The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
GK always comes first. After that it was just players who came to mind, no order.

I actually don't know that much about Winks but he isn't getting a game at Spurs and Everton keep being linked with him. Sounds like someone who Newcastle could pick up quite easily and it would be a good move for him. For any player on the fringes right now, who wouldn't want to join this ride. They have seen how it worked at City.

I'd take the job, mainly because it is hugely profitable no matter how rubbish you are. 3 year contract £5m p/a sounds about right. 8 months in, I get the boot with a big pay off :LOL:. I'd get to play in the all the charity days at Close House for free as well. Win, win (y)

oh i dont doubt Winks would jump at the chance........

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
There are plenty of thug characters in US tv that carry a baseball bat. See Negan and Harley Quinn.

The US has quite a few military bases in the UK. I've been on at least 1 with a baseball wicket.

Baseball isn't popular in the UK, as we already have terminally dull games that involve standing in a field while players try to hit a ball someone has thrown at them with a stick.

I can't imagine why we'd have military bases in the UK.
The UK is a nuclear power. You don't need us hanging around. Maybe it's good for the economy or something--I don't know.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Go on then who else is out there not currently first choice:

Henderson/Leno
Telles/Stones/Gomez/Ake
Traore/Van de Beek/Perez/Barkley/HudsonOdoi/Loftus Cheek/Yarmolenko/Ndombele/Lookman
Cavani/Martial/Mahrez/Sterling/Nketiah/Origi/Lacazette/

Thats just in the prem, if I was Newcastle Id be shopping in France/Spain/Germany a fair bit in January

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Go on then who else is out there not currently first choice:

Henderson/Leno
Telles/Stones/Gomez/Ake
Traore/Van de Beek/Perez/Barkley/HudsonOdoi/Loftus Cheek/Yarmolenko/Ndombele/Lookman
Cavani/Martial/Mahrez/Sterling/Nketiah/Origi/Lacazette/

Thats just in the prem, if I was Newcastle Id be shopping in France/Spain/Germany a fair bit in January
Oi, get your own job :LOL:.

That's a really good list. There are enough on there that would be genuinely interesting for the club, not just daft forum / pub chat. One of the benefits for Newcastle is that a number of these players are almost trapped at their clubs, paid big money (I know, bless em), but no one wants to take them at those wage levels. That wont impact Newcastle so they could pick up some proper players for modest fees, big wages, and get going in January quite quickly.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don’t want to pick on you as it’s clear that I’m in the minority on this but I really despair at our endless ability to compartmentalise and ignore atrocity and deflect with crude whataboutery.

If disgust at regimes that murder their critics and enslave half their population can be dismissed as “politics” we’re in a deep moral vacuum.

My views on golf in Saudi are not in conflict with my views on this but that would be a different thread.
The reality is that if you look at a range of owners, regimes etc that very few would pass a moral test. That is the reality of the situation. I might not like the Saudi regime but I think there are an awful lot of others in a similar boat. Where does the line get crossed on that front? I would agree that the Saudis are on the wrong side of that debate but a lot of owners would be very close by if you started to look at their behaviour and record. People have developed a moral outrage at this deal whilst forgetting others, including sponsors, etc. This is ultimately a country that our country welcomes with open arms, our head of state welcomes with open arms and is heavily involved already in sport, racing, in this country. The horse has bolted on this one.

D

Deleted member 16999

Don’t want to pick on you as it’s clear that I’m in the minority on this but I really despair at our endless ability to compartmentalise and ignore atrocity and deflect with crude whataboutery.

If disgust at regimes that murder their critics and enslave half their population can be dismissed as “politics” we’re in a deep moral vacuum.

My views on golf in Saudi are not in conflict with my views on this but that would be a different thread.
I don’t think you are in a minority in your opinions on the Saudi Regime, to me the issue is more about, what impact they have on my life right now and what, if anything I could do that would make a difference.

We have heads of state doing billions of dollars worth of business with them, until they start stepping up there is very, very little the normal person can do, yes we could protest, yes we can choose not to buy any products that they are involved with, but were does it end?

