The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1740

No, but it is constantly raised on here by certain Liverpool fans, suggesting that he is repeatedly fouling and does not receive the cards that he should. My viewing of Liverpool is that Fabinho does the same role, makes those same fouls that go unpunished, so to hear the complaints about Fernandinho is pretty hollow and tedious.

Managers talk guff after games, particularly in the immediate aftermath when emotions are high. I stopped listening to postmatch interviews a while ago, they only irritate.

I think it's accurate and he gets away with more. I don't think any other player gets away with the same amount as he does across the board.

That's not his fault BTW. It's how it's refereed.

I'm not complaining about Fernandinho per se, it's more of a compliment.

We know refs don't referee 2 games identically. We see week after week, he'll give a free kick today and wave on tomorrow.

They're not robots and I certainly wouldn't want the to be neither but I'd like to see better refs but that's another whole debate.

Can we all just agree that Salah is the best in the world?

D

Deleted member 15344

No, but it is constantly raised on here by certain Liverpool fans, suggesting that he is repeatedly fouling and does not receive the cards that he should. My viewing of Liverpool is that Fabinho does the same role, makes those same fouls that go unpunished, so to hear the complaints about Fernandinho is pretty hollow and tedious.

Managers talk guff after games, particularly in the immediate aftermath when emotions are high. I stopped listening to postmatch interviews a while ago, they only irritate.

I don’t see Fabinho making those “unpunished” fouls at the same level as Fernandino- no player does , when Fabinho commits the clinical foul he is blown up and at times given the yellow card

Fernandinho had the knack of committing constant niggling little fouls and getting away with it - that’s the complaint that people have with him

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don’t see Fabinho making those “unpunished” fouls at the same level as Fernandino- no player does , when Fabinho commits the clinical foul he is blown up and at times given the yellow card

Fernandinho had the knack of committing constant niggling little fouls and getting away with it - that’s the complaint that people have with him
That's because you are seeing it through red glasses. The rest of are not and can see that there are plenty of others, your man included, who are no different. There are a group of players doing it, same as there are a group of players diving throughout the league. It is like pointing out that Kane is a diver, he is, whilst ignoring, in my case to keep things nice, that Richarlison is as bad. No team is pure so to keep pointing fingers is pointless.

D

Deleted member 1740

I find it laughable City cryarsing for yellow cards when Fernandinho has spent his whole city career doing exactly the same.

Oh and singing "one greedy barsteward" to milner was amusing when they've been overpaying most of their signings since they won the oil lottery??

D

Deleted member 1740

As its officially international break and I've no interest in England I'll sign off for the duration ?

D

Deleted member 15344

That's because you are seeing it through red glasses. The rest of are not and can see that there are plenty of others, your man included, who are no different. There are a group of players doing it, same as there are a group of players diving throughout the league. It is like pointing out that Kane is a diver, he is, whilst ignoring, in my case to keep things nice, that Richarlison is as bad. No team is pure so to keep pointing fingers is pointless.

I don’t have red glasses when looking at players like Rodri , Jorginho , Allen , Kante , Rice , Philips etc

All who don’t get away with the same amount as Fernadinho has done in the past

That was the 7th foul committed by Fernandino in that game.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes your correct.
But the discussion was that PEP thinks it’s only Liverpool and UTD who get away with it ,and said so on TV.
When he’s got one of the best at it

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

The key difference is that Fernandinho was getting away with 4-5 and even more, until Solskjaer highlighted it.

fabinho normally gets booked after 1 or 2 of them Fernandinho was definitely getting away with more.

Its the subtleties of an argument that need to be appreciated, and it just wasnt Liverpool fans, BTW, but believe that if you want to.

D

Deleted member 16999

Yes your correct.
But the discussion was that PEP thinks it’s only Liverpool and UTD who get away with it ,and said so on TV.
When he’s got one of the best at it
That’s not what he said, he was trying to make out Ref’s are influenced by the home crowd.

