The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
Purely in order of what we really need:

assuming I cant have prime Arsene Wenger as one of my choices (yes i know the Utd fans would have Sir Alex)

Viera - still not been replaced 15 years later
Adams - centre half, organiser, captain, leader
Bergkamp - the creator we need, would be perfect in the modern game imo, ahead of his time

seems ridiculous not to include Henry and not even discuss 10-15 other who would waltz into the current set up :( yup its that depressing
I thought you'd have Henry, he was class.

OK, on a bit of a tangent to the original question, if you wish you can swap any of those 3 players for prime Wenger. And, by giving you that chance, I will swap Gary Neville for Sir Alex :)

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
My three players:
  1. Digger - a.k.a. John Barnes - a player ahead of his time. When he was good he was silky brilliant, just too good for the oppo. No real surprise he went to Liverpool and tore up trees there. Wasted by England, but that's a separate topic.
  2. Filippo Galli - legend at AC Milan and far and away the best defender I've seen playing for us.
  3. Daniel Tozser - included for his set piece taking and brilliant free kicks. We are desperate for that today!

D

Deleted member 16999

On the theme of 3 players, which 3 players that played for you would you of given away for free and forced to play for your rivals.

LPool get

Cuco Martina (LB)
Andy Van der Mede (Mid)
Brett Angell (Forward)

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yeah, was thinking of picking anyone from all time, but decided against it because:

1. I was about 11 when the Premier League started, so I can only really comment on players from before that based on the stories of others. It basically gave me a good reason to not fretting about not picking Best or Charlton. Also, since the Premiership, televised football has hugely increased, so most of us now get to watch players week in week out from all teams. I remember a time when I was very young the only live football was the FA Cup final, some International football and World Cups / Euros. Match of the Day was the only chance to see snippets of the weekly action. There was a mystique about European teams, because you would hear the stories but never really see them play. Nowadays it is easier to have a proper opinion on teams / players without relying on the hype.
  2. Since the Premier League began, the money that has gone into the game is ridiculous. Not just player wages, but training, food science, fitness, etc. I'd find it impossible to compare players from such different eras. Best was a genius of his time, but if he turned up to play for Utd next weekend pissed out of his face, he may struggle against immensely fit defenders who will not dive into a challenge that he can skip away from.
Some slight breaks of the rules as well, as I notice prime Bale was picked for Spurs by Orikoru :) . I included retired, because it is harsh that Spurs get a prime Bale, but United can't have a 24yr old Cristiano simply because he came back to Utd. Also, I think you need to have an ex-player playing at a level in which they achieved at your club. Not sure Eto'o and Gazza achieved that at Everton.

Mind you, who cares. Bit of fun and interesting how fans would build on their team from players of the past, however they do it.

Seems fair, by limiting it to just prem players at least most will have seen them and can judge, no use me saying some obscure player like Anton Otulakowski was one of the finest midfielders ever to grace the hallowed turf of Upton Park if no one has heard of him, it’s not interesting either. Good little sub thread.?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
On the theme of 3 players, which 3 players that played for you would you of given away for free and forced to play for your rivals.

LPool get

Cuco Martina (LB)
Andy Van der Mede (Mid)
Brett Angell (Forward)
:ROFLMAO:

Vlad Chiriches & Ramon Vega for a start. Good luck defending with those two at the back. Then we'll stick Vincent Janssen up top. Cow's arse and banjo come to mind. Although I'm torn between him and Rasiak.

Swango1980

Visit site

LPool get

Cuco Martina (LB)
Andy Van der Mede (Mid)
Brett Angell (Forward)
Well, no doubt there will be some reserve players who are long long forgotten (ben thornley, o'kane) etc.
Mone would be:

Bebe to replace Salah at Liverpool
William Prunier for Van Dijk at Liverpool
Djembe Djembe for Kevin DeBruyne

Although the 3rd one probably won't hurt City too much with their squad:(

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well, no doubt there will be some reserve players who are long long forgotten (ben thornley, o'kane) etc.
Mone would be:

No Massimo Taibi? Is there not a special place for him?

Funnily enough, I can think of plenty for other clubs, struggling with my own. We have had plenty of howlers, I've clearly blanked them from my memory.

Swango1980

Visit site
No Massimo Taibi? Is there not a special place for him?

Funnily enough, I can think of plenty for other clubs, struggling with my own. We have had plenty of howlers, I've clearly blanked them from my memory.
Actually, I had the same thought as soon as I hit send. Swapping 3 players is not enough to destroy all our rivals. So, as I think it would be easier to destroy Liverpool than City, forget Djemebex2 for De Bruyne. Instead, Taibi for Alisson.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Emerson, he was way better than Juininho till his wife ran off back to Brazil.
Ravanelli, pain in the butt but what a goal scorer.
Gazza, I thought was a poor acquisition but even at the end of his career he was amazing.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Brave call. Bringing 3 players in, you can keep the players you've got (or bin the worst 3 in a large squad). Bringing Shankly in, your going to have to kick Klopp out the door. Unless you plan on having a joint management team, like the Evans / Houllier days.
Klopp might be like Shanks one day
But me I prefer old school.;)
But those days are long gone.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mone would be:

If KDB is out can we have him please.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Does a transfer to Real Madrid count as retirement? :unsure: Okay, no Hazard then. :ROFLMAO:

Drogba, Zola & Gullit please. A pre GBH Petr Cech might have made it if it wasn't for the emergence of Edouard Mendy.

Put the question to Mrs BiM, who is also a season ticket holder and the response was Cech, Terry & Lampard. Lampard may not be entirely football related reasons...:eek::ROFLMAO: