The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Enjoyed this afternoon’s match, the King Power was absolutely rocking. Best team performance for some time and the win thoroughly deserved.

Wasn’t that impressed by the ref. First minute, Maddison breaks through and is pulled back by Pogba - yellow card all day long. He must have committed another four fouls during the game which warranted a yellow. Finally get one in the 90th minute for an innocuous challenge.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
United lack a leader on the pitch. Maguire isn’t a captain - nowhere near vocal enough. I’d love to see someone with the vocal qualities of Conor Coady - I love what he brings to a side in that sense, regardless of playing ability.

Alas, I can’t see any managerial changes before the end of the season, unless Solskjaer falls on his sword. I just don’t see the club sacking him, unless the results start to match the performances. And that won’t happen whilst individuals like Ronaldo, Pogba and Bruno keep bailing Solskjaer out.

With the exception of some cover at right back, and someone with the quality of Kante in the middle of the park, United now have a squad capable of competing. I’d hate to see the quality we have start to drift away because they don’t have the manager with the nouse to get them playing as a team.
Do you not question the buying strategy and whether the manager actually has any input? Realistically he doesn’t have a defensive midfielder/holding midfielder and you need that to break up the opposition to give your attacking players a chance to play

D

Deleted member 15344

Wow Mendy is pulling off some blinding saves here - stunning that last one

D

Deleted member 15344

Agree. Brentford are brilliant to watch, as a neutral, but have been robbed tonight by poor refereeing decisions. Once again the big team getting the decisions in their favour.

Yep - shocking performance from the officials, that penalty shout was blatant

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Do you not question the buying strategy and whether the manager actually has any input? Realistically he doesn’t have a defensive midfielder/holding midfielder and you need that to break up the opposition to give your attacking players a chance to play

Yes, which is why the Ronaldo signing is so baffling. The plan since Solskjaer took over has clearly been to sign younger players, rather than trying to shoehorn established superstars into a system. Ronaldo’s signing is totally at odds with that philosophy, and as such I question whether the club by-passed the manager when that signing was made.

I absolutely agree a defensive midfielder is a priority. Maybe that was a signing too far in the last window, but it will be a priority next summer. Hopefully for a new manager.

Billysboots

Visit site
Fabulous effort from Brentford whatever happens. No one will get an easy game at Brentford this year, a cracking addition to the PL.

Very impressed with what I’ve seen of them so far. They’ll cause a lot of sides a lot of problems this season, especially at home.

Well drilled, well managed and every player gives 100%. If only I could say the same if my shower.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, which is why the Ronaldo signing is so baffling. The plan since Solskjaer took over has clearly been to sign younger players, rather than trying to shoehorn established superstars into a system. Ronaldo’s signing is totally at odds with that philosophy, and as such I question whether the club by-passed the manager when that signing was made.

I absolutely agree a defensive midfielder is a priority. Maybe that was a signing too far in the last window, but it will be a priority next summer. Hopefully for a new manager.
It was peculiar but didn’t Ferguson step in on the deal? I think CR does have something to share and that’s his professionalism.. if that rubs off on all the younger guys then it could have a super positive impact.
However the Donny situation I really don’t get. I see he played a few times and he is out of position and out of sync , and then Sancho hasn’t been played much either .. it’s all a little too disconnected

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
After the Arsenal game I thought ,well this was their cup final,after a few games they’ll be cannon fodder.
Brilliant how they just go at teams regardless of who they are.
As with all of those teams the key will be, can they score enough. Their attitude, style, organisation though is fabulous. Good fun to watch for their fans and for the neutral.

Billysboots

Visit site
It was peculiar but didn’t Ferguson step in on the deal? I think CR does have something to share and that’s his professionalism.. if that rubs off on all the younger guys then it could have a super positive impact.
However the Donny situation I really don’t get. I see he played a few times and he is out of position and out of sync , and then Sancho hasn’t been played much either .. it’s all a little too disconnected

I agree Ronaldo can help the younger players, but the same can be said of Cavani. And VDB’s signing is even more peculiar than that of Ronaldo - I’ve said all along he is clearly a player Solskjaer didn’t want. I can think of no other reason the player would be on the bench week in, week out. If it was simply a case of not being good enough, he wouldn’t make the bench. I firmly believe Solskjaer puts him on the bench not because he ever intends to use him, but to try and show the board who is in charge.

I don’t know if you just saw Gary Neville on Sky Sports. He was again scathing in his assessment. He named the front five and then said you wouldn’t want to be a defender in that team, simply because those in front of you don’t work hard enough. He added that, out of possession, United are one of the worst sides in the division.

That’s a shocking indictment of the players, and also the manager. The club have the players, but the players lack the work ethic. He said what I said at the time - even the performance against Newcastle was poor.

We are not playing well, and unless there is a huge change in attitude in the coming weeks things are only going to get a whole lot worse. Between now and the end of November the United of the last month or so will not pick up a point.