The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
They didn't struggle to attract players during the Keegan years, they won't now. Do you think top players dream of strolling around Manchester? Players will follow the money, simple as.

I went past St James last night on the way to the theatre, not highbrow it was an evening with Rob Brydon. Very good it was too ?. Anyway, you would have thought they'd won the league. There were thousands outside the ground, singing as though a game was on and they were 4-0 up. We lowered the windows because we couldn't quite believe they volume of the singing, it was nuts. The pubs did well though, when we came out of the theatre there were a lot of drunks in Toon shirts wobbling around ??. Needless to say, the news has gone down well.

I’ve lived up here 32 years now, and they are fantastic supporters.
I remember in 1989/90 before football was fashionable, and Newcastle had gates of 16,000 and they were in the bottom third of the old Second Division watching real dross. Fabulous supporters and people I love em, great people.
Instead of shouting “Howay the Lads”it’ll now be “Salam Allah Kum”

D

Deleted member 16999

I’ve lived up here 32 years now, and they are fantastic supporters.
I remember in 1989/90 before football was fashionable, and Newcastle had gates of 16,000 and they were in the bottom third of the old Second Division watching real dross. Fabulous supporters and people I love em, great people.
Instead of shouting “Howay the Lads”it’ll now be “Salam Allah Kum”
But if you want to wind them up, just remind them they held the record for the lowest attendance in top flight football for the 1970’s a crowd of around 7,000 v Norwich.

They only lost the record when the likes of Wimbledon got in to the PL.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I am amazed at the number of Sunderland fans who have suddenly become socially aware.;)
When City were bought by sheik Mansoor you could of swopped the above statement for Manchester Utd fans. In fa t all fans of the top table with the possible exception of Chelsea fans. That said people tend to forget Thaskin Shinawatra who owned City before Mr Mansoor bought the club. He was classed as fit and proper, an Ex Thai primeminister. He was as bent as they came. Incidentally he tried to buy both Fulham and Liverpool. I wonder if people’s/ fans thoughts about him would be differant if that had happened.

D

Deleted member 15344

The Saudis were always going to buy a club - Newcastle don’t have any debt and was prime to be taken over.

Morally everything about Saudi Arabia is more than questionable- but morals left football and most sports long time ago

First thing - it’s clear the Prem league don’t care when they and everyone knows that the club is state owned despite the “legally binding declaration” it’s not - a state owning a club imo is wrong

Now looking at a football side - all the talk is about them now winning the league within 5 years - imo I don’t see them doing that and maybe not for a while

What level of manager are they going to attract ? And also what players are they going to attract - will the money mean they now battle City and Chelsea for the likes of Haaland and Mbappe?

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
They had over £100m in debt, it was just owed to the previous owner, hence the price. The club is no where near worth £300m but he wanted his investment (£200m after shepherd and hall stung him on some loans) and the loans he’d given the club back. (He was entitled to demand it back to be fair).

I think it’s clear that the separation issue will continue to hang over the club, and let’s be honest you are probably right, regardless of what staveley claims with regards to it just being an investment firm. But the PL didn’t care about that, they cared about piracy and that was it. Once that was resolved all other issues went away, the agreement is just a smokescreen for the piracy issue.

As for the football side, I havent heard any claims of winning the league within 5 years, I’ve heard 5-10 years for competing, but must admit paid less attention today so if any update to that would be interested in reading.

I think the manager decision will be a huge indicator of ambition, if they go after a Conte/Zidane then that to me indicates they are going to go for it. No way Conte takes us on without guarentees of big spending. I think the more likely scenario is Howe, or Favre and that to me indicates a longer term plan.

As for all the other talk about the morality of it, and if as a fan we should be ashamed or answerable for any of it. I agree in an ideal world, they wouldn’t be anywhere near our club (hell in an ideal world, I’d own it) but the reality is now they do, so after it settles down I’ll be looking at NUST to positively engage and challenge the owners, I’ll be looking at the PL and other owners to do the same. Maybe it’ll make absolutely zero difference but if we can influence them in anyway then hopefully there will be a slither of positivity.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
They had over £100m in debt, it was just owed to the previous owner, hence the price. The club is no where near worth £300m but he wanted his investment (£200m after shepherd and hall stung him on some loans) and the loans he’d given the club back. (He was entitled to demand it back to be fair).

I think it’s clear that the separation issue will continue to hang over the club, and let’s be honest you are probably right, regardless of what staveley claims with regards to it just being an investment firm. But the PL didn’t care about that, they cared about piracy and that was it. Once that was resolved all other issues went away, the agreement is just a smokescreen for the piracy issue.

As for the football side, I havent heard any claims of winning the league within 5 years, I’ve heard 5-10 years for competing, but must admit paid less attention today so if any update to that would be interested in reading.

