The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1740

Sorry Stu but you don’t make the rules on who can call for a manager’s head. You don’t have to be at the game to read a league table and see a string of poor results. There’s good, knowledgeable season ticket holders and there’s thick ones. Same goes for those that sit glued to the tv.

Yes, absolutely you get a better perspective from the stands but you still have to be bright enough to interpret what you see. I’ve been a season ticket holder and heard plenty of rubbish spouted in the stands.

I’ve seen some very perceptive comments on here from season ticket holders, and I’ve seen some dross. Same applies to those made by the armchair viewer.

I never said I do, it's just my opinion.

Usually, those who shout the loudest often get heard and I think with social media the armchair knee Jerkers opinions get taken as the general opinion of the match going fans too.

From those 70k who were in OT on Sunday I'm pretty sure not all want OGS sacked. They want him to succeed and to fix their problems. Listening and reading to media/social media every man and his dog wants Him sacked.

I agree I've heard plenty of rubbish spouted by ST holders, but they generally don't call for the managers head in the ground.

The only time I've heard our fans calling for anyone to be sacked in the ground is when Hodgson was in charge and that was only a minority..... it should've been everyone and sooner?

Swango1980

Visit site

Usually, those who shout the loudest often get heard and I think with social media the armchair knee Jerkers opinions get taken as the general opinion of the match going fans too.

From those 70k who were in OT on Sunday I'm pretty sure not all want OGS sacked. They want him to succeed and to fix their problems. Listening and reading to media/social media every man and his dog wants Him sacked.

I agree I've heard plenty of rubbish spouted by ST holders, but they generally don't call for the managers head in the ground.

The only time I've heard our fans calling for anyone to be sacked in the ground is when Hodgson was in charge and that was only a minority..... it should've been everyone and sooner?
I don't think anyone has claimed that EVERY fan wants him sacked. Also, every fan that wants him sacked would RATHER he succeed. Utd fans, basically 100% of them absolutely want him to succeed. We have been desperate for it, and he has been in charge for 3 years. It is not as if fans are calling for his head after a month.

However, many many fans also want him to leave. Many will still love him to bits, but want him to go now before things continue to decline further. They want him to go, because like me, see no way he can turn things around. If he stays, and Utd suddenly become world beaters and we dominate football for the next decade, then I will absolutely love it if you come back and say "told you so, should have given him a chance". I will be singing away as I reply that you were right, and I was wrong. Sadly, I just do not see it happening. I don't even see us getting into the Champions League spots, let alone winning leagues.

D

Deleted member 15344

You are right in regards the fans that knee jerk quicker mainly appear to be ones that don’t go to the games but I would widen that out to the social media fans who are from far away lands etc - ones that have grown up on the sky/football manager/fifa eras of the game where they think every bad period should result in the manager going

It’s also a symptom of seeing how some clubs do act like that though - there are some clubs that have gone through manager after manager - even the succesfull ones like Chelsea and they think that’s how each club should work - a change in a manager meaning a change in success , it’s the same with spending

As for Hodgson - well the ones who backed him - they were mainly the same people who wanted Rafa gone

D

Deleted member 16999

Your contribution is pointless though, unless you are trying to say all non-season ticket holder fans are glory hunters who have never been to a match. You insult the intelligence of millions of fans in that one statement, and not just United fans. Do you also label Liverpool fans in the same bracket, if they do not hold a season ticket. I'm from Northern Ireland, and I know many Liverpool fans. And, many of them are absolutely passionate about their club. They bleed Liverpool, they watch every game, they look forward to every game. They are ecstatic when they win, and hurt when they lose. They are ripping United fans to pieces as we speak on social media, and fair enough. They'll wear the Liverpool shirt and be proud of it, their kids will become mad Liverpool fans as it will be brainwashed into them. Likewise, I have no doubt you have equally passionate Liverpool fans around the UK, and around the globe. Same as Man Utd. I know several passionate Newcastle fans down here in the East Midlands, and I would never question them as a fan or that they'll lack knowledge compared to these so called "proper fans".

So, in my opinion, you embarrass yourself by even trying to bring this into the discussion. Hopefully you're simply acting the troll and trying to get some to take the bait. If so, well done, fantastic contribution to the thread. If not, I would sincerely take any of your opinions with a pinch of salt in the future as you seem to lack reasoning skills. Last season, a small minority of Liverpool fans were shockingly calling for Klopps head due to frustrating results. I'm sure a small number might even attend Liverpool matches. However, there was no way I'd ever agree with that opinion, over another Liverpool fan from London who still had belief in Klopp.
Are you really calling me embarrassing and a troll when once again you are completely misinterpreting my posts!!

I know Hobbit, he knows I am talking about the Man Utd fans where I live, the 3 ST Holders plus a few others, ie just them and yes in my opinion a couple of them are gloryhunters, 1 of them even claimed in a discussion the best night of his life was being at the Camp Nou in 1999, until another lad said he was lying as he was sat next to him watching it in a local pub!
Total Gloryhunter!!

I was not labelling everyone else in Ireland, the States, Far East etc who support Utd as gloryhunters!

Seriously, nobody needs to read your short stories when it’s all in your head!

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
All the time. That's how you learn. Only one player has the ball, meaning that 21 players don't have the ball. It is so important what the players without the ball are doing. I coach our kids to try and be in the right place at the right time, whether they are defending or attacking. Personally I learn so much from going to live games, watching the very best in action seeing what they do off the ball. City and Liverpool in their pomp are something to behold live; you just don't "see it" on the TV, despite the endless camera angles and analysis. When City flobbed us 6-0 at The Vic in Sept 2017, I remember coming away from the game thinking that's the best football I've seen live and that's how I want to coach my football.

Yeah, and all season ticket holders are coaches like you ??
I feel sorry for all those fans near the back of the big stands, watching stick men play football and checking the sky sports app to find out who scored ?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I really dont get football managers, especially Arteta!!! No European football and little else to play for in October and he makes 9 changes for a cup games against Leeds, who have rightly picked the strongest possible side available to them

I mean why on earth are you picking Kolasinac!!!!! Tavares has played so little football but needs a rest after one game at the weekend that you pick your 3rd choice (being generous) left back? Likewise Cedric! Why is Lokonga not getting more game time? Lacazettes hardly been overworked of late but is on the bench again

the one guy they should be wrapping in cotton wool is obviously out there playing tho lol

Deserve to get beat with such utter misplaced arrogance

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I really dont get football managers, especially Arteta!!! No European football and little else to play for in October and he makes 9 changes for a cup games against Leeds, who have rightly picked the strongest possible side available to them

I mean why on earth are you picking Kolasinac!!!!! Tavares has played so little football but needs a rest after one game at the weekend that you pick your 3rd choice (being generous) left back? Likewise Cedric! Why is Lokonga not getting more game time? Lacazettes hardly been overworked of late but is on the bench again

the one guy they should be wrapping in cotton wool is obviously out there playing tho lol

Deserve to get beat with such utter misplaced arrogance

I get you need to keep people happy but the League cup is so underated. If he won that at least he could be like I've proven I can win, and doesn't the winner get Europa? I get bigger clubs don't rate the lower comps but for example if I was spurs I'd be going all in to win that conference. Then it would end the "trophyless" run .. get the fans some joy

Unless your going for the title surely the cups are something to aim for

I mean unless he is so blinkered and thinks he has a chance of top 4

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Let's be absolutely honest here, who the heck watches what's going on off the ball at a football match? Most people have their eyes glued to the ball and maybe sometimes glimpse away if something catches their eye, otherwise it's following play and not seeing if player x has dropped deep to sweep or player y has dropped the nut on someone ?
Think the ref wasn’t watching properly Sunday he missed three red card fouls.
VAR put him right on one though.

4LEX

Visit site
Anyone else sick and tired of Gary Neville? He was a breath of fresh air when he first appeared but Jamie Carragher now dwarfs him on every aspect of being a pundit. Not to mention Roy Keane and Michah Richards.

He can't give a straight answer as he's trying to cover his pals back. He looks lifeless, tired and washed up. He advocates giving managers time yet sacks more Salford managers than Paul Scholes sucks toes. He's made some very dodgy comments alluding to the vaccine being unsafe on his Sky Sports podcast and is constantly looking for political angles to get cheap shots in at Boris Johnson. I think he should be removed right away if it wasn't for the fact it's brilliant seeing his demise week by week. He's been exposed as a total fraud in management (his tenre at Valencia and joke role as Hodgsons assistant at England) and literally everything single thing he's said about Ole has been wrong. Sky are trying to promote equality yet he's in business with someone who is on trial for slapping women around :ROFLMAO:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Anyone else sick and tired of Gary Neville? He was a breath of fresh air when he first appeared but Jamie Carragher now dwarfs him on every aspect of being a pundit. Not to mention Roy Keane and Michah Richards.

He can't give a straight answer as he's trying to cover his pals back. He looks lifeless, tired and washed up. He advocates giving managers time yet sacks more Salford managers than Paul Scholes sucks toes. He's made some very dodgy comments alluding to the vaccine being unsafe on his Sky Sports podcast and is constantly looking for political angles to get cheap shots in at Boris Johnson. I think he should be removed right away if it wasn't for the fact it's brilliant seeing his demise week by week. He's been exposed as a total fraud in management (his tenre at Valencia and joke role as Hodgsons assistant at England) and literally everything single thing he's said about Ole has been wrong. Sky are trying to promote equality yet he's in business with someone who is on trial for slapping women around :ROFLMAO:

Spot on, especially when he went into Comrade Neville mode over the ESL.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Let's be absolutely honest here, who the heck watches what's going on off the ball at a football match? Most people have their eyes glued to the ball and maybe sometimes glimpse away if something catches their eye, otherwise it's following play and not seeing if player x has dropped deep to sweep or player y has dropped the nut on someone ?

I've done it occasionally to see what a sprecific player does; 45 minutes watching Gianluca Vialli was an absolute master class in forward play. But generally yes, most people will be following the action, me included.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
After tonight's game a plea for the watch to be taken away from the referee and given to a timekeeper; ball in play, clock starts; ball out of play clock stops; 35 minutes each way. Punters are being short changed.

It is a pointless exercise tapping your watch all the second half then only adding 4 minutes and booking the first player for time wasting in injury time. Yes Mr. Friend, I'm talking to you. :mad::mad:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've done it occasionally to see what a sprecific player does; 45 minutes watching Gianluca Vialli was an absolute master class in forward play. But generally yes, most people will be following the action, me included.

I'd try and do it with the Kante triplets, but I think I could only do it for 10 minutes - the man is a machine. One of my favourite ever prem players.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I'd try and do it with the Kante triplets, but I think I could only do it for 10 minutes - the man is a machine. One of my favourite ever prem players.

Another player who does it, probably too much, is Harry Kane. He gets a lot of grief for it, people expecting him to circle the penalty spot. But if they watched where he ‘drags’ the defenders with him and the gaps he creates by doing so they’d realise just how good he is in open play without the ball. His goals for himself might be down but the opportunities he creates and the goals for the rest of the team suggest something good is happening.

Another thing worth watching is strikers at corners picking who they want to be marked by. A good defender will recognise what’s going on but a good striker will go and stand next to the smallest defender. Even if doubled up on, the small guy can be used as a shield between the striker and the big defender.

Watching off the ball action, harder when you’re not there, is very revealing.

Swango1980

Visit site

Personally, I still really like him. I pretty much avoid twitter, so pretty much avoid his political tweets. He's entitled to his opinion, can agree or not agree, but I distance myself from it as much as I can.

Yes, he has not asked for Oles head, and keeps talking about the need to support managers. However, he was also clear he is under massive pressure and was also very clear where he thought we are tactically wrong, and that is the coaching staffs fault. However, if he doesn't want to ask for a mate to get sacked, I respect that. However, even more so, I don't think he has ever asked for any Utd or other manager to be sacked? If that is the case, surely he is being consistent. We know he will never ask for that, that is the board decision. I also respect Carragher voicing his belief that Ole is not good enough and should go. That is his opinion (which I agree with), and he chooses to express that. No problem at all. However, when they know Neville will not openly express the same opinion, I think it gets out of order that they press and press and press it on him, basically to make him look stupid as he refuses to openly agree with them. Was like watching school kids in a playground. Would also be interesting if Gerrard becomes the future Liverpool manager, and after 2 or 3 years Liverpool go downhill. Will Carragher confidently tell us all at home that Gerrard is not good enough and needs to go? I think he'd think twice about it, are be very cagey at least. That would be more hypocritical, as he is happy to call out other managers.

Favourite pundits: Neville, Carragher (yes, still like him as a pundit), Keane, Scholes, Richards (only when Keane is on)
Least favourite: Sutton, Souness, Hargreaves, Jenas, J Redknapp