The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

As much as the result last night was disappointing, we didn’t lose, remember this Hungary side took points off both France and Germany in the Euros and were holding Portugal at 0-0 until the 84th minute.

A few weeks back we beat them 4-0 away, these results performances happen.

No international or Club side wins every match.

They managed to get a draw with a penalty with a good display and I don’t remember Pickford having anything else to do, we could of easily won that match 2/3-1 with the same disappointing performance.

I think once again England fans are over-reacting and maybe believing we are better than we actually are.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
As much as the result last night was disappointing, we didn’t lose, remember this Hungary side took points off both France and Germany in the Euros and were holding Portugal at 0-0 until the 84th minute.

A few weeks back we beat them 4-0 away, these results performances happen.

No international or Club side wins every match.

They managed to get a draw with a penalty with a good display and I don’t remember Pickford having anything else to do, we could of easily won that match 2/3-1 with the same disappointing performance.

I think once again England fans are over-reacting and maybe believing we are better than we actually are.
Totally agree with this. As I mentioned in a previous post, Hungary did their homework. They saw the threat in Foden and made sure he was quickly closed down every time he got the ball in the first half. He had a bit more freedom in the 2nd half but they dealt with any threat really well.
As the saying goes, "We can't win 'Em all!

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He's barely played in fairness.

This is what I don't understand. Why would Utd pay over £70 million for a player and then not give him game time? I assume that Ole wanted him, rather than it being a board decision, so if you're spending that kind of cash it has to be on a first choice player. There are very few clubs, apart from PSG, Man City and Newcastle, that can afford to spend over £70 million for a squad player to sit on the bench. It seems as though they wanted to buy him but haven't worked out, or can't work out the best way to fit him into the team. He looked fantastic last season at Dortmund which is why Utd paid so much for him so why not look at where they were using him to get those performances and then replicate that. If you've got a front five of Ronaldo, Fernandes, Pogba, Sancho and Rashford/Greenwood and you still don't look dangerous going forward then you've got problems.

D

Deleted member 1740

This is what I don't understand. Why would Utd pay over £70 million for a player and then not give him game time? I assume that Ole wanted him, rather than it being a board decision, so if you're spending that kind of cash it has to be on a first choice player. There are very few clubs, apart from PSG, Man City and Newcastle, that can afford to spend over £70 million for a squad player to sit on the bench. It seems as though they wanted to buy him but haven't worked out, or can't work out the best way to fit him into the team. He looked fantastic last season at Dortmund which is why Utd paid so much for him so why not look at where they were using him to get those performances and then replicate that. If you've got a front five of Ronaldo, Fernandes, Pogba, Sancho and Rashford/Greenwood and you still don't look dangerous going forward then you've got problems.

It's blatantly obvious to me, the manager hasn't got a scooby where or how to get him into the side.

I don't know what fans were expecting Sancho to do in such a short amount of time he's been given.

Even if he takes 6 months to settle which a lot of good players do, if managed right here's there 10yrs minimum.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
He's barely played in fairness.

As I said he needs a run of games
The trouble is where does he fit in.
I suspect when Rashford comes back he’s another notch lower.
To be fair Greenwood has stepped up his game since Sanchos arrival.

Southgate obviously doesn’t rate him higher than Sterling,Foden,Saka or Grealish.
Looks like a waiting game for Sancho

D

Deleted member 1740

As I said he needs a run of games
The trouble is where does he fit in.
I suspect when Rashford comes back he’s another notch lower.
To be fair Greenwood has stepped up his game since Sanchos arrival.

Southgate obviously doesn’t rate him higher than Sterling,Foden,Saka or Grealish.
Looks like a waiting game for Sancho

He's predominantly a Left sided forward/wide man. He's gotta play imo left of the 3.

He's an improvement on Rashford, martial and Greenwood though I think Greenwood would make a top centre forward if set up with the correct fire power behind.