I think the manager decision will be a huge indicator of ambition, if they go after a Conte/Zidane then that to me indicates they are going to go for it. No way Conte takes us on without guarentees of big spending. I think the more likely scenario is Howe, or Favre and that to me indicates a longer term plan.

As for all the other talk about the morality of it, and if as a fan we should be ashamed or answerable for any of it. I agree in an ideal world, they wouldn’t be anywhere near our club (hell in an ideal world, I’d own it) but the reality is now they do, so after it settles down I’ll be looking at NUST to positively engage and challenge the owners, I’ll be looking at the PL and other owners to do the same. Maybe it’ll make absolutely zero difference but if we can influence them in anyway then hopefully there will be a slither of positivity.

I think the manager issue is massive, Conte and ZZ bring in big names. It’s shows an intent. Howe and Favre you would of jumped at either of them 6 months ago. But the take over has set the bar higher. Really looking forward to see how it pans out for Newcastle More so it’s fans.
Football is a roller coaster, City fans know that. Newcastle are finally on the rise. Hold on tight ?

Last edited:

4LEX

Visit site
Forget doing it brick by brick, Newcastle need to spend big right away to compete and bring in a big name manager, huge signings and signal their intent. As they won't be bothered about the CL for 4-5 years they have no worries of FFP. It's all about cups short term and then the title.

Newcastle don't have a bad side, just a bad manager. Conte would shake things up and a January spending spree would see them top half.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
Forget doing it brick by brick, Newcastle need to spend big right away to compete and bring in a big name manager, huge signings and signal their intent. As they won't be bothered about the CL for 4-5 years they have no worries of FFP. It's all about cups short term and then the title.

Newcastle don't have a bad side, just a bad manager. Conte would shake things up and a January spending spree would see them top half.
God it’s going to be a thud back down to earth when Graeme Jones is appointed on an interim basis and then ends up seeing the season out and we finish bloody 13th!! Haha.
Could you see Conte coming to a club that aren’t in CL and likely won’t be for a long time? Regardless of how much they spend? It’ll be a massive statement if they get him, but I honestly will be surprised.

D

Deleted member 16999

I suppose it depends on how you interpret Amanda Staveley’s words, this is from one interview:

“Of course we have the same ambitions as Manchester City and PSG in terms of trophies, obviously. But it will take time.

Do we want to win the Premier League in 5-10 years? Yes.”

So to win it at the minimum, you’d have to be competitive in at least 2 years before the 5 and at the maximum 10, I’d imagine a few frustrations.

But after 14yrs of Ashley, 10yrs is a doddle.;)

D

Deleted member 15344

Seems there are some very upset people in some club boardrooms today…..The cynic in me says it might be self interest but as the clubs mentioned are some of those who were involved in the ESL project let's be charitable and assume their concerns are genuine. ?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... ivals.html

It’s not surprising tbh - morals left the sport a long time ago

If it was just one person who was buying the club then I wouldn’t expect the club to have concerns but being state owned and also the state that’s involved will not sit will for some - it may affect the image of the league and club just like it does with other sports when Saudi gets involved but it is what it is and there has always been plenty of hypocrisy around the sport . Stavely has spent the good part of a decade trying to buy a club - finally did it. Would like to know what the Premier Leagues - fit and proper owners test is thoughb

D

Deleted member 16999

Seems there are some very upset people in some club boardrooms today…..The cynic in me says it might be self interest but as the clubs mentioned are some of those who were involved in the ESL project let's be charitable and assume their concerns are genuine. ?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... ivals.html
?? Brilliant, Russian, American, Chinese money = good, Saudi money = bad (unless it’s only a little bit of Saudi money then that’s ok).

Definitely genuine concerns?

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
It’s not surprising tbh - morals left the sport a long time ago

If it was just one person who was buying the club then I wouldn’t expect the club to have concerns but being state owned and also the state that’s involved will not sit will for some - it may affect the image of the league and club just like it does with other sports when Saudi gets involved but it is what it is and there has always been plenty of hypocrisy around the sport . Stavely has spent the good part of a decade trying to buy a club - finally did it. Would like to know what the Premier Leagues - fit and proper owners test is thoughb

Stavely is an interesting character, I watched her talk about Newcastle as if she has supported them all her life.... this from her bio….

Staveley was involved in Sheikh Mansour's £210 million purchase of Manchester City F.C. through the Abu Dhabi United Group, a transaction reportedly worth £10 million in commission to PCP Capital Partners.

At the same time Staveley was involved in extended negotiations by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum's Dubai International Capital to buy a 49 per cent stake in Liverpool Football Club, although the deal, which would have given Staveley a place on the club's board, eventually foundered,

Top Geordie fan !