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
The reality is that if you look at a range of owners, regimes etc that very few would pass a moral test. That is the reality of the situation. I might not like the Saudi regime but I think there are an awful lot of others in a similar boat. Where does the line get crossed on that front? I would agree that the Saudis are on the wrong side of that debate but a lot of owners would be very close by if you started to look at their behaviour and record. People have developed a moral outrage at this deal whilst forgetting others, including sponsors, etc. This is ultimately a country that our country welcomes with open arms, our head of state welcomes with open arms and is heavily involved already in sport, racing, in this country. The horse has bolted on this one.
You do realise you responded to Kaz’s critique of whataboutery by instantly launching into more whataboutery?

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site

Good job Graham Carr has left. Performance from his son Alan at half time, getting stoned and lashings.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
I don’t think you are in a minority in your opinions on the Saudi Regime, to me the issue is more about, what impact they have on my life right now and what, if anything I could do that would make a difference.

We have heads of state doing billions of dollars worth of business with them, until they start stepping up there is very, very little the normal person can do, yes we could protest, yes we can choose not to buy any products that they are involved with, but were does it end?

But most toon fans aren't even acknowledging the horrible people they are. They are using whataboutery to deflect. How can they start to hold their cash back, when they want to ignore the truth?

I stopped going to football and giving any money to my club, when we sold our ground for a crap 99 year lease. It's not particularly hard.

D

Deleted member 16999

But most toon fans aren't even acknowledging the horrible people they are. They are using whataboutery to deflect. How can they start to hold their cash back, when they want to ignore the truth?

I stopped going to football and giving any money to my club, when we sold our ground for a crap 99 year lease. It's not particularly hard.
Actually most of the sensible fans are acknowledging it, and are content to keep supporting Newcastle, the 2 things are possible, just like Amnesty International stated last night.

What is winding them up more is the faux outrage from politicians and supporters of other Clubs who also have links to the Saudi and other horrible regimes and yet have said nothing in the past.

D

Deleted member 16999

This was my original point, I think. You can sympathise with fans celebrating getting rid of Ashley. And you can’t just stop supporting your club because of the owners, it doesn’t work like that. Plenty won’t care at all I expect but not a great situation for those that do.
Unfortunately I think the majority of them/us are far more shallow than they’d get credit for and only see it as a positive situation to be in.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Actually most of the sensible fans are acknowledging it, and are content to keep supporting Newcastle, the 2 things are possible, just like Amnesty International stated last night.

Exactly, I wonder if some people are basing their opinions of Newcastle fans on the TV pictures last night. I can assure you those aren't the real match going fans, they are just the rabble from the West End who descend on the ground at the drop of a hat lol.

D

Deleted member 16999

Exactly, I wonder if some people are basing their opinions of Newcastle fans on the TV pictures last night. I can assure you those aren't the real match going fans, they are just the rabble from the West End who descend on the ground at the drop of a hat lol.
I am amazed at the number of Sunderland fans who have suddenly become socially aware.;)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is a sad state of affairs but a majority of sport is morally or socially corupt. From football club owners to golf in certain nations. from the larger rugby nations poaching players and not helping fund the smaller nations (looking mainly at the pacific islands) to the closed shop of european rugby, from betting scandals in cricket and snooker to name but 2 to the doping and cheating in athletics and road cycling, from the bullying in track cycling and gymantics to the wholsale promotion in many sports of predatory gambling companies, it is all wrong and all pretty abhorrent. Sport as an ideal and an example of corrinthean spirit and, to coin a phrase, sportsmanship has pretty much disappeared with the ethos that winning and, more importantly, making money are the be all and end all has replaced what was the friendly rivalry between towns and nations. At a supporting level, sport can bring people and nations together but it does not take much to scratch the surface and find something festering underneath.

So, what do you do. Do you disregard your club, your sport and all of those things that you are passionate about or do you disregard the background and focus on the simple act of supporting. I, for my sins, do that latter and I know aht some will disagree and see that as wrong but to come out againts all of the plethora of wrongs and attrocities associated with sport in general would mean to effectively wipe the supporting of sport out of my life and I cannot do that.

Last edited:

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Only one thing stopping them becoming a force and that's the location.
I mean imagine Neymar strolling down the street at 2am after a night out and being accosted by a 20 stone Lycra clad beast with her bits out munching on a kebab the size of a Viking long boat, while one of her mates is taking a dump in a flower bed in a nearby garden. Just seems highly unlikely?

What do you mean, my wife’s a Geordie and that’s a class lass up here…