The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does Southgate simply adore Sterling and Mount. They seem to do no wrong in his eyes. Great managers are not afraid to bench players based on immediate form. Southgate will stick with players for months, if not years, if they have one decent game at the right time.
Just a shame the best chances fell to Sterling tonight.
He just isn’t a clinical finisher and in a game like this that’s what we needed.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does Southgate simply adore Sterling and Mount. They seem to do no wrong in his eyes. Great managers are not afraid to bench players based on immediate form. Southgate will stick with players for months, if not years, if they have one decent game at the right time.
For Southgate to truly be credited for what he's done, he has to drop his favourites when they are clearly out of form.
Sadly for England, I doubt he will and will continue in the same vane as previous holders of his position.

4LEX

Visit site
You can't play Grealish and Foden together, they're too preditcable and either play it safe or try hollywood passes. You need a proper winger there especially as Mount is similar to them but more central.

Grealish on the left but get rid of Foden on the right and play a winger. England aren't Man City and coached by a genius.

Always defended Harry Kane but he is in big trouble, he needs to get out of Spurs ASAP as he's a shadow of the player we've seen over the last 5 years. Looked like we'd stuck a League One player up top.

We can forgive the side a bad night though, we're going to make the World Cup but a lot of big calls for Southgate to make before Qatar.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can't play Grealish and Foden together, they're too preditcable and either play it safe or try hollywood passes. You need a proper winger there especially as Mount is similar to them but more central.

Grealish on the left but get rid of Foden on the right and play a winger. England aren't Man City and coached by a genius.

Always defended Harry Kane but he is in big trouble, he needs to get out of Spurs ASAP as he's a shadow of the player we've seen over the last 5 years. Looked like we'd stuck a League One player up top.

We can forgive the side a bad night though, we're going to make the World Cup but a lot of big calls for Southgate to make before Qatar.
Yes I agree.
I wonder what Sancho has to do to start before Sterling.

D

Deleted member 16999

I genuinely thought the 15 mins Henderson played he tried to drive us forward and was trying to get other players to step up.

As much as I rate Rice and Philips, Henderson brings leadership to the side that they haven’t yet developed.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I genuinely thought the 15 mins Henderson played he tried to drive us forward and was trying to get other players to step up.

As much as I rate Rice and Philips, Henderson brings leadership to the side that they haven’t yet developed.
Especially if it stops Stones thinking he’s Messi.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought it was obvious but the point of bringing Henderson on was to switch from 4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1, and allow us to start using a number 10 (pushing Mount further forward). And Foden was also pushed further forward on the left.

D

Deleted member 16999

I thought it was obvious but the point of bringing Henderson on was to switch from 4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1, and allow us to start using a number 10 (pushing Mount further forward). And Foden was also pushed further forward on the left.
That’s fine if he hadn’t of brought off Kane, if you are going to push players up, you need to have the strikers capable of getting on the end and personally I’d rather have a 70% Harry Kane or Raheem Sterling than a 100% Tammy Abraham.

I’d of took of Mount for Henderson, give Foden a free role and told Kane and Sterling to stay on their last man.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That’s fine if he hadn’t of brought off Kane, if you are going to push players up, you need to have the strikers capable of getting on the end and personally I’d rather have a 70% Harry Kane or Raheem Sterling than a 100% Tammy Abraham.

I’d of took of Mount for Henderson, give Foden a free role and told Kane and Sterling to stay on their last man.
Obviously I'm biased towards Kane but I think most others in this thread were disagreeing last night and asking for Kane to be taken off. Abraham was in a bit of form having scored in the previous game I suppose. But he's definitely nowhere near the same level as Kane. A lot of people seem to think the team should be chosen purely on form, but I think certain players transcend that by simply having a much higher base level of ability. i.e. the most damning thing isn't that Kane's off form, it's that there's no one else really good enough to challenge him for a start. Vardy is the only other one who's probably good enough, he's long been out of the set-up now but even at his age he's still the next best English striker. It's a shame his career didn't really kick off until he was already 28 really!

D

Deleted member 16999

Obviously I'm biased towards Kane but I think most others in this thread were disagreeing last night and asking for Kane to be taken off. Abraham was in a bit of form having scored in the previous game I suppose. But he's definitely nowhere near the same level as Kane. A lot of people seem to think the team should be chosen purely on form, but I think certain players transcend that by simply having a much higher base level of ability. i.e. the most damning thing isn't that Kane's off form, it's that there's no one else really good enough to challenge him for a start. Vardy is the only other one who's probably good enough, he's long been out of the set-up now but even at his age he's still the next best English striker. It's a shame his career didn't really kick off until he was already 28 really!
Give form players a chance by all means, but producing it on the International Stage is totally different, DCL had a great season for us last year and rightly deserved a place in the squad, but he doesn’t carry the presence or threat of Kane or even Sterling.

Abraham scored against Andorra, maybe the mistake was resting the first XI and not giving them the confidence boost of getting amongst the goals.

Sterling is another one who’s never let England down and on another night he’d of took a couple of the chances he had last night.

Mount, doesn’t impress me, he seems inconsistent with Chelsea, Sancho is not playing well, maybe the step up to Utd is one step too far.

Last night was a one off, but for the time being, barring injuries, Kane and Sterling would start up front for the last 2 qualifiers.

Play with the squad over the next 9 months, but make sure we qualify first.

Sadly, Southgate was correct in his interview in that he’ll get murdered whatever team he picks.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
At the end of the day, Hungary posed us a question that neither the players, nor the manager had the wit to solve.

We have become predictable in that when we get the ball wide, if there is no route through, the ball gets recycled backwards, across the back four and down the other flank where Grealish will then find his route blocked, track backwards, run infield with the ball, find he has nowhere to go, lays the ball back to the central defenders, gets recycled among the back four and we start again....repeat for 70 minutes before changing to plan B which is essentially plan A but with different players.

No one makes darting runs into the box because they know in all likelihood that the ball isn't coming in. The ball doesn't go in because there are no runs into the box. Indeed...how can Kane make a run into the box when he spends half his time in midfield. Basically, the team is too static and rigid....there's not enough movement up front to pull defenders around and create space for other players. Its not a formation issue...its an intelligence, tactics, vision and movement issue.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Southgate is not tactically smart enough/ a good enough coach to get the best out of the players at his disposal.

The England team on display last night should be a top 3 premier league side, steamrolling teams. We should not need 2 holding midfielders to keep Hungary at bay. End of.

Started the right team for the first time ever - should have seen Sancho for Sterling and Tammy for Kane after 60 mins though.