The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
That was as empty headed as a player can be. Appallingly unprofessional.
I think he sees himself like an Iniesta type player, but reality is nowhere near. Not even an automatic starter in a struggling Newcastle side. Did he forget he was already on a yellow? Bizarre challenge to make when you know you have already been booked.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I think he sees himself like an Iniesta type player, but reality is nowhere near. Not even an automatic starter in a struggling Newcastle side. Did he forget he was already on a yellow? Bizarre challenge to make when you know you have already been booked.

He’s never been the sharpest knife in the drawer, has he? Shame, because I’ve always thought he had talent to burn.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Apologies to any Newcastle fans but fans but I would love it ? if Newcastle were relagated.

The Arabs would then have a lot longer to wait before they can buy the way to the top.

It was cringeworthy the cameras kept panning to the new owners draped in their oversize scarfs and taking selfies and looking on their phones

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Apologies to any Newcastle fans but fans but I would love it ? if Newcastle were relagated.

The Arabs would then have a lot longer to wait before they can buy the way to the top.

It was cringeworthy the cameras kept panning to the new owners draped in their oversize scarfs and taking selfies and looking on their phones

Did anyone else think that when Shelvey was red carded they were explaining to the main man that they would be down to 10 men?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've always thought Shelvey was rubbish and overrated when he was younger actually. What does he do besides hammer 60 yard passes out of play and pick up cards?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've always thought Shelvey was rubbish and overrated when he was younger actually. What does he do besides hammer 60 yard passes out of play and pick up cards?
Yes his discipline record is not good.
But he is good on the ball imo.
But you need movement upfront to play long balls and Newcastle really lack that.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes his discipline record is not good.
But he is good on the ball imo.
But you need movement upfront to play long balls and Newcastle really lack that.
I respect we may have different opinions here - but I saw an overrated youngster go to Liverpool, try too hard to be the next Gerrard and fail miserably. Since then he's been a mediocre player in some poor teams. Occasionally plays a nice pass, which could be said about any number of Premier League midfielders.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
Never noticed that but wouldn’t be surprised, must have been great build up and first 15 mins for the fans before reality kicked in.

Feel for Bruce proper football man and love of Newcastle.
He’s an awful awful manager, there is absolutely no point skirting around that. How he continually gets jobs with a win % of 35% is ridiculous, and the comments you hear like yday regarding him walking into another job just fuel the feeling amongst Newcastle fans that his chums in the media just blindly stick up for him. Watching us take the lead then retreat back, but with no defensive shape or plan just sums us up.

As for shelvey, he typifies the Bruce and Ashley era in some respect, over paid and doesn’t offer much. The previous manager (Benitez) didn’t rate him and he didn’t offer anything to the Benitez team plan, therefore he didn’t play. Bruce doesn’t have that plan, therefore shelvey plays because he’s a highly paid player. (Shelvey even said he prefers Bruce, because training is easier ffs). Shelvey was a decent prospect in teens because he makes the odd 40 yard pass, now he’s a luxury player in a non luxury position, in a team that can ill afford luxuries. Even ASM does more running.

Bruce has to go, just for the clean break. But rumblings of rumours regarding Jones lack of interest in a caretaker role, and the fact if all the Steves (Bruce, Agnew, clemence) went, we wouldn’t have enough coaches to run the place. It’s a bit of a concern and something they clearly need to get in order quick.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I respect we may have different opinions here - but I saw an overrated youngster go to Liverpool, try too hard to be the next Gerrard and fail miserably. Since then he's been a mediocre player in some poor teams. Occasionally plays a nice pass, which could be said about any number of Premier League midfielders.
Well agree he was never going to replace Gerrard.
I think his attitude has stopped him being a better player.
He has the talent I am sure, but he can’t control himself when things get tough.
He always looks like he’s just lost a tenner.

