The Footie Thread

Orikoru

Tour Winner
A European ref will give that everyday for high foot.
Dosnt actually catch him but the dive was very convincing.
I remember when Crouch was at Spurs he used to get done for it all the time. Put his foot up at waist height (for him!) to control the ball, someone else would stoop and try to head it, and high foot was given. It was infuriating, there almost never seems to be a point where they say "well he simply shouldn't have stuck his head in there".

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
I don't know why you always keep saying that. It's just not his game. It would be like telling Grealish to stop dribbling, or Sterling to score from more than 10 yards out.
He’s out of form.
We don’t need him to be dropping deep as the midfield is quite good.
He’s 15yds out of position when we do get behind them.
Southgate hasn’t got the balls to leave him out and play an inform striker.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
He’s out of form.
We don’t need him to be dropping deep as the midfield is quite good.
He’s 15yds out of position when we do get behind them.
Southgate hasn’t got the balls to leave him out and play an inform striker.
Don't disagree that he's not playing his best at the moment. But even at 70% he's still more likely to score a goal than Abraham or Watkins I think. They're not exactly glittering options. I'm sure one of them will come on for him with about 20 minutes to go.

pauldj42

Money List Winner
Very disappointing performance from England, some credit must go to Hungary who were almost back to the Hungarian team we saw at the Euros.

Not sure there were any stand out English players.

One thing that stood out was that we currently don’t have any back up to Kane and Sterling, they didn’t play well, but were still better than what replaced them.

Still, only a month until England v Albania.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Don't disagree that he's not playing his best at the moment. But even at 70% he's still more likely to score a goal than Abraham or Watkins I think. They're not exactly glittering options. I'm sure one of them will come on for him with about 20 minutes to go.
My main problem with Kane is we have arguably a world class midfield.
We don’t need Kane to be dropping deep.
It works at Spurs because you have Son .
It’s just my opinion but he’s not in position when we get behind the defence.
I think the same at Liverpool with Firmino, but that’s how Klopp plays it.

When Kane is on top form then yes it’s how he plays, but imo he should not have started today.

Far to many back passes from our so called creative midfielders.
But credit to the ops they played very well and deserved a draw imo.

Swango1980

Does Southgate simply adore Sterling and Mount. They seem to do no wrong in his eyes. Great managers are not afraid to bench players based on immediate form. Southgate will stick with players for months, if not years, if they have one decent game at the right time.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Does Southgate simply adore Sterling and Mount. They seem to do no wrong in his eyes. Great managers are not afraid to bench players based on immediate form. Southgate will stick with players for months, if not years, if they have one decent game at the right time.
Just a shame the best chances fell to Sterling tonight.
He just isn’t a clinical finisher and in a game like this that’s what we needed.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
For Southgate to truly be credited for what he's done, he has to drop his favourites when they are clearly out of form.
Sadly for England, I doubt he will and will continue in the same vane as previous holders of his position.

4LEX

You can't play Grealish and Foden together, they're too preditcable and either play it safe or try hollywood passes. You need a proper winger there especially as Mount is similar to them but more central.

Grealish on the left but get rid of Foden on the right and play a winger. England aren't Man City and coached by a genius.

Always defended Harry Kane but he is in big trouble, he needs to get out of Spurs ASAP as he's a shadow of the player we've seen over the last 5 years. Looked like we'd stuck a League One player up top.

We can forgive the side a bad night though, we're going to make the World Cup but a lot of big calls for Southgate to make before Qatar.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
You can't play Grealish and Foden together, they're too preditcable and either play it safe or try hollywood passes. You need a proper winger there especially as Mount is similar to them but more central.

Grealish on the left but get rid of Foden on the right and play a winger. England aren't Man City and coached by a genius.

Always defended Harry Kane but he is in big trouble, he needs to get out of Spurs ASAP as he's a shadow of the player we've seen over the last 5 years. Looked like we'd stuck a League One player up top.

We can forgive the side a bad night though, we're going to make the World Cup but a lot of big calls for Southgate to make before Qatar.
Yes I agree.
I wonder what Sancho has to do to start before Sterling.