To quote Pep from his Sky interview "But it's Anfield, it's Old Trafford. In our situation a City player is sent off. It's clear. It was a second yellow.”

The link is the whole interview were he also states his admiration for Lpool and their fans.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
The key difference is that Fernandinho was getting away with 4-5 and even more, until Solskjaer highlighted it.

fabinho normally gets booked after 1 or 2 of them Fernandinho was definitely getting away with more.

Its the subtleties of an argument that need to be appreciated, and it just wasnt Liverpool fans, BTW, but believe that if you want to.

Last season Fernandiho (6/22) got more cards per foul than Firminho (6/29).

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don’t think there is any doubt imo

Fabinho , Viera , Keane etc yes they all play the same role and at times will have to take a yellow card for the team

Fernandino has always imo just taken it a little too far and it’s constantly fouling imo from him , he was at it from the first whistle and it was amazing how many times he got away with it

Players like Rodri , Kante , Jorginho , Fabinho and Allen play that role but its not 90 mins of niggling Fouls from them

Keane and Viera were totally different just animals on the pitch, if they were playing today they would hate it as they wouldn’t be able to play there game they would be sent off most weeks.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Keane and Viera were totally different just animals on the pitch, if they were playing today they would hate it as they wouldn’t be able to play there game they would be sent off most weeks.
They would adapt. They were both class players and class players can change. They couldn't play the same as they did then but that applies to many players through history. Others from the past were more one dimensional and would struggle but I don't think that would apply to those two, imo.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
OGS seems to have the full backing of the United board however the next 4 week's don't look particularly pleasant and, conceivably, the season could be over with the following fixtures...

Leicester (A)
Liverpool (H)
Spurs (A)
City (H)
Plus Atalanta home and away in the CL

I think the thing that saves him at the moment is the lack of viable alternatives however if someone were to come on the market and the games above don't produce points is he going to be close to the end?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That’s not what he said, he was trying to make out Ref’s are influenced by the home crowd.

To quote Pep from his Sky interview "But it's Anfield, it's Old Trafford. In our situation a City player is sent off. It's clear. It was a second yellow.”

The link is the whole interview were he also states his admiration for Lpool and their fans.
So he’s talking about the Milner foul when one of his own players is the best in the league at it.
He’s right it was a yellow !
The ref is influenced by the crowd we all know that.
Maybe the crowd at City need to shout at the ref more.

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
Am not going down the was it or was it not a penalty, Same with the yellow because of the rose tinted glasses view I would have.

Anyway a couple of things from yesterday, Mo Salah and Foden were a different class in game full of international winners. Mo unfortunately continues to do it. He turned internationals inside out, and I have said this before if that goal was scored in game Grimsby v Rochdale it’s good but it’s not a massive game. Yesterday was massive with a befitting goal.
Foden, I have followed his and Sanchos game carefully. Sancho when he left City went onto another level, Foden looked like he was being left behind, his progress was slow and steady. Yesterday showed for me that Foden has made the right decision in staying, yet Sancho seems to have stagnated a bit at Utd. I would like some thoughts on why?

Easiest question to answer. Sancho is playing under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer. So, he is playing in a team with no tactical direction, where the players pretty much have to figure things out themselves. At the least, Sancho needs to figure out the way his team mates play, which will take game time, because I doubt he'll pick much up in training. If anyone can destroy Ronaldo's final years as a player, it is Ole.

On the other hand, Foden is managed by Pep. Pep will have a very focused idea on what he wants from Foden to contribute at his best for the team. If Foden makes the worng decision, even something ridiculously minor, no doubt Pep would pick this up and give him detailed analysis of it after, the disadvantages it caused, and the benefits he'd have if he did something different. Ole wouldn't this, given that he cannot even spot the obvious problems, such as leaving a gaping hole in midfield for the opposition to counter in. Although, to be fair to Ole, from his permanent seated position he might not be able to see over the wall, and therefore not getting a good view of the pitch.