary Neville: Holy cow, I am mental. However, good football brain, hard worker, vocal and Mr Reliable. Much stronger than Wan Bissaka

My favourite player of all time is Scholes, and I'd have him ahead of Bruno. But, given we have Bruno, felt it would be a wasted choice. Could have picked from a plethora of attacking players, but again felt it was the wrong area to strengthen. I guess Schmeichel instead of Neville would be an option, just to get another massive leader in the team, tho him and Keano might come to blows (after they both deal with Pogba first)

Pretty sure I can guess who the Number 1's would be for Liverpool, Arsenal, Southampton and Newcastle fans.
1. Ledley King - assuming he's fit in this scenario! Just an unbelievable defender. He could read the game like a Jedi, always in the right place before anything happened. Lord knows we could use a top centre back like him now.
2. Prime Bale - first time we had him. Bit of a no-brainer, he was absolutely unstoppable in the last two seasons with us. Even last season he bagged so many goals considering he didn't get as many minutes as we would have liked.
3. Mousa Dembele - completely irreplaceable. One of the most unique footballers I've ever seen, and maybe my all time favourite player. I've never seen someone so strong and dominant in a midfield battle but also so outrageously good at dribbling. You just don't get players like him, he was like two players rolled into one. One of the best midfielders ever to grace the Premier League.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If we lived in some strange universe in which fans could resurrect 3 of their ex Premiership retired players to join their current team, in their prime, who would it be? (Yeah, been bored tonight as my interest in EFL Cup disappeared when we got knocked out)

As a Utd fan, my choices surprised even me, and no doubt I'd change my mind hourly.

1. Roy Keane: This was actually the easiest decision I've ever made in my life. No explanation required.
2. Jaap Stam: Ok, got Maguire and Varane, but need an absolute rock at the back. A leader along with Keano in front.
3. Gary Neville: Holy cow, I am mental. However, good football brain, hard worker, vocal and Mr Reliable. Much stronger than Wan Bissaka

My favourite player of all time is Scholes, and I'd have him ahead of Bruno. But, given we have Bruno, felt it would be a wasted choice. Could have picked from a plethora of attacking players, but again felt it was the wrong area to strengthen. I guess Schmeichel instead of Neville would be an option, just to get another massive leader in the team, tho him and Keano might come to blows (after they both deal with Pogba first)

Pretty sure I can guess who the Number 1's would be for Liverpool, Arsenal, Southampton and Newcastle fans.

Rio Ferdinand

Scott Parker

J Cole (before his injuries)

I think they would fit the Moyes way for one and I only went from players of my era

Parker always gave 100% .. him and rice would be unstoppable

Cole before his injuries would fit anywhere accross a front 3 just like Antonio , Bowen etc

Ferdinand would slot in lovely with zouma

D

Deleted member 16999

The Everton 3, apologies to older fans but I never saw the 60's team and I'm not going to choose based on reputation, no matter how well earned. Thank you Kendall, Ball and Harvey but not this time.

1. Neville Southall, one of the finest keepers ever to grace the top league in this country.
2. Paul Bracewell. Criminally ignored by England for much of his career, he was central to the great team of the 80's and alongside Peter Reid they created a heck of a central midfield. I could have gone for either but Bracewell just pinches it.
3. Kevin Ratcliffe. Captain and centre half, he held the team together, cracking all round player.

I’d join you at No1 with Big Nev, has to of been one of the World’s greatest at his peak, unbelievable keeper.

No2. Gazza, Wasn’t with us very long but what a footballer.

No3. Samuel Eto’o, another who didn’t stay long, but to have had him in his prime would of been something special.

Other mentions, Lineker, Ginola and Duncan McKenzie,

D

Deleted member 16999

Even worse when you think of the players we’ve had outside of their prime, some of these 11 you forget even played for us:

Nigel Martyn

Richard Gough
David Weir
Kenny Sansom
Slaven Bilic

Peter Beardsley
Mikel Arteta
David Ginola
Paul Gascoigne

Mark Hughes
Andrei Kanchelskis

D

Deleted member 15344

Just 3 ? blimey that’s tough

I’ll cheat and go three from Prem Era and three from before football was invented ?

