The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

They're not Phil.

They're a pair of try hard divvies. Why can't they watch the game with their mates/family and enjoy it. Those who subscribe and watch them are the problem.

I couldn't think of anything worse.

That’s what makes them comedy gold - the fact that they even broadcast it and then some sit there and watch it , but I think most watch it because of the reactions. It’s not a patch on AFTV though ?

D

Deleted member 16999

I know you’re teasing ?, but I’ll reply anyway!

Jadon Sancho was a star in Germany, his stats being off the charts. Early days, but he’s not even been bang average at United so far. Donny Van de Beek, an integral part of a fantastic young Ajax side and a regular in the Dutch squad. Can’t get a kick. Aaron Wan-Bisakka a right back with huge potential and being touted as an England regular for years to come whilst at Palace, now distinctly average a lot of the time, frequently caught out of position. And Harry Maguire. A rock in an England shirt. Fantastic at Leicester, so much so that United were happy to pay whatever it took to get him. Described in an article this morning as “awful…..a better player when he was at Hull”.

The common denominator? The manager and coaching staff now looking after them. Devoid of confidence, utterly confused in everything they do and (those who actually play, anyway) making basic errors again and again.

These are not bad players. They simply aren’t being coached properly.
I’m not, strange as it may seem, saying Ole is not problem or the main issue, I also “get” that the only people who want him as your manager are opposition fans.

But, and it’s a massive but imo, when are the players going to be held accountable, you were playing your biggest rival in world football and the 11 that started the match were an embarrassment to your club.

1-0, 2-0, OK, stick to the managers plan it may come good, but after 15 minutes some of your players should of been going ballistic at each other, there was no leader on the pitch, no one willing to stand up and be counted, absolutely no passion.

The players you mention, Sancho and VDB, who knows if they are struggling to adapt to playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world, look at Chelsea with De Bruyne and Salah. But the other 2, you don’t go from playing well for your Country and rubbish for your club and then blame the manager for your lack of confidence.

You could of put 11 guys off this forum in a Utd shirt yesterday and you’d of seen more passion.

Moyes, Mourinho, Van Gaal, now Ole, none good enough for Utd and never the players fault.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’m not, strange as it may seem, saying Ole is not problem or the main issue, I also “get” that the only people who want him as your manager are opposition fans.

But, and it’s a massive but imo, when are the players going to be held accountable, you were playing your biggest rival in world football and the 11 that started the match were an embarrassment to your club.

1-0, 2-0, OK, stick to the managers plan it may come good, but after 15 minutes some of your players should of been going ballistic at each other, there was no leader on the pitch, no one willing to stand up and be counted, absolutely no passion.

The players you mention, Sancho and VDB, who knows if they are struggling to adapt to playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world, look at Chelsea with De Bruyne and Salah. But the other 2, you don’t go from playing well for your Country and rubbish for your club and then blame the manager for your lack of confidence.

You could of put 11 guys off this forum in a Utd shirt yesterday and you’d of seen more passion.

Moyes, Mourinho, Van Gaal, now Ole, none good enough for Utd and never the players fault.

Leadership wise, Maguire is a truly awful captain. He’s not one to shout instructions or encouragement, and on the face of it shows very little in the way of on-pitch leadership. But I’m not sure who else in the squad stands out as a potential captain.

I do take issue with the words in bold type! If Maguire and Shaw have lost the plot at Old Trafford, make schoolboy errors and lack confidence, whilst being able to turn it on a few days earlier in an England shirt, I’m not sure who else you can possibly hold responsible other than Solskjaer. Good, steady players on a Wednesday don’t become pub league players three days later - it’s down to what they’re being instructed to do, or not as the case may be, by Solskjaer.

As I’ve already said, whether any of us like England’s style of play or not, and I don’t, at least they have a very defined system and it is clear that the players know their role. It’s largely why they nearly won the Euros despite some pretty turgid performances. At United, it’s the complete opposite - the difference couldn’t possibly be more stark.

That simply has to impact on performance, surely.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
We can all find decisions that's gone against us that are similar.

I don't want to see players sent off willy nilly but we also want consistency with decisions.

Unfortunately it's almost impossible for the same ref to give the same decision week in week out

They're not robots, it's human nature I suppose.

What the PGMOL need to stop doing is putting refs in awkward positions.

I think a non local ref sends Ronaldo off.

It's not who the decisions were against Stu, it's the competence; I've only used ours as I'm familiar with them.

The same referee should be able to give the same decisions week in week out; I accept that there will be some difference between individual referees as to where they draw the line, but as long as they draw it consistently I have no problem with that.

I've no desire to see players sent off willy nilly, but I'd like the laws applied consistently, and if that's the result is it the referee's fault for applying the laws or the players' fault for breaking them?

I accept that some decisions have a degree of opinion to them but there were three stonewall reds for me yesterday; Ronaldo's assault, Maguire (I believe) taking out a player clean through on goal, and Pogba which they eventually got right. Simply not good enough, and that was supposed to be our best referee.

D

Deleted member 16999

Leadership wise, Maguire is a truly awful captain. He’s not one to shout instructions or encouragement, and on the face of it shows very little in the way of on-pitch leadership. But I’m not sure who else in the squad stands out as a potential captain.

I do take issue with the words in bold type! If Maguire and Shaw have lost the plot at Old Trafford, make schoolboy errors and lack confidence, whilst being able to turn it on a few days earlier in an England shirt, I’m not sure who else you can possibly hold responsible other than Solskjaer. Good, steady players on a Wednesday don’t become pub league players three days later - it’s down to what they’re being instructed to do, or not as the case may be, by Solskjaer.

As I’ve already said, whether any of us like England’s style of play or not, and I don’t, at least they have a very defined system and it is clear that the players know their role. It’s largely why they nearly won the Euros despite some pretty turgid performances. At United, it’s the complete opposite - the difference couldn’t possibly be more stark.

That simply has to impact on performance, surely.
How about the players themselves take responsibility, I can understand confusion over tactics or who is meant to take up what position etc, but surely Ole can’t take their ability to defend or talk to one another or the basic ability to pass the ball to another team mate.

D

Deleted member 16999

It's not who the decisions were against Stu, it's the competence; I've only used ours as I'm familiar with them.

The same referee should be able to give the same decisions week in week out; I accept that there will be some difference between individual referees as to where they draw the line, but as long as they draw it consistently I have no problem with that.

I've no desire to see players sent off willy nilly, but I'd like the laws applied consistently, and if that's the result is it the referee's fault for applying the laws or the players' fault for breaking them?

I accept that some decisions have a degree of opinion to them but there were three stonewall reds for me yesterday; Ronaldo's assault, Maguire (I believe) taking out a player clean through on goal, and Pogba which they eventually got right. Simply not good enough, and that was supposed to be our best referee.
In defence of one of the decisions yesterday (Maguire), Jota did not have control of the ball and there was a covering defender, therefore it was a foul and yellow card.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
How about the players themselves take responsibility, I can understand confusion over tactics or who is meant to take up what position etc, but surely Ole can’t take their ability to defend or talk to one another or the basic ability to pass the ball to another team mate.

Of course they take some of the responsibility, I’ve never said otherwise and neither have those players I have heard talk.

But the bulk of the responsibility lies with the manager and his coaching team.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
He couldn't send Ronaldo off yesterday as he didnt do a whole lot wrong. Made a foul then kicked the ball as a player fell down on it.
Now we know what he was doing. Ronaldo knows what he was doing and the ref knew what he was doing but he stayed with the bounds of the game by only kicking the ball and claiming to be "playing on".
Sneaky yes. Petulant yes. Red card, afraid not.

It was noting like the ball boy incident where he was lying on the ball completely blocking him from kicking it. Hazard simply kicked the ball boy. A complete farce of a situation to begin with.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
In defence of one of the decisions yesterday (Maguire), Jota did not have control of the ball and there was a covering defender, therefore it was a foul and yellow card.

I didn't see a covering defender at the time (not saying you're wrong) and I haven't seen it since (round at a relatives and it was on but I wasn't supposed to be watching ;)) but my initial thought was that he was through with just the keeper to beat. Not sure the ball being under control is an issue when the player is running through; not sure Mane had the ball under control when Christensen rugby tackled him at Stamford Bridge but it was the right decision.

D

Deleted member 16999

I didn't see a covering defender at the time (not saying you're wrong) and I haven't seen it since (round at a relatives and it was on but I wasn't supposed to be watching ;)) but my initial thought was that he was through with just the keeper to beat. Not sure the ball being under control is an issue when the player is running through; not sure Mane had the ball under control when Christensen rugby tackled him at Stamford Bridge but it was the right decision.

The following must be considered:

- distance between the offence and the goal
- general direction of the play
- likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
- location and number of defenders

Obviously VAR must of agreed with the Ref to not to get involved with suggesting a review.

No idea on the Mane one mate, never seen it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In part ?
Do said players say anything in training to the coaching staff ?
Surely international players would speak up before crossing the white line.

FWIW my thinking is your midfield is shocking .
This puts massive pressure on the defence.
The back four are all good players they don’t become awful overnight.
But they know there is nothing in front of them. But that is the managers/ head of buying players fault.
Just my opinion but the whole of the midfield needs sorting out.