Southgate shouldn't be used as an example, He's about as useful as OGS.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I see that English clubs are chartering a private jet to get players back from South America after the World Cup qualifying on Friday morning with a view to them playing at the weekend. Liverpool kick off 35 hours after the Brazil game and they want players to be involved!?!? They have a large squad which they are willing to use in Cup matches so why do they expect to play some players twice in 2 days? The big clubs are the first to complain when they have to play in quick succession over Christmas and then they blow any argument they have out of the water with actions like this.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Slightly off topic but it looks like next year will be the last FIFA football video game. FIFA decided that they wanted over a billion dollars to use its name for 4 years and further wanted to restrict the use and also be able to sell it for other video games. Bearing in mind that the payment is simply to use the name FIFA and the World Cup and does not include any player, club or stadium licences, it is hardly surprising that EA have decided that the next itteration of the game when the deal expires will be called something else.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Slightly off topic but it looks like next year will be the last FIFA football video game. FIFA decided that they wanted over a billion dollars to use its name for 4 years and further wanted to restrict the use and also be able to sell it for other video games. Bearing in mind that the payment is simply to use the name FIFA and the World Cup and does not include any player, club or stadium licences, it is hardly surprising that EA have decided that the next itteration of the game when the deal expires will be called something else.
Which emphasises that when it comes to football it’s all about money. Not the fans, players etc.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Fifa games have been bloody awful for the last 5 years anyway. Just glitch-riddled nonsense. I gave up on it three years back. Hopefully this gives them the opportunity to revamp it and make a decent game.

Swango1980

Visit site
Never bought a FIFA game in years. It became boring, with nearly every edition I ever bought having a "cheat" way to score a simple goal. In one of the earliest (may have been FIFA95), you just stood your player in front of the goalie when ball was in his arms, he kicked it into your chest, control, bang, goal. Another one, you just played a through ball down the wing, the winger ran diagonally through on goal, bang goal (really annoying when you play a human who used this tactic against you). Another it was virtually impossible to score from close range, but shoot 20 yards outside the box and it frequently flew into the top corner.

I became a Pro Evolution fan. Didn't have the licensing, but the ball mechanics where far superior, felt much more authentic.

Mind you, not bought any football game in years, don't have the attention span to play season after season.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Never bought a FIFA game in years. It became boring, with nearly every edition I ever bought having a "cheat" way to score a simple goal. In one of the earliest (may have been FIFA95), you just stood your player in front of the goalie when ball was in his arms, he kicked it into your chest, control, bang, goal. Another one, you just played a through ball down the wing, the winger ran diagonally through on goal, bang goal (really annoying when you play a human who used this tactic against you). Another it was virtually impossible to score from close range, but shoot 20 yards outside the box and it frequently flew into the top corner.

I became a Pro Evolution fan. Didn't have the licensing, but the ball mechanics where far superior, felt much more authentic.

Mind you, not bought any football game in years, don't have the attention span to play season after season.
In the PS3 era Pro Evo was king - 4, 5 & 6 were the best (between 2004 and 2006). On PS4 their efforts were not as good though. You're right about Fifa, there was always flaws every year. From about 2018 though they just got unbearable. I have Pro Evo 2020 because it was a cheap download (25 quid or so) when I got it. It's very clunky to be honest, but not quite as frustrating as the last several Fifas. I still don't play it very much. The main game I play now is PGA 2k21. :D Or Borderlands 3, but I completed it.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site

Interesting. I've played most FIFA games but not so much the 21 and certainly not the 22. I used to spend days and hours trawling through vids on how to become better, studied the tactics and then thought I nailed it with beautiful football. I then played my 12 yr old who was route one, get crosses in and scored most times! I did get to Div 3 I think on-line with Watford though!

Never tried Pro Evo though...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting. I've played most FIFA games but not so much the 21 and certainly not the 22. I used to spend days and hours trawling through vids on how to become better, studied the tactics and then thought I nailed it with beautiful football. I then played my 12 yr old who was route one, get crosses in and scored most times! I did get to Div 3 I think on-line with Watford though!

Never tried Pro Evo though...
The only consistent thing across all Fifas was that you were always better off with the fastest players. :LOL:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bit of an end of an era. I remember buying the original FIFA on the megadrive and many after that but, like others, have drifted on to other things. Pro Evo on the N64 was a classic but the lack of licences did detract from the experience. I have bought the latest version of FIFA for my nephew since he got his first console and only this week purchased the latest one for his 17th Birthday.