Prem Era

Suarez
Gerrard
Alonso

Suarez up front with Mo , Manny and Bobby would just score for fun

Even more so with Gerrard and Alonso behind pulling the strings - honourable mentions for God and Hyypia

Pre Era

Kenny playing in the Bobby Role would double the amount of chances for Mo

Barnes - doesn’t need explaining ?

Hansen - Rolls Royce of a defender

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

As it’s only ex-premiership players most of my favourites are out. No Billy Bonds, Trevor Brooking or Alan Devonshire.

However in a dream where David Moyes could somehow get them playing in his current team and putting in the required effort I would have:

1) Paolo Di Canio, the guy was fantastic, he had such vision and awareness he would be trying stuff that was on a different wavelength to the rest of the team.
2) Dimitri Payet, only played for us for a season and a half but when he was in his pomp he was the most exciting player I had ever seen at West Ham.
3) Rio Ferdinand, a brilliant modern defender, great tackler and superb at distributing the ball.

To be honest though Moyes has got such a great “team” at the moment maybe a Billy Big Balls type player would not fit into the group. (Although Jesse did ok last term)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Even worse when you think of the players we’ve had outside of their prime, some of these 11 you forget even played for us:

Nigel Martyn

Richard Gough
David Weir
Kenny Sansom
Slaven Bilic

Peter Beardsley
Mikel Arteta
David Ginola
Paul Gascoigne

Mark Hughes
Andrei Kanchelskis
A great team. Sadly most, not all, came to us well past their prime. I wouldn't mind that team at their peak though.

Apologies, to the originator of this bit of fun, I didn't pick up on the ex-Premiership players aspect.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dalgleish my favour player.
Hansen best defender I ever watched . On a par with VVD imo.
Rush clinical finisher and first line of defence.

There are so many it’s really tough.
We havnt had many good ones since we have been in the prem.;)
Suarez
Gerrard
Torres.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
For Man City.
flippin eck. I am not sure I could, the older fans rave about Colin Bell. But to put an Ex player in the team you would be talking about Vinnie Kompany. City have been rammel for decades so my three would be
Dave Watson
Vinnie
Colin Bell

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For Man City.
flippin eck. I am not sure I could, the older fans rave about Colin Bell. But to put an Ex player in the team you would be talking about Vinnie Kompany. City have been rammel for decades so my three would be
Dave Watson
Vinnie
Colin Bell
Seen Bell play many times.
Real quality player.
He would fit in City’s team now imo he was that good he would adapt.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As it’s only ex-premiership players most of my favourites are out. No Billy Bonds, Trevor Brooking or Alan Devonshire.

However in a dream where David Moyes could somehow get them playing in his current team and putting in the required effort I would have:

1) Paolo Di Canio, the guy was fantastic, he had such vision and awareness he would be trying stuff that was on a different wavelength to the rest of the team.
2) Dimitri Payet, only played for us for a season and a half but when he was in his pomp he was the most exciting player I had ever seen at West Ham.
3) Rio Ferdinand, a brilliant modern defender, great tackler and superb at distributing the ball.

To be honest though Moyes has got such a great “team” at the moment maybe a Billy Big Balls type player would not fit into the group. (Although Jesse did ok last term)

From what I've heard Jesse has two personas .. social media he seems billy big but he is very down to earth (apparently) which is why Moyes wanted him

I agree with your 3 I just didn't go for them because payet was great but i see he as the main reason for our amazing season few years ago. He raised everyone around hims game because he was that good they trusted him on the ball. Made others look better. Downed tools second season after failure to invest , promises broken and we looked awful

He made bilic look half decent as a manager but has been found out at every job since

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
For Man City.
Dave Watson
Vinnie
Colin Bell
Question asked for Prem only so yours is easy. Aguero, Kompany, David Silva. :LOL:

Swango1980

Visit site

Yeah, was thinking of picking anyone from all time, but decided against it because:

1. I was about 11 when the Premier League started, so I can only really comment on players from before that based on the stories of others. It basically gave me a good reason to not fretting about not picking Best or Charlton. Also, since the Premiership, televised football has hugely increased, so most of us now get to watch players week in week out from all teams. I remember a time when I was very young the only live football was the FA Cup final, some International football and World Cups / Euros. Match of the Day was the only chance to see snippets of the weekly action. There was a mystique about European teams, because you would hear the stories but never really see them play. Nowadays it is easier to have a proper opinion on teams / players without relying on the hype.
  2. Since the Premier League began, the money that has gone into the game is ridiculous. Not just player wages, but training, food science, fitness, etc. I'd find it impossible to compare players from such different eras. Best was a genius of his time, but if he turned up to play for Utd next weekend pissed out of his face, he may struggle against immensely fit defenders who will not dive into a challenge that he can skip away from.
Some slight breaks of the rules as well, as I notice prime Bale was picked for Spurs by Orikoru :) . I included retired, because it is harsh that Spurs get a prime Bale, but United can't have a 24yr old Cristiano simply because he came back to Utd. Also, I think you need to have an ex-player playing at a level in which they achieved at your club. Not sure Eto'o and Gazza achieved that at Everton.

Mind you, who cares. Bit of fun and interesting how fans would build on their team from players of the past, however they do it.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Nigel Martyn

Richard Gough
David Weir
Kenny Sansom
Slaven Bilic

Peter Beardsley
Mikel Arteta
David Ginola
Paul Gascoigne

Mark Hughes
Andrei Kanchelskis

I'll go for our youth player selling/ let go 11 (well 10 because I don't remember ever making a good keeper)

------------------ill put in bywater

G Johnson Ferdinand Terry k Richardson

-----------lampard -- Carrick---ince ----

----------- j Cole------defoe ------cottee

Swango1980

Visit site
Question asked for Prem only so yours is easy. Aguero, Kompany, David Silva. :LOL:
I thought City fans would have the biggest problem with this, as they are so good now.

Kompany is the only one I could think off. Off course Aguero and Silva would be great, but they are not retired yet so off limits :)

Player I remember fondly, Kinkladze. No idea if he was actually that good, I just remember him by that goal. Bit like Yeboah, score a few crackers and become a legend on the back of it. Not sure who else City have had that immediatey spring to mind. Joey Barton, Bellamy, Dunne, Michael Ball, Quinn, Rosler. Honestly, I think I'm just randomly remembering players, possibly thinking back to my last sticker album

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought City fans would have the biggest problem with this, as they are so good now.

Kompany is the only one I could think off. Off course Aguero and Silva would be great, but they are not retired yet so off limits :)

Player I remember fondly, Kinkladze. No idea if he was actually that good, I just remember him by that goal. Bit like Yeboah, score a few crackers and become a legend on the back of it. Not sure who else City have had that immediatey spring to mind. Joey Barton, Bellamy, Dunne, Michael Ball, Quinn, Rosler. Honestly, I think I'm just randomly remembering players, possibly thinking back to my last sticker album
I didn't know they had to be retired, two of my three are out of the equation now. :LOL: Oops.

Tevez has practically retired, they could go for him. I think Yaya has retired now so there's him as well of course.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Purely in order of what we really need:

assuming I cant have prime Arsene Wenger as one of my choices (yes i know the Utd fans would have Sir Alex)

Viera - still not been replaced 15 years later
Adams - centre half, organiser, captain, leader
Bergkamp - the creator we need, would be perfect in the modern game imo, ahead of his time

seems ridiculous not to include Henry and not even discuss 10-15 other who would waltz into the current set up :( yup its that depressing