Swango1980

Visit site
He’s an awful awful manager, there is absolutely no point skirting around that. How he continually gets jobs with a win % of 35% is ridiculous, and the comments you hear like yday regarding him walking into another job just fuel the feeling amongst Newcastle fans that his chums in the media just blindly stick up for him. Watching us take the lead then retreat back, but with no defensive shape or plan just sums us up.

As for shelvey, he typifies the Bruce and Ashley era in some respect, over paid and doesn’t offer much. The previous manager (Benitez) didn’t rate him and he didn’t offer anything to the Benitez team plan, therefore he didn’t play. Bruce doesn’t have that plan, therefore shelvey plays because he’s a highly paid player. (Shelvey even said he prefers Bruce, because training is easier ffs). Shelvey was a decent prospect in teens because he makes the odd 40 yard pass, now he’s a luxury player in a non luxury position, in a team that can ill afford luxuries. Even ASM does more running.

Bruce has to go, just for the clean break. But rumblings of rumours regarding Jones lack of interest in a caretaker role, and the fact if all the Steves (Bruce, Agnew, clemence) went, we wouldn’t have enough coaches to run the place. It’s a bit of a concern and something they clearly need to get in order quick.

Is that bad? Genuinely do not know. It is not great if you are a top manager managing one of the top clubs. But, if you are managing poor teams that are going to do well to stay clear of relegation, then is 35% not reasonable? Surely he cannot be expected to win most of his games (over 50%) with that team. Winning 35% of your games in the PM gets you 39-42 points. Throw in a few draws, you are looking mid table. So, I wouldn't say his record from that standpoint screams to club owners that he should be avoided.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
He tries to play a role which has long been out-dated, dropping in front of the cbs to spray the ball up the pitch, any half decent cb can and does do that themselves now. Where we see midfielders dropping deep to help build play up, he doesn’t and isn’t dynamic enough to offer this. So he gets in the way, and then he just doesn’t have the legs to be a box to box midfielder, as he showed yesterday.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He tries to play a role which has long been out-dated, dropping in front of the cbs to spray the ball up the pitch, any half decent cb can and does do that themselves now. Where we see midfielders dropping deep to help build play up, he doesn’t and isn’t dynamic enough to offer this. So he gets in the way, and then he just doesn’t have the legs to be a box to box midfielder, as he showed yesterday.
What’s your opinion of St Maximin.?
He looks really good with the ball ,but his final ball / decision making seems erratic at best.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
Is that bad? Genuinely do not know. It is not great if you are a top manager managing one of the top clubs. But, if you are managing poor teams that are going to do well to stay clear of relegation, then is 35% not reasonable? Surely he cannot be expected to win most of his games (over 50%) with that team. Winning 35% of your games in the PM gets you 39-42 points. Throw in a few draws, you are looking mid table. So, I wouldn't say his record from that standpoint screams to club owners that he should be avoided.
It puts him towards the bottom of those who’ve made 1000 games, think Pulis has a similar record. It’s the fact he continually gets chances, his record for us is actually 27%. I understand it’s going to do for some chairman, but there’s a disconnect between how he’s lauded, and the reality of the fact he just seems to always drag teams down to a lower part of the league level.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
What’s your opinion of St Maximin.?
He looks really good with the ball ,but his final ball / decision making seems erratic at best.
He’s exciting, I went to the Leeds game and every time he got the ball fans were on their feet. His decision making and final ball could be better and his positional play at times too, but he really does attract 2/3 defenders every time he gets it, and often gets past them. Noticed the Leeds game him, almiron and willock didn’t seem to trust anyone else, at times actively playing away from Ritchie and joelinton etc which can lead to them over running and stuff.

He reminds me a bit of a fifa player, where once it’s been decided he’s going to shoot or pass he then can’t change his mind even if something stops him the first time, he keeps trying until it happens, sometimes it comes off like the Leeds goal, but most often he just ends up in a bit of a cul de sac. But overall he’s a great great player to watch. Think we’ll get maybe one maybe 2 more seasons out of him.

Interesting, just read that Phil fodens agent is one of the ‘football advisors’ to Staveley